Profile for PsyGroover > Reviews

The Claimant
by Simon Anderson
Price: 8.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing history alive, 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Claimant (Paperback)
I'll confess that I don't often read historical novels, but this one had me hooked right from the devastating events of the first chapter. Set amid the unrest between the Houses of York and Lancaster in the 15th century, the book brings the period absolutely to life, painting a fascinating insight into life, economy and practical difficulties of the times. The story concerns a family feud which continues to escalate until the very last few pages, in which the Battle of Towton (possibly the largest, bloodiest battle to ever take place in Brtitain) is described in graphic detail, and provides an epic backdrop to the culmination of the book. This is a cleverly written book which reads like a big-budget film. Simon Anderson obviously has expansive historical knowledge of the times, which has made this thoroughly enjoyable read all the more convincing. All he needs to do now is write the much-needed sequel!

Roberts Chronoplus2 FM/MW Dual Alarm Clock with Instant Time Set
Roberts Chronoplus2 FM/MW Dual Alarm Clock with Instant Time Set
Price: 28.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Instant time set? Forget it!, 3 Aug 2013
I bought this because it boasted "instant time set" but mine is always 14 minutes fast. I emailed Roberts Customer Services about this but I received no reply. Save yourself a few quid and buy an alarm clock that you can set the time yourself, and have a clock showing the correct time into the bargain.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 2:20 PM BST

Further
Further
Price: 7.33

1.0 out of 5 stars Blimey! Amazing what people can get away with these days ..., 13 May 2013
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
I love the Chemical Brothers, though I think generally they come across much better live than on CD. This album though, which I bought on the strength of all the 5-star reviews already on Amazon, is a major disappointment. It just goes on and on, with each track lacking any real interest or distinction. I can only assume that you need to do a lot of drugs to make it sound good. Previous reviews do acknowledge that it lacks the big beats and claim it's more melodic ... whilst I'd agree about the beats, melodic? No way ... it's like Orbital wrapped up in bed with a streaming cold. I regret buying it, and am disappointed because I know the CB's can do a lot better than this.

Jack The Giant Killer [DVD]
Jack The Giant Killer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kerwin Mathews
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.13

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the new version of the film starring Ewan McGregor, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Jack The Giant Killer [DVD] (DVD)
Despite the release date being misleadingly displayed as 2013, this is actually the original 1962 version of the film. When I mistakenly bought it thinking it was the new version starring Ewan McGregor, I applied for an online refund and amazon very kindly said "Keep it, it's on us!", so I got this old film for free. This is not intended as a review of the film, just to warn people that it isn't the new 2013 film starring Ewan McGregor.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 12:01 PM BST

Ideology
Ideology
Offered by Candle Mambo
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly great trancey techno, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Ideology (Audio CD)
I have piles of psy-trance and techno CDs but this one is easily my favourite. It's just lovely, lush, and every time I play it I notice something new. It's a journey that starts with an awesome, pulsing psytrance/indian meld called "Kali", then if that hasn't got you up & dancing mentally around the room then "Kundalini" will, followed by three more wonderfully crafted tracks, and then the first and only time I've heard a techno / taiko drumming mix, "Kojiki" which is so stunningly different it still surprises me today. Then finally the awesome "Avalon" which was first released on a Return To The Source compilation CD, it's just lovely, and best of all the end isn't drowned out by mad aircraft noise (The Orb's Alex Patterson must've had an off day when he did the RTTS compilation!)... so a perfect end to another excellent 70 minutes from Glastonbury's best trance act - Celestium. This CD is pricey, but only because it's so rare. If you can get a copy, don't delay.