Profile for Mr. P. Robinson > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Robinson

Mr. P. Robinson (England, UK)

The Venetian House
The Venetian House

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 19 July 2014
A wonderful romantic story, covering two different generations and love lost and re found - sometimes after many years have passed. I would really recommend it to anyone wanting a good read!

Double Rail 24 inch White
Double Rail 24 inch White

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Double Rail 24 inch White
We wanted a replacement towel rail exactly the same as a previous one that we'd had for years as we didn't have to drill the tiles again! This one was perfect and is doing a really good job and seems very sturdy.

Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headset (Xbox 360)
Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 Headset (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, dying after 18 months, 17 Dec 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm speaking as a long-term user of these headphones and I can honestly say they're very good. The sound quality is crisp and well balanced for nice bass and great treble (with some tweaking). I used these on PC as well as Xbox and they work well on both. It's a slightly plasticky design but seems reasonably durable (I dropped mine more than a few times). And most importantly they're soft, comfy, and fit the ears snugly, which is more than can be said for the default 360 headset.

However there are some catches (hence why I dropped a star). The first is wire spaghetti. There are a LOT of wires with this thing, and they can get tangled in the most elaborate ways ever (to the point where boy scouts might have trouble naming some of the knots I've seen).

The second is the volume control, which is on the side of the box connecting the wires so it can blast you with an increase in volume if you jog it (dumb design). I selotaped mine at a comfortable level.

The third is the microphone. I found it very quiet when I tried to use it for recording on the PC, even when jacked up to maximum recording volume. Though to be fair it wasn't exactly designed for that anyway. I haven't tested it on the 360.

The fourth, and this is one to look out for, is the rubber bit where the wire enters the headphone cups (I'm sure there's a technical term for it but I'm no sound man). After a year or so the wire started to come loose from it (so it could move around up inside the ear cup and come further out than it should). After a while this broke the connection to the right cup, so now I've got mono headphones unless I hold the wire in at a particular point (selotape and glue may yet fix this). Admittedly I probably fiddled with the wire a little more than I should have (I fidget, so sue me), but it should have been held more securely in the first place.

These only have a year's warranty which is a shame. At the same time I haven't found a better deal for comfortable Xbox 360 compatible headphones. So overall I say go for it. Its foibles can be overcome.

Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset (Standard Packaging)
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset (Standard Packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, but not for Xbox, 17 Dec 2009
"But why would it be for Xbox anyway?" I hear you ask. Well, I read a review that claimed this headset worked on their PS3. So naturally, I thought even Microsoft wouldn't be silly enough to let their own technology work on a competing console and then not support it on their own system. WRONG. So to confirm, this headset *does not* work with Xbox 360 at all, in case you were hoping for a cheap alternative to the Turtle Beach X1 (like me). Oh well!

I would say that the sound quality is just slightly above average (though a lot better than what I would expect for £15), and just a little tinny/muffled at times. You get used to it though. It's very important to make sure they're snug on your ears by adjusting the headband appropriately (I found this a little tricky, but then I have a rather large head) - that fixes the majority of sound problems. You can also set it to DVD quality mode (48000hz) under the sound devices properties to improve things slightly.

It's comfortable, and has reasonably good sound cancellation (not perfect, but that's annoying for home use anyway as you can't hear anyone). The sound blocking is a bit better than most other PC/Xbox headsets I've tried though. And yes, it really does do everything through one USB port (I never realised this was possible) which is spiffy enough in itself, as it's literally plug and play (no jacks!). Vista and Windows 7 recognise it almost instantly and install the drivers automatically (provided you're online), no need for the included CD. One thing these phones seriously lack is a "tone" functionality (bass/treble balancing) which is a bit annoying as sometimes the bass/treble doesn't sound quite right on them.

I would say overall, compared to my previous headset at 3x the price, the sound is slightly less good. Note I say SLIGHTLY. For a third the price. I can't really argue with that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2011 11:15 AM BST

Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control
Nikon ML-L3 Remote Control
Offered by SARRAR

3.0 out of 5 stars Use with Nikon D40, 2 July 2009
I've found that this remote doesn't work 100% well with my Nikon D40. I don't know if other cameras are more receptive, but I find with the D40 it's very directional, sometimes even to the point of having to hold it fairly close (but not too close) to the shutter button to get it to actually fire the shutter. It never works on any side of the camera except the right-hand side with the shutter button (presumably where the infra-red sensors are).

It's still a very useful thing, it's just initially figuring out where to point it (and it seems to vary as to precisely where on the right side of the camera that is) can get annoying, and may cause you to miss "the shot". If you want to use this to get action shots and want to be 100% sure that it will fire the shutter with every press, I would avoid it and get a cable release instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2010 4:20 PM GMT

Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter
Hoya 52mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised! But check your lens diameter..., 25 Nov 2008
As M. Potter says, this is meant as a lens protector, and it works just fine in that capacity. I've noticed no changes in my photographs. I don't know about it helping with haze or whatever, but if you want this as a basic cheap lens protector it works fine in that regard.

But make sure to check your lens diameter before buying! You can either find this at the bottom of your lens barrel near the camera body or at the end on the rim around the lens glass itself. There should be a Ø symbol with a number next to it. This is your lens diameter. If it says Ø 52 then this filter will fit your lens. If not then you need to buy a filter with the appropriate diameter. I can confirm that this fits perfectly on the Nikon D40 kit lens (the 18-55mm).

Also be careful with the screw thread - it can be very easy not to attach it properly so it slides around or is crooked. It can take a few tries to get it on properly, but I expect this is the case with all screw-in filters.

All in all this is a good investment. Scratching this £13 protector rather than your £75+ lens means it pretty much pays for itself should the worst happen!

Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)
Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the price to drop! Or rent it first..., 16 Nov 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
For people who don't want to read the whole thing, here's a basic summary of my opinion of this title:

Pros:

- It's a new experience.
- The first few levels and last few are pretty fun provided you can put up with dying quite a lot.
- When the combat and gameplay do work together it is fun.
- The visuals are nice!
- The music/sound is quite good.
- There are "that is SO cool!" moments that almost make up for the moments of frustration.
- The levels are usually pretty open with multiple ways to approach a problem.
- The story isn't bad!

Cons:

- Combat system is hard to handle and quite often unavoidable in the later levels.
- Too much combat considering the system is flawed.
- Dodgy level design in some parts.
- High difficulty even on Normal, although Easy does alleviate this somewhat.
- Story could be better.
- You get railroaded at times - you don't always have multiple path choices.
- You can get lost quite easily at times and the in-game guide system isn't up to much when you do.

Things to keep in mind: you can pick guns off the floor with Y, which helps immensely. If you're not an uber FPS fan then play on Easy, I got owned on Normal, and even on Easy be prepared to die a lot.

Basically my advice is don't pay the full price for this game like I did. Wait for it to drop to say £20-25 or so, it might be more worth it then. I wouldn't say this game is worth the £35 or so I paid. I know people hate hearing this, but it most likely isn't going to be as fun (or as long lasting) as you think it will be. Or, rent it first!

So to the review. I've played all of the full game having loved the demo - so much that I pre-ordered after playing the demo about 25 times. I really thought I'd just find it enjoyable, face each challenge with good-hearted calm and just love the experience.

I have written this review to warn you that this game may not always be like this, or be as long lasting as you might think. The main game literally lasts 3 hours at most, including times when you play the level through for the first time and get stuck. There are race modes that you can do if you have 1337 sk1llz and can complete each level in record time (speed runs of levels are unlocked at game completion), or just want to see how fast you can do it, which gives a little replay value. I completed it within 2 days of buying. The demo level is the most enjoyable in the game as far as I've seen as well. Level design is not as good as you might expect, in fact in some areas it's downright poor.

You can get very lost and disorientated at times, mainly when you play levels for the first time. What makes this worse is the fact that you are CONSTANTLY getting SHOT AT. You don't get much breathing room at all. I think this is supposed to give you a sense of excitement and thrill (and it might for some) but for me personally it just becomes irritating and distracting a lot of the time. Especially when you get boxed in with literally 4-6 guys with machine guns wailing on you while you scrabble around for the one route to escape that the designers decided to put in. Yes that's right, in some areas you are comprehensively railroaded into taking one action, multiple paths be damned. You can use B to get a rough pointer to where you should be and it is helpful sometimes, but when you're stuck it doesn't really pull through (it points you at your goal location, not necessarily at the next correct wall/object/whatever to use to move on).

When you DO get 5 seconds to enjoy the acrobatics without being panicked by weapons fire, it can be great. But the way some parts of the levels are designed, at least for me, make the whole experience feel laborious rather than fun a lot of the time. This mainly occurs in the middle of the game, Chapters 4-6, where you must perform a series of Bond-esque but not very fun or practical tasks that will leave you grating your teeth. The game picks up again towards the end in chapters 7-9.

The combat is often clumsy, frankly. Normally the only viable strategy I found is to run INTO the gunfire and try and press Y at the correct moment before he kills you. Then I use the gun to kill the other guys, if I'm lucky. I have to forget the acrobatic wall running and leaping off to kick the guy and take his gun like we were shown in the videos. I find it is rarely practical to try anything fancy and they seem to keep aim on you even when you're wall running as if they were expecting you to do this and it doesn't phase them. If you try anything you tend to die rather quickly.

The storyline isn't very gripping, but it's not bad. The cutscenes are done in a weird half anime style that I don't personally find very appealing, but it's tolerable. You care what happens to Faith I guess. Most of the acting is pretty good, except for one character, Jacknife, who is awful. There are a couple of twists but I found that I saw them coming. It could be worse but it could be better.

Don't get me wrong, this game is far from awful, but it's also not as good as you might expect from all the hype. Not full price good anyway. It's not an epic game. I would recommend it to you but not until the price drops.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2011 10:06 PM GMT

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 29 Oct 2008
This is a great alternative to having to wipe your lens with a microfibre cloth, which I prefer not to do unless I absolutely have to (cos I'm a ruddy paranoid!).

It isn't 100% effective, but it's near enough. There was one large piece of dust on the lens that had been there for a number of days that wouldn't budge even with a close strong squeeze - but since using this after every shooting session I haven't had any dust that I couldn't dislodge, so it doesn't lose any stars. Great buy!

Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Rogue Galaxy (PS2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Level 5 Take a Step Backwards, 31 Dec 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rogue Galaxy (PS2) (Video Game)
This is all my opinion on the game, you may think differently, but to me, this game is suspiciously similar to Dark Chronicles, an earlier title from Level 5. The graphics, the music, the combat system, and even the inventory artwork and the way everything feels is very similar.

Now there's nothing particularly wrong with this, the combat is nice, and I like the system it uses, hence my 3 star rating on the fun factor (not 4 since I expect it gets a little old after a while). There are some interesting features such as combining weapons, and creating your own items in the factory. The gameplay is the good point on this one, though I agree that the environments do seem rather copy and pasted.

The main bad point for me is the dialogue. Everything that happens is explained in a contrived fashion by the characters who seem to be very slow at tacking on to what's happening. It constantly feels like you're being patronised and spoonfed information, with the occasional cheesy schmaltz scene inbetween. The character voices grate on you after a while, and it isn't very well acted, though the actors were given a poor script.

The characters are quite cliché, without a single original character among them. I realise it's not easy to make original characters these days, but they could have at least tried. The starry eyed mid teens boy who dreams of adventure, the pretty girl with attitude, the "mysterious" dark character with the deep gravelly voice (see: Auron from FFX only poorly acted), and a C3P0 rip-off as a previous reviewer mentioned. There's also this strange little scottish dwarf creature and a talking cat that still aren't terribly original, and their voices grate even more than the other characters. It wouldn't be so bad if this was some sort of spoof and the cutscenes were done in a very tongue-in-cheek fashion, but they try to be deadly serious. It doesn't work for me. Even the villains look ridiculous and so far one of the villains I've encountered was simply "misunderstood" and missed this dead girl, hence why he turned evil. Aww.

The baffling thing is that despite the fact that the characters and dialogue seem aimed at young children, the gameplay itself can actually be quite challenging at times. So I don't really know what age range they thought they were aiming for in the end!

All in all I would say buy this only if you're desperate for a new Japanese RPG.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2010 3:05 PM BST