Profile for RobinLondon > Reviews

Content by RobinLondon

RobinLondon

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)
Offered by NG Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks pretty good & works well, ideal for connecting to a Mac, 15 May 2014
I originally ordered the Samsung S24D590PLX as a display for my Macbook Pro but it was out of stock at Amazon, so I got this instead. I'm glad I did, I'd recommend it for the following reasons:

1. It has Display Port & Mini Display Port inputs (plus 2 HDMI inputs) whereas most monitors only have HDMI. So no need to buy a special cable or converter if you have a Mac. Dell even includes a Mac friendly cable in the box.

2. It's height adjustable, I couldn't find any other monitors at this price point with this feature.

3. Image quality is excellent, and it has an IPS panel which is better than the TN panels on cheaper monitors, and offers a wide viewing angle.

4. The design isn't bad, with a very thin bezel and a brushed silver stand that matches the Mac (not as beautiful as a Thunderbolt display, of course).

5. There's a separate USB charging socket to plug your phone or tablet into at the back of the unit.

Note that you can't register the monitor online with Dell without a service tag; I couldn't find one on the monitor.

All in all, highly recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:54 PM BST

TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
Offered by Ballicom International

2.0 out of 5 stars Product works well but fiddly to set up & support patchy, 12 Dec 2012
I would say I am pretty good with tech but I have no real knowledge of networking. I bought this product to improve the internet access upstairs (the router is set up downstairs).

Having read the reviews, I saw some people had an easy set up & some people had real problems. Sadly I was in the second category.

The first step, connecting via the WPS button, went well. (A word of advice - you don't need to hold down the range extender button on the TP box indefinitely. Just press it until the light starts flashing, and then leave the 2 boxes to talk to each other.)

However, once I got the TP box installed upstairs, I couldn't access the internet. This is where it all went wrong:

1. First call to TP - we can't help you because the TP box & your router have the same IP address. No solution offered.

2. Rang my ISP who talked me through how to change the IP address of my router. Still no joy.

3. Rang TP again - this guy unfortunately had very bad English so got nowhere.

4. Rang TP yet again & this time the agent spoke good English & we *eventually* managed to get it working. Turns out that changing the IP address of the router was a bad move (it meant my laptop couldn't access the web any more). You can actually change the IP address of the TP box instead.

So, to sum up, if you aren't confident with tech/computers, I would give this a miss. Even if you are, expect a lot of messing around if it doesn't connect up first time via the push button set up.

Matterhorn
Matterhorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible emotional rollercoaster, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Matterhorn (Kindle Edition)
I've read a number of war novels & Matterhorn is the best of the genre in my opinion. This novel puts you in the shoes of the Marines fighting the NVA in a hostile jungle. A harrowing, incredible, gripping story. It should be compulsory reading for politicians who so often blithely send young men to their deaths.

Three points struck me in particular. One, the author's obvious knowledge & experience. Two, how much responsibility was given to junior officers in Vietnam at such ridiculously young ages. Three, how the Marines, in this story at least, were betrayed by the brass.

Red Flags by Juris Jurjevics is another great Vietnam novel but a lighter read than Matterhorn.

The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer also brilliantly relays the experiences of the ordinary soldier but this time in World War 2. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque covers the same territory, but from the perspective of German soldiers in World War 1.