Profile for C. Lowe > Reviews

Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2
Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb horror, 18 Aug 2014
A worthy continuation of the Shining. I read the Shining again before tackling this follow on. Danny is now in his thirties and a troubled man who finally finds his "niche" in life in an care home where he helps the residents to pass over when their time has come. He is contacted by a young girl whose shining is stronger than his, and the story concerns Danny and the girl and his connection to the old Overlook Hotel which continues to haunt him. It was a real page turner and I hope that a screenplay for the film is in progress.

Wallander Collected Films 27-32 (The Final Season) [DVD]
Wallander Collected Films 27-32 (The Final Season) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Krister Henriksson
Price: 22.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end for the detective, 18 Aug 2014
I had watched the final episodes on BBC 4 and watching Kirster Henrikssons playing Wallanders slow decent into dementia was very emotional. The actress who plays his daughter Linda was excellent - it must have been very difficult to take on the role after the death of the previous actress. She and her father have at last formed a warm relationship.This had completed my Wallander collection, so I now hav episodes 1 - 32. I will certainly miss the character and the actor who gives the role far more depth of character than the awful Kenneth Brannagh interpretation.

Stellar Electric Family Wok
Stellar Electric Family Wok
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addition to kitchen, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Stellar Electric Family Wok
I bought this as a replacement for an old Sunbeam electric wok that was over 20 years old, but sadly no longe no stick so it took longer to clean than to cook. This is an excellent replacement. The instruction suggests using heat setting 8 for stir frying but I found setting 5/6 more than hot enough. It really only needs a quick wipe out with kitchen towel to clean it. I've used it for stir frys, curries, casseroles and for steaming a pudding and it performs equally well.

Braquo Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Braquo Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jean-Hugues Anglade
Price: 44.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up to series one & two, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Braquo Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I ought this as I had missed the third series on tv and wanted to catch up. I just hope I don't get caught up with law enforcers in France, they seem to be a law unto themselves, this time seeking revenge for a seriously injured colleague and doing nothing by the book. My only criticism is that all the characters look like they've not had a wash for weeks.

Harlequin (The Grail Quest, Book 1)
Harlequin (The Grail Quest, Book 1)
Price: 5.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one for horse lovers, 18 Aug 2014
I like historical novels but had never read Bernard Cornwell before. It was OK but I found the endless pages of battle description rather boring - there's only so many way ways you can describle the butchering of battle horses and soldiers - and kept skipping pages and pages of the book to get back to the story. I think there are 8 books in this series, but I don't think I will bother with the rest.

Acoustic Classics
Acoustic Classics
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Acoustic Classics (Audio CD)
A stripped back album of his most popular songs, just him and his guitar. A superb songwriter who isn't given the recognition he deserves (though he did get a MBE)

The Bridge: Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
The Bridge: Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofia Helin
Price: 25.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping viewing, 15 Jun 2014
This had me hooked when it was first shown on BBC4. The interaction between the two detectives is part of the appeal and the storyline keeps the attention from episode to episode. There is also a bit of humour in the way Martin and Saga react to some situations with Saga's inability to show emotion or spare someone's feeling by being tactful rather than truthful. I will be watching this (along with Wallander - the proper one not Kenneth "I'm an actor" Brannagh). The perfect antidote to a summer of football, tennis and commonwealth games

Polarized Clip On Flip Up Sunglasses
Polarized Clip On Flip Up Sunglasses
Offered by Commodities Online
Price: 7.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good!, 15 Jun 2014
Sorry to say I was somewhat swayed by the good reviews but despite careful measurement of my spect and ordering the correct size, they didn't quite fit the whole of my lens, everytime I flipped them up they popped off and the clips only just cleared the nose clips on my specs. Sorry to say it's a return for these.

The Magpies
The Magpies
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 23 May 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
This was quite a good pschological thriller with a slight twist at the end. I found I was getting a bit frustrated with the main character, he was a computer IT whizz so surely he could have sorted out the problems with his neighbours with a bit of well placed technology from somewhere like Maplins. But then the book would have been half the length. All in all I did quite enjoy it, and think it would make quite a good tv movie.

Dust (Dr. Kay Scarpetta Book 21)
Dust (Dr. Kay Scarpetta Book 21)
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Tired Scarpetta, 23 May 2014
Please Ms Cornwell, no more Scarpetta novels (and no Lucy, Marino, Benton spin offs either). Kay Scarpetta is getting to be a cliche. She seems to imagine that any male under 70 is madly in love with her, she encourages Marino while at the same time bemoaning the fact that he's madly in love with her and jealous of Benton (com to that Marino's becoming a cliche of a tired old cop) when in fact anyone else would tell him to get lost. A lot of this book is centred on going over an old case - must have been one book I missed - and the repercussions from that. Please, let's retire Scarpetta, Benton and Marino and let them live happily ever after somewhere far away where they can't bother us again. As for Lucy, she's obviously too young to retire and a fatal helicopter crash seems a little harsh. Maybe she could find her Ms Right and they can live off Lucy's fantastic fortune.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4