Profile for Nick Burrows > Reviews

Content by Nick Burrows

Nick Burrows (Staffordshire, UK)

Pearl Jam Twenty
Pearl Jam Twenty
by (Music writer) Jonathan Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (Hardcover)
Pearl Jam being my favourite band I thoroughly enjoyed this well put together book covering their first 20 years. If you're a fan you'll love it.

Superunknown
Superunknown
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars If any album is worth 5 stars....., 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Superunknown (Audio CD)
Superunknown is quite simply the best rock/metal (not gonna use the G word) album of the last century. Kerrang magazine reviewed the album on release and stated that this was the album that all other albums will be compared to as this is pretty near perfection.

The thing that makes this album so amazing is that it is so experimental and sometimes off the wall but it hits the spot and delivers on every level. Soundgarden didn't play it safe and make something easy for the masses to digest, oh no, they gave us some of the most thought provoking lyrics (Like Suicide, 4th of July) and rip your face off riffs (My Wave, Mailman) and put them with songs like "Half" and "Head Down" which challenged the listener. "Black Hole Sun" was the hit from the album but is far from the strongest song on here.

I bought the cd whilst visiting Seattle on its day of release so my cd ends with "Like Suicide" which I prefer as a full stop to the album.

Soundgarden never bettered this album and having seen them live three times, this tour was the best I saw them at. Tight but loose, heavy but tender, joyous but sad.

Songbook
Songbook

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY IMPRESSIVE STUFF, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
Having been a massive fan of Soundgarden and Audioslave (and Temple of the Dog) I was somewhat disapointed by Chris Cornell's first solo effort "Euphoria Morning". This, on the other hand is just brilliant. His trademark voice just belts out a list of songs spanning his entire career and his rekindled my interest in Cornell's music so much so that I'm planning on going to see one of his solo shows in June.

If you like heartfelt accoustic music with a soulful, powerful voice then look no further.

Unplugged
Unplugged
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing it, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)
I bought this cd years ago and I'm still playing it on a weekly basis in my car. Great reworkings of songs (Transformer Man, Like a Hurricane) mixed with old and new (for the time) songs works brilliantly. I can't recommend this enough. Buy it!

Harvest
Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Harvest (Audio CD)
Its all been said on these pages already but this album belongs in everybody's collection. Needle and the damage done is pure perfection. A must!

After The Gold Rush
After The Gold Rush

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE best albums......EVER!!, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: After The Gold Rush (Audio CD)
Quite simply one of the best albums ever written. If you buy one cd today make it this one. Stunning!

Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 16 Dec. 2011
For me this is one of the must have albums of all time. Two discs of pure quality showcasing what a fine songwriter Billy Corgan is and what amazing musicians the Pumpkins are. It's all been said throughout the rewiews on here already in some detail but I'd like to echo just how good this album is and I guarrantee you won't be let down