Profile for flocat > Reviews

Content by flocat

flocat

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book before you try 'sleep training'!, 27 Aug. 2011
I was so sick of hearing and reading that my baby wouldn't learn to go to sleep on her own or sleep through the night until I let her 'cry it out' and learn to 'self-soothe', and was so thankful when I found this book. I love the honesty of this book. It isn't a doctrine and the author truly understands what it is like to be a parent. The suggestions are realistic and respectful of babies and parents. I think authors of 'sleep training' books are fear mongers because my baby is 6 months old and now sleeps through the night from 7pm to 7am with a dream feed at 10pm and I have never left her to 'cry it out' or 'self soothe'. Our evenings used to be a nightmare but by following some of the advice in this book, they have improved and we now have our evenings back to ourselves as our lovely girl is always tucked up peacefully in her cot by 7pm. This book explains what is realistic to expect a baby to do as well which I think is really important - for example, the authors definition of 'sleeping through' is a 5 hours stretch which when you have been being woken every 2 hours is bliss!... and actually realistic! Rather than suddenly expecting baby to go from waking every 2 hours to sleeping 12 hours straight, this book makes you realise that young babies DO wake and it is normal and doesn't mean they have a sleeping disorder or need 'sleep training'. It may take longer and more effort on your part than just leaving your baby to cry themselves to sleep but I really recommend the advice in this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2014 1:27 PM BST

The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
by William Sears MD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Recommend to all insecure parents!, 27 Aug. 2011
I really recommend this book to all parents who are feeling insecure about their style of parenting. I was sick of hearing and reading that by holding, rocking and frequently breatfeeding my newborn I would be creating 'bad habits' and really wanted a book that reassured me that my instincts were right. This book does just that!
There is so much information in this book and it is completely non-judgemental. Anyone who thinks the Gina Ford style and 'sleep training' sounds a bit barbaric should defintiely get this book.

Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
by Annabel Karmel

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful book for first time parent!, 27 Aug. 2011
This book really helped me get my head around weaning. The meal planners are really useful especially when you are disorganised like me and just want a bit of direction! Also, I am not great in the kitchen and this book gives basic instructions like how long to steam certain veggies and fruits for and what can and can't be put in the freezer. I am not on to the toddler section yet but looking forward to trying those recipes for the whole family! I wonder if you have already been through the weaning process whether this book would be of much use - it might be too basic for parents with more than one child? Also, if you are looking to do baby-led weaning then this book is not for you as it is very much puree-focused with no mention of finger foods.

BT 250 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 250 Digital Baby Monitor
Offered by Ecotech Spares Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Runs out of battery VERY quickly, 27 Aug. 2011
I really wouldn't recommend this monitor. I have had two of this monitor and the battey goes flat after 2 hours! I thought the first one we got was faulty but the second one did exactly the same thing so unless we are really unlucky and got two faulty ones, this monitor is a waste of time! Yes, the sound is very, very clear and you really can hear your baby breath but I wonder if that is why the batteries go flat so quickly - ie; the HD sound just drains all the battery?! I have now got a monitor that just cuts in when my baby makes a noise, I prefer that but if you do want to hear EVERYTHING then this monitor does deliver. You just have to deal with keeping it in the charger constantly. Also, the 'TALK' button is on the side of the parent unit which means it often gets accidentally pressed when you pick the monitor up! Nightmare when you have finally got your baby to sleep! Plus, it beeps or vibrates when the temperature gets above a certain level and you cant' change the temperature thresholds, they are preset - which means if it is warm weather, the monitor keeps beeping or vibrating everytime the temperature goes up until you press the 'ok' button.

In The Night Garden Igglepiggle Rattle & Teether Toy
In The Night Garden Igglepiggle Rattle & Teether Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby loves this toy!, 27 Aug. 2011
I got this toy for my daughter after she seemed to really enjoy playing with her cousin's one! Although it is recommended for much older babies, she was about 3months when we got it and she loved it straight away. Before she had this toy she showed no interest in her baby gym but as soon as I attached Igglepiggle, she became interested in the gym! At first she used to enjoy just staring at the colours and as she got older she enjoyed batting it around. She is now 6 months and still enjoys playing with it and of course chewing it!

Ultrasound: Music for the Unborn Child
Ultrasound: Music for the Unborn Child
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Puts my baby to sleep every night and nap time!, 27 Aug. 2011
This is a lovely CD with a great selection of music on it. I bought it to listen to and play to my bump when I was pregnant and I now use it every nap time and bedtime to put my 6 month old to bed! I also often play it in the car - when my daughter gets aggitated in the backseat and I am not able to stop, often I will put this CD on and it calms her right down. Whether it works because the music is calming or because I played it to her when she was in utero, I don't know!? Even if it didn't have such a calming effect on my baby I would still recommend it as it is a lovely selection of music and I enjoy listening to it through the monitor!! I have two other classical music CDs for babies and this one is by far the best.

Brother Max Slimline Milk Powder Dispenser
Brother Max Slimline Milk Powder Dispenser
Offered by homeshop3000

3.0 out of 5 stars Average - wish I hadn't bought it, 27 Aug. 2011
I wish I had just bought a basic powder dispenser. The brother max dispenser is totally overengineered! The lid is impossible to clean and dry because of the narrow grooves, it is stiff to open and turn to release powder and it is needlessly bulky. On top of all that the cap has already broken off! The only positive thing I can think of about the dispenser is that the tube opening does go right into the bottle so it means you are less likely to spill any powder. I wouldn't recommend this product as it doesn't do anything better than a basic dispenser would do so why spend the money?! I feel silly every time I bring it out in public as it looks so overengineered yet doesn't do anything except dispense formula powder... badly!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 2:23 PM GMT

Love and Limerence: The Experience Of Being In Love
Love and Limerence: The Experience Of Being In Love
by Dorothy Tennov

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and Limerence - brilliant, helpful book, 21 Jan. 2011
This book is so easy to read and really interesting. It really helped me to understand a lot of my strange behaviour and thoughts to do with relationships. I really recommend it to anyone who thinks they are 'limerent' and wants to find out more.

Judge Vista Stainless Steel Saucepan 20cm
Judge Vista Stainless Steel Saucepan 20cm
Offered by U Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect sized saucepan - Judge Vista Stainless Steel Saucepan 20cm, 21 Jan. 2011
Got this saucepan to replace our old 20cm saucepan which I completely ruined by forgetting boiling potatoes on the stove! It is a great size as it is deep and perfect for most cooking. The draining holes are really handy too. Judge Vista saucepans are great quality and I would definitely recommend them.