Profile for Mr. Rj Robles > Reviews

Content by Mr. Rj Robles

Mr. Rj Robles (Trowbridge, UK)

Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400
Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400

5.0 out of 5 stars As described... it destroys hum!, 20 Oct 2014
This box is a fantastic problem solver for ground loop problems, and resolved a high frequency hiss in my home recording setup.

My recording setup is as follows; mic/line>behringer mixer>audio interface (USB)>PC.

I use the SUB-outs from the mixer for recording (into the audio interface>PC) and the MAIN out(s) for monitoring. To do this I loop the mix from the audio interface LINE OUT back into the mixer. However, this creates a nice ground loop, which manifested itself as high frequency hiss/computer whine.

After a few days scratching my head over the problem, I stumbled across the Hum Destroyer. I connected it between the interface LINE OUT and the respective mixer channels and... voila. Hum Destroyed.

Couldnt be happier for £18. These problems can easily fuel headaches, and in my case a mild sense of madness so I'm chuffed that this solved it!

I'm led to understand that this is probably just qty 2, 1:1 audio xformers in a box so I was tempted to make one, but for this price you may as well buy it and save the time.

Purchased mine direct from Amazon (not a seller) for £17.77. Bargain. Shipping was free, fast and could be tracked.

Behringer X2222USB Xenyx 22 Input 2/2 Bus Mixer
Behringer X2222USB Xenyx 22 Input 2/2 Bus Mixer

4.0 out of 5 stars High recommended!, 2 Sep 2014
This mixer was an upgrade for me. I'd previously been using a smaller 2 mic input behinrger mixer which only had one aux send and no inserts; I wanted a mixer with this funcaility to feed a looper from an aux send, as well as adding reverb. Those in the market for mixers will no doubt be aware that inserts and multiple sends/outputs are only available on large mixers, hence my choice of the x2222usb.

On the whole, tHis mixer peforms beautifully and Im very happy with my purchase. The are certainly more pros thans cons!

PROS
The Sub group is a nice bonus for me to supplement my basic home recording setup. I foresee that this could be useful for monitoring/recording vocals i.e. sending dry vocals through the sub group outputs (to a recording device) whilst monitoring the vocals (with the main mix) with reverb.
The compressors are nice and transparent. I feared that they might be "squishy" but they sound good to my ears.
Each main (Mic) channel has a mute, solo, main and sub group switch.
Each main (Mic) channel has 3 sends and an insert.
The phones/control room has a nice bank of switches to dictate what your monitoring through phones/control room outs.
Ease of use is worthy of note. I've been using it for a few days and already am confortable with most of the functions. Highly recommended for those wanting an introduction into PA/recoridng/mixing/live sound equipement.

CONS
The other built in effects are ok for the price, but each preset just seems too much. You can tame it by adjusting the channel and master send/return volumes, but the ability to configure one of the parameters would be nice. This can be overcome by inserting your own rev/fx unit. For my purposes, its a non-issue.
All the pots are plastic shaft types and probably PCB mounted. This not uncommon these days, but Im wary that if these shap, replacement will be tricky it not near impossible (hence 4 stars and not 5).

***Im aware of the USB in/out but deliberately not mentioned as I ahvent tested it. One youtube video suggested that the USB out can be configured so that each Mic channel is outputted individually via USB and therefore could be simulaneously recorded individually. I do suspect this to be false. I suspect the USB out only carries the stereo main mix L and R. USB is still useful for home pc recording though.***

Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones
Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Stable and comfrotable sport head phones with excellent sound !!, 17 Sep 2008
I've have been trying to find a pair of headphones suited for use when running. I have tried JVC, SONY, KOSS among other. My requirements are;

- Comfort
- Hassle free use; fed up of headphones becoming dislodged !!
- Convenient cord design
- Sound quality

The PMX70 fit the bill perfectly and I couldn't fault them.

The neckband design is flawless and ensures that the sound is delivered comfortably into my ears whilst prohibiting them to become dislodged.

Quality seems fine. I think they will last if stored carefully. The cord isn't that thin Sony rubbery stuff that begins to peel away after a while.

The cord design has been well thought out. These use a single chord (YEY!!). The chord exits the headset just below one of the ear pieces which can then be fed conveniently into the neck of your t-shirt. Sennheiser also provide a clever little clip which secures the cord to your t-shirt whilst allowing a little slack for head movement. Cord strain is minimised. As a runner this was a well received by me. Previous headphones I have tried would dislodge from snagging on my t-shirt or if I turned my head slightly. This clever little clip solves this problem as well as reduces strain. THANK YOU SENNHEISER!

Cord length is ample and it terminates in a right-angled 3.5mm stereo plug. The plug is not gold plated but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference if it were.

From my needs, sound quality is not as important for a pair of headphones I want to use purely for exercise. In this respect I wasn't expecting anything special. However, I am really impressed with the PMX70s. I expected them to be slightly harsh and lacking bass, however the EQ is extremely balanced and bass is plentiful but not overpowering. I do not have to put my MP3 player on full as I did with other (more expensive!) headphones.

Not sure whether noise cancellation was a consideration in the design but this is not important to me. I have road tested these and I did not find noise a problem at all.

The green colour seems to be an issue with some reviewers (and my wife apparently!!). I agree that black is more neutral but the green is not that offensive. This shouldn't be a deal breaker for most people, especially considering the great design and sound.

Overall, I recommend these to all who want music while they exercise. They are excellent value for money considering their features against a price point of £16 (ish).

Koss "Spark Plug" Xt
Koss "Spark Plug" Xt

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST HEADPHONES EVER - AMAZING VALUE !!, 8 April 2008
This review is from: Koss "Spark Plug" Xt (Electronics)
Some people have find these headphones bassy or mushy - but they are not. These earphones do not add bass; they PRESERVE the bass that other earphones "lose". I recommend that people persevere with these earphones - soon you wont want to without them !!
I find these earphones perfect. The foam cushions mean they are comfortable and dont fall out of my ears, even when running. The sound quality is excellent. EQ is perfect and is balanced across rock, pop, R&B and dance. Also, because they are sound isolating, you dont have to have your mp3/cd player as loud which is better for you ears and those around you. The cuhions seem sturdy and replacements are readily available on ebay/amazon if you lose one (however a pack of 6 costs as much as the price of the headphones ??!!)
My only criticism is their looks - they ain't pretty. However, KOSS seem to do a set in blue/black with rounded ends called simple "PLUG". They are very similar in design and I would assume they sound equally good.
I recommend these to anyone who is looking for a quality set of headphones - and they only cost £10. Value cant be beat!!
I note that KOSS have also brought out their KEB24 headphones - I will try these next. I have high expectations based upon the KOSS Sparkplugs.

Lost Highway
Lost Highway
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi - Lost their way??, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I bought this album as I am a Jovi Fan and have most of their back catalogue.

"Lost Highway" is most similar to "Have a Nice Day" (which I enjoyed) as opposed to the Jovi classics (Slippery When Wet, New Jersey). Overall it is a mediocre offering; I have accepted that the band will never produce an album comparable to the like of SWW or NJ.

Im summary, I agree with other reviewers. The band have matured and accrordingly seemed be less focused on producing an album which stands out. Jon still seems to struggle with themes for the songs as many he has used before. In terms of musicianship, Richie's presence is dissappointingly low key but the rest of the band are as solid as ever. Production is excellent but the band don't tend to take the lead here anymore.

I think this is one for fans only - dont buy it as an introduction to the band.

Creative Zen Vision: M - 60gb Multimedia Player
Creative Zen Vision: M - 60gb Multimedia Player

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PLAYER - RECOMMDED AS IPOD ALTERNATIVE, 1 Feb 2007
Ok - let me start by saying that I don't hate iPods. In fact I happily owned a 5th Gen Video iPod until the clock wheel went funny and I returned it. I still miss some of its attributes. Therefore, I wont say that this is an iPod killer cause iPods still have their place in this world.

However I can say for certain that I'm glad it did go wrong because I bought the Creative Zen Vision:M which, for my needs, is a superior mp3/video player.

Looks...

The player is very attractive. The facia is gloss black and the rear is white matt plastic. The front is prone to lights scratches but thats the same of any new personal audio player. 7mm thicker than an iPod - big deal!! It feels solid in your hand and I dont feel the urge to rush out and buy a rubber skin for it - but I advise using the pouch provided. The screen is extremely clear. Its far more detailed and crisp than an iPod. Pictures and videos are vivid, vibrant and colourful. The iPod screen is a little weak and fuzzy in comparison.

Menus/Controls...

Extremely intuitive controls. The touch pad scrolls (up/down) and selects (tap) and controls volume - this is very solid. I cant imagine this getting flaky. There are 2 buttons immediately left/right of the touchpad which select next/prev track as well as rew/fw. There are 4 other buttons on the face of the player for back, menu, play/pause and one other which is customisable. On the top is an on/off/lock slider. Reset pin-hole at the base.

Audio quality...

Excellent - best I've heard. There's more than enough volume available. I noted that when pushed it doesn't distort; you just get a clean loud pleasant sound. You can select from several EQs as well as creating your own. It also has a Bass boost for weaker buds. You can select tracks by Artist, Song, Album.. usual story.

Video Quality...

AWESOME. Bundled in the software is a Video Converter, so you convert all your movies to Zen format. This produced great videos but took forever (2hrs plus for a movie)!! I now use Super - a freeware video converter. This produces equally good results but at a fraction of the time (35-40mins). For converting DVDs I recommend CloneMobile - perfectly legal program that has an option specifically for converting for Zen. This takes 20-40mins also.

PC Software...

The big plus with this player is compatibility with Windows Media Player (WMP). iTunes wasn't for me - too unreliable. I connected the player to WMP and it synced my music/vids/pictures with one click. Album art was transferred and is displayed also. WMP also converts music that isn't compatible. That said the player can read the most popular formats (WMA, WAV and MP3). As the Zen works perfectly with WMP, you get all the benefits of playlists etc.

I initially used the Creative Sync manager to manage my music - however I found a flaw - when I deleted music from my library, the tracks were not removed from the player when synced. WMP behaves perfectly in this respect though.

If you dont like WMP you can use the software provided by Creative (Mediasource, Explorer, Zencast, Sync manager, Video Convertor) but I found it a little cumbersome dealing with 5 stand-alone applications to control 1 device. A little thought needs to be applied by Creative.

Podcasts can be download and synced using Creative's Zencast software. I found this very easy to use. You can subscribe to any pocast using this software i.e. including mp4 format ones. Creative Sync Manager (part of Zencast) will transfer your podcasts and will convert .mp4 podcasts automatically provided you have Quicktime 7 installed. Creative Sync Manager can also sync contacts, tasks and calendars from Outlook.

Battery...

Battery will take 2 feature lengths movies easy. With music alone it seems to last forever. You don't get a wall charger in the box - but check out eBay - there are loads on there for £5-£7.

Accessories...

In the box I got the player, some iPod looking headphones, posh leatherette pouch, usb cable, sync adapter, manual and CD. Not many accessories. A lot of folk seem to be worried about losing the Sync Adapter, but again they are readily available from eBay. You can also buy usb cables which negate the use of the adapter altogether.

Other things worth mentioning...

When plugged in to your PC, the player appears as a device (Zen) in My Computer. You can manually search through the available files and drag/drop stuff in. However you can also select a proportion of the hard disk to use a an additional removable drive (from 512mb to 32GB). Very useful.

I thought built in mic would be poor but it turns out to be extremely good - I am a musician and I find this great for capturing ideas on the fly.

There are a number of themes available which make the player customisable - you can also select your own "wallpaper" from any of your photos.

Radio works really outdoors - but indoors reception is poor (1/2 stations only).

Price is competitive @ £200. For 60gb you can't complain.

I found this player a worthy market competitor for any portable audio device with video/photo capability.

Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain and Repair Electrics and Acoustics
by Dan Erlewine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not that good., 20 Jan 2004
I received this book yesturday and have to say that Im a little dissappointed.
Ive been playing guitars for 10 years now. In the last 4 years, ive attempted my own setups based on the manufacturers guidelines and advice from internet resources. I read the previous reviews of this book and thought that this would be a setup "bible". However, in my opinion, there is very little ground-breaking information in this book. Much of this a guitar player should know (and could know with a little reasearch)in order to keep their insturment in check and in tune.
I would like to say that this book is aimed at beginners but I think its very advanced if that was its aim. In several places it suggests investing in very expensive tools (e.g. precision straightedges). I understood that some of this book was to eliminate expensive setup costs?? In some places this book is more of a huge advertisement for the stew-mac guitar shop in the US. If you are considering to undertake mods/repairs with the aid of this book - be prepared to spend money on tools such as a bench router, a dremmel router, straightedges etc etc.
I cant say the book is useless as it HAS taught me a lot. However, there is nothing fundamentally new here. If youre reasonably able to setup your guitar at the moment - dont expect this book to surprise you too much as you'll be doing much of it already. It will however add depth to your knowledge on the "why" of what youre doing. Its a bit of a tease really - all the "juicy" bits are skipped over briefly.
Good bits - The Pro Setups section is useful, if youre interested on how some great blues (and ONLY blues) players set up their guitars. The nut section is also good but Ive found all these methods available on the internet.
Bad bits - The Floyd Rose installation chapter was very very dissappointing. It does NOT give you the necessary dimensions of the top/bottom cavitys and does NOT give sufficient guidance on routing . It merely suggests that you buy the templates and bits - and hey presto - its done. The templates and bits cost £200 total by the way !! A more detailed section on routing for beginners would have made this book more worthwhile.
Note to the author: Most guitar players are not carpenters. We do not have workshops with special tools and money to spend on expensive apparatus. Perhaps a furture edition will take conisgance of this??

The Rocky Story
The Rocky Story
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rocky Story CD, 17 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Rocky Story (Audio CD)
All the best tracks from movies 1 to 4 of the Rocky story. Im not sure there are any songs from Rocky 5 on this CD, but there were no good music moments in Rocky 5 anyway. I like this CD because the tracks are as perfomed by the original artists, which have let down other soundtrack CDs Ive purchased. Best Track: No Easy Way Out. Well worth any price. Classic tunes.