Profile for N. A. Preston Barnes > Reviews

Content by N. A. Preston ...

N. A. Preston Barnes "PC junkie" (Reading UK)

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)
Offered by sotel-germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but beware, 10 Sep 2014
Elegant monitor that does the job, with plenty of input possibilities. My only reticence in giving the full 5 stars is based on a recent incident. I left my desk, and turned off the monitor, at the same time as putting the laptop to sleep. Next morning the monitor refused to start when the laptop resumed operating. Nothing seemed to work, tried different leads, different plugs. Was about to pack it up and return it when I remembered the instructions. Having read through them I found a reference to a 'Lock' function. I held the power button (alright the touch sensitive location of the power button) for 10 seconds, and marvellously the monitor sprang to life. Phew. I'll have to watch for that next time. I was about to scrub Dell from my list of preferred suppliers, amazing how an incident like that can sour your morning.

101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die (Revised & Updated)
101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die (Revised & Updated)

5.0 out of 5 stars simply fascinating, 28 May 2014
For someone who recognises they love whiskey but knows nothing about the subject, this is just the sort of book to ignite the passion to discover more. I'm already clearing some shelf space, and getting my nose and credit card ready.

AZATOM Tune-Stream ***Turn your Docking Station into a Wireless Bluetooth Speaker*** Play Wireless Music from any iPhone, any Bluetooth-enabled Mobile - Tablet - Laptop (including Samsung, Sony, HTC, Blackberry's and all other Bluetooth MP3 Players). Requires No Seperate Charging. Allows you to control your music wirelessly. Very Simple to use. Create your wireless speaker system at a fraction of the cost of investing in a new docking station.
Offered by 4 COOL TECHNOLOGY

2.0 out of 5 stars seems to work but..., 26 Oct 2012
I bought this so that I could use my brand new HTC phone with a brand new Zeppelin air. All the lights on the bluetooth flash in the required sequence, I can pair it with the phone, so it works. However, no sound emerges from the speakers. I made sure an old ipod worked (i.e. Zeppelin not in AIR mode), but with the bluetooth gizmo the Zeppelin seemed to think nothing was attached, and went to sleep. So, if you want this for a Zeppelin I would suggest you try else where.

Update: Just read the small print (RTFM!) It seems the azatom only works with docks that accept an analogue signal. The Zeppelin is pure digital. That would explain the lack of noise then.

Navitech Black Sync & Charge Docking Cradle Station for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich 7 Inch "

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful bit of kit, 23 Aug 2012
Instead of faffing around trying to remember where you put the charge lead, I just use this. Pop it on each evening and I know my Galaxy Tab 7 is going to be ready for the next day fully charged. Simple but effective.

Quantum of Solace (PC)
Quantum of Solace (PC)
Offered by PNA247

2.0 out of 5 stars Woeful, 27 Dec 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
In summary, for those trying to get a feel for user feedback prior to buying, beware. Everyone likes a good first-person shooter, with levels that ramp up the difficulty. I was just getting in to it, enjoying the vaguely Bond atmosphere, when the game changed to a bizarre bit where you have to move a cross hair over a moving target. No, let me put that another way. Instead of trying to hit bad guys through your gun sight, banging off shots when you are close, you have a sort of mini-game where you try to move a sluggish cursor across the screen to match up perfectly with a sort of bulls eye. I tried repeatedly for some time, failing miserably. Maybe I should admit to not being a young hot shot gamer, but my enjoyment, from a gently rising curve, fell off a cliff. Suffice to say, I have un-installed it. Maybe I should have tried an easier setting. It would have been nice to be able to lower the difficulty setting for this bit, but I couldn't find a way of doing it. The thought of finding more sections like this made me quit at that point. I'm going back to Call of Duty.