Profile for niallb > Reviews

niallb

Outlander Season 1
Outlander Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars generally hate romantic fiction and as I am from the Highlands ..., 14 April 2015
This review is from: Outlander Season 1 (Amazon Video)
My review should probably be read in the context of the fact I am a man, generally hate romantic fiction and as I am from the Highlands clearly know best when it comes to the historical detail etc of a series such as Outlander. I had not read the books and actually heard about the filming of the series through my work. So when the time came for it to be released on Amazon Prime, I was curious to say the least. And I am glad my cat instincts got the better of me as Outlander is easily the guiltiest pleasure I have had for many a year. Primarily, the casting is excellent and apart from the two leads, it is great to see old stalwarts like Bill Paterson, Gary Lewis and even dear old John Sessions (the flatulent judge in a couple of episodes) being cast. Largely, no foreign actors doing dodgy Scottish accents with the only exception being Lotte Verbeek - sorry Lotte but it's terrible. The two leads you will have read elsewhere by now are excellent by Caitriona Balfe is just amazing - vulnerable yet strong, serious but funny and sexy as hell! I have still not read any of the original books so am unsure what the super fans view is of the series - pretty ecstatic I would guess - but the scripts are tight and generally action packed. Scotland has never looked more stunning and nice to see them filming on location at the real Culloden Moor too. Oh and the hotly anticipated Wedding episode will have all you ladies swooning, that's for sure. Any guys reading this, I would recommend it to you too!

All in all, I really can't fault this series and am keenly anticipating Season 2 - watch, you will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2016 10:34 PM BST

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown Ups, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (MP3 Download)
That's who this is for. I mean, I thought I was listening to Tangerine Dream at one point!

But as others have said, clearly a very personal album for CM and a definite change of direction, though a welcome one I would say. If you like Myloto Xyloto then just keep listening to that. This album is a grower, no doubt about it, but that's what I love about it the most, each listen it just keeps getting better and better.

And if you have seen them do any of the songs live eg Radio 1's Big Weekend in Glasgow, they most certainly do have impact in that arena.

Quite simply superb.

I Am Zlatan Ibrahimovic
I Am Zlatan Ibrahimovic

4.0 out of 5 stars And I am slightly bonkers, 17 Feb. 2014
Before reading this book, anyone who is not too familiar with this footballer should spend a bit of time watching him on YouTube, it will inform much of what is said in the book.

If you have ever wondered what might have happened to some of the ne'r do wells you were at school with - but who were good at football - this is the story that might have unfolded.

He has a phenomenal talent though and does not let you forget it, "I was awesome in that game" is a phrase peppering the book throughout but he was/still is and the book gives a real insight into how someone otherwise ordinary becomes this good and what makes them the players they are.

There is rarely a dull moment in it, which is more than can be said for most footie biographies I have read.

For a few quid, well worth the money and there are a few laugh out loud moments to enjoy and a few genuinely touching.

He is definitely bonkers though!

Justin Bieber (Purple) - Maxi Poster - 61cm x 91.5cm
Justin Bieber (Purple) - Maxi Poster - 61cm x 91.5cm
Offered by Poster Revolution UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the ridiculous P+P Charges!, 1 Sept. 2013
Should probably have known better but bought this and a few other posters for my eldest daughter recently. Only a few pence each but P+P on top. That's OK but when they were all coming from the same retailer at the same time - and could easily all have gone in the same tube - to pay P+P for EACH one was ridiculous. Total rip off merchants and Amazon should not be promoting deals like this. BEWARE other parents (or maybe I am just a big softie).

The Affair (Jack Reacher, Book 16)
The Affair (Jack Reacher, Book 16)

2.0 out of 5 stars All a bit predictable, 22 Oct. 2011
I have read all of Lee Child's previous Reacher books and have enjoyed most of them thoroughly. Not so this one however. Whilst the fact he is still in the army is interesting, the whole book is very familiar/formulaic and, to be honest, felt pretty much as though LC was on autopilot. We have the usual gorgeous female accomplice, fights against increasing numbers of local thugs but, perhaps most worrying, something of a genuine moral dilemma for the reader - Reacher kills a number of people in cold blood - plain and simple - and whilst they are clearly all highly unlikable, this puts the character in a very dubious place. All in all, and I am very disappointed to have to say this, not nearly on a par with previous Reacher books and certainly not one I could recommend to anyone else. Time to find your mojo again Lee.
PS as for the Cruiser landing the role of Reacher in the upcoming film - I haven't laughed so hard in years!