Profile for Diana E. Payne > Reviews

Content by Diana E. Payne

Diana E. Payne

Page: 1 | 2
De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Coffee Machine ESAM4200 - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so glad I bought this machine, 5 Oct. 2014
I read all the reviews, which were very helpful, especially all the tips learned from experience. I am so glad I bought this machine. I have only had it two weeks but it is a joy. I read the handbook and keep it near by - both good things to do. It makes excellent coffee from beans (I haven't tried the ground option yet, but am glad it's there.) You can adjust the grind and the amount in your cup. The milk frother works well, and I try to take off the tubes and drop them into a cup of water after use, to prevent clogging. A warning if you do this: it gets hot! Obvious but worth saying. If you don't like froth, you can always avoid using it and heat a little milk in the microwave first. I put my cup underneath the spouts when I turn it on and the initial hot water rinse heats the cup before I make the coffee; I don't like lukewarm drinks. Yes, it is noisy, but I have put two thin cork place mats underneath and that absorbs some of the sound. A minor niggle for an excellent product at a good price. ( I know of a similar one in the family that cost almost 100% more.)

A Commonplace Killing
A Commonplace Killing

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story and true sense of character and place, 18 Dec. 2013
Sian Busby here tells the story of murder, but comes at it from different points of view, which converge towards the end. Her evocation of the desolation and grimness of post-war London is immaculate. Her gift here is that it is done that effortlessly. No jolly cockneys all pulling together - this I suspect - is nearer the truth. The principal characters are human and believable, and her meticulous research drops in little nuggets here and there which establish it firmly in reality. The threepenny bits used for suspenders definitely rang a bell, for example.

And yet it is not depressing - merely fascinating. The story unfolds cleverly from the point of view of the blonde Lillian and her sad home life and the policeman, as they tend to be, a little bit battered and worn down by life, but dogged and honest, and disarmingly crossed in love and full of impossible yearning.

It ticks a lot of boxes without trying, and I enjoyed it very much.

Sian Busby is a great loss, not only to fiction but movingly to Robert Peston, who finished her final transcription as a gesture of love and benediction. A brave and gifted lady.

Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25  L/8 oz) - Black
Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25 L/8 oz) - Black
Offered by Bright Sparks Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 19 Sept. 2013
I love that this does such a good job with a little bit of manual action. Just fill to the marked level with skimmed milk, warm if you like, and pump a dozen or so times. Result: good, thick, stiff foam. Creamy coffee. Lovely!

Silverline 200111 Heavy Duty Punch Pliers 2-4.5 mm
Silverline 200111 Heavy Duty Punch Pliers 2-4.5 mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - once I'd opened it!, 1 Feb. 2012
This is just what I wanted for extra belt holes etc. However, I was completely baffled when I first opened the packaging. I couldn't open or move the mechanism at all. Fortunately I read some other review comments and followed the recommendation to move the wheel round until it was between 'spokes'. Even then I had to encourage the little silver catch to spring open and loosen the mechanism. Thereafter it was a doddle.

Willow Weaving 3 Basket Bench + Cushion PB16
Willow Weaving 3 Basket Bench + Cushion PB16

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 15 Mar. 2011
Nice little unit - smart and well built. It isn't huge, but stores a few sets of shoes and slippers by the back door nicely, with a handy cushion bench to sit on while changing footwear.

Disney Cars Mack Transporter & 15 Die Caset Cars
Disney Cars Mack Transporter & 15 Die Caset Cars

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but overpriced, 1 Nov. 2010
This same product is sold by the Disney Store at almost half the price!! Lovely toy but will get it from Disney instead.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gift, 30 Jun. 2010
Lovely pictures, covers all the important moments of the christening. Well presented in a nice box to keep it.

20 Giant Chalks
20 Giant Chalks
Offered by Baby Craft

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice chunky chalk pieces, 30 Jun. 2010
This review is from: 20 Giant Chalks (Toy)
NIce chunky pieces of chalk, could do with brighter colours but overall good quality and reasonable price.

Fiddly Flowerpetals
Fiddly Flowerpetals

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, 30 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Fiddly Flowerpetals (MP3 Download)
Bought this song for my children but it's the grownups in the house that dance to it and sing it!! The children too!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 30 Jun. 2010
Like this blackboard very much, it's sturdy and easy to clean. Good quality and reasonable price.

Page: 1 | 2