Profile for Oscar > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
TechnoTrend TT-budget CT2-4400 USB 2.0
TechnoTrend TT-budget CT2-4400 USB 2.0
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable DVB-T2 receiver that works in Linux as well!, 28 Dec. 2014
I needed a DVB-T2 compatible receiver to watch freeview terrestrial TV. The TechnoTrend stick has been working fine.

In Windows it works fine with the included BDA-compatible drivers and I quickly tried the WIndows Media Center with it. Quite nice actually, but I wanted to use this in OpenELEC which is a Linux based media center.

I was happy to find out that the Linux drivers are now part of the OpenELEC distributions. The stick actually worked directly out of the box and no driver installation was required. I've understood that for most Linux distributions you would need to compile media_build to get the drivers since they come with a kernel that does not yet have the support. The latest kernels do support this without any extra effort though.

Picture quality is good, the receiver sensitivity is good and it has been working reliably without locking up or such.

The device is actually very small, even if it looks rather bulky in the photo.

Snuggledown Microfibre Duvet 13.5 Tog Superking
Snuggledown Microfibre Duvet 13.5 Tog Superking

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxurious and warm!, 18 Nov. 2014
It's a really luxurious duvet. It makes your bed seem like something from a better class hotel. It's fluffy and nice.

However, you need to be aware that it is a really warm duvet! The inside temperature in my house is year round above 23 degrees celsius and the duvet is just too much for us. We tried dropping the inside temperature in the bedroom by a couple of degrees and it was fine after that. Note, that this is not a negative feature of the duvet, it's just something you need to be aware. 13.5 togs is a one warm duvet!

Mystique SaTeCaBiX S2/T2/T/C - Triple, PCIe, MCE/Linux, HDTV
Mystique SaTeCaBiX S2/T2/T/C - Triple, PCIe, MCE/Linux, HDTV

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid combo card for DVB-T2 and S2, 29 Sept. 2014
This card is exactly the same as DVBSky T9580. I've got it working in Windows 8.1 and in Linux with the manufacturer provided drivers. It works fine also in the Windows Media Center when I tried.

There are open source Linux drivers available these days. Look here for more info: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVBSky_T9580_(PCIe)

DVBSky T9580 PCIe card with 1x DVB-S2 and 1x DVB-T2 / DVB-C Tuner, partitioned USB stick with windows software and bootable linux media center
Offered by BetterShopping.eu

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Aug. 2014
Works fine under Windows and Linux. Ideal combo-card. Open source linux drivers are available.

DVBSky S960 DVB-S2 USB Box, single tuner, USB satellite HDTV, brand new M88DS3103 chipset (less power consumption, Auto FEC, Hardware Blindscan, etc)!
Offered by ValueStores

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine in OpenELEC 4.0, 8 May 2014
I bought it as a DVB-S2 tuner for my HTPC that is running OpenELEC. It works fine out-of-the-box, no need to configure any drivers. I know that the drivers are not included in the Linux kernel, but the OE guys include a patch that will add support for this adapter. I'd give it 5 stars if there was support in Linux kernel included (maybe the manufacturer could support open source driver development).

Edit: As of kernel 3.18 the drivers are included in the linux kernel. Thus 5 stars now!

PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC.  Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.
PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC. Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well under Linux, 6 Mar. 2014
I chose a USB tuner as I only had USB ports available on my HTPC - no PCIe ports. Normally I would have preferred a PCIe bus device. PCTV 290e is just about the only USB tuner for DVB-T2 that is supported in Linux. I also had good experience of PCTV products in the past, so 290e it was.

I was surprised how small the tuner actually is. It's hard to appreciate that when looking at the picture, but it really is small. It was nice that they include an extension USB cable with the product as it's impossible to plug in two tuners into 2 USB ports that are located next to each other. However, there's no issue plugging in two extension cables in the adjacent ports.

Plugged in the tuner and it was immediately detected by the drivers that are included in Linux kernels since 3.0. My system was running kernel 3.13. The stick was able to find all the channels broadcasted here both on VHF and UHF frequencies. HDTV channels work well. Nothing bad to say so far. Will stick with PCTV tuners for Linux - they seem to be well supported.

I have not tried it in Windows, so no comments on that side.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 1:19 PM BST

Salter Mix and Measure  Mixing Bowl with Scale
Salter Mix and Measure Mixing Bowl with Scale
Offered by Original Cookshop

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, bit too much cheap plastic, 11 Aug. 2012
I really cannot fault the scale function-wise. It has a nice large metal bowl, it gives you the reading in grams or lbs and it's definitely accurate enough for any kitchen application.

Sometimes when you hold a product for the first time, you know immediately that it's a quality product. Unfortunately this is where the Salter lets you down. The bowl is nice and solid, yes, but unfortunately the base of the scale is made from cheap plastic that you really would not expect in a product of this price range.

In operation the scale works well, but because of the small rubber feet of the scale are placed only under the bowl and not under the console where the buttons are, every time you press a button, the scale rocks a bit. In the end I added small pieces of rubber as extra feet. This kind of small things just should not exist in a product of this price.

And oh yes, it's made in China.

Kingston HyperX memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR2 Low Latency
Kingston HyperX memory - 4 GB : 2 x 2 GB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR2 Low Latency

4.0 out of 5 stars It's memory, it works, 20 April 2012
Bought this memory for my old MacBook mid-2007 model. It's able to recognize all the 4 gigabytes, but it uses only 3.28 gigabytes, but this is because of limitations in the hardware platform, not due to the memory chips itself. Memory works fine, nothing to complain. No noticeable speed difference when compared to the old "normal" memory chips.

Marmot Men's Glade Mitt Gloves - Black, Large
Marmot Men's Glade Mitt Gloves - Black, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and relatively inexpensive mitten, 5 Jan. 2012
I needed something for the colder skiing days, because my fingers are freezing in my current gloves. I didn't want to invest a £100 for really fancy ones, so these caught my eye. Marmot is known for quality products and these gloves seemed to tick all the boxes, so I chose them.

Features include a heater pocket (a small pocket to slip in one of those disposable heating pads), nose wipe, safety leash, water- and windproof lining and griptec palm (kind of non-slippery leatherlike synthetic material).

I ordered a pair in large size and they indeed seem quite large. Something to keep in mind when ordering. However, in my case that is a good thing, since now I have enough space in there to wear a thin glove inside the mitt when it really gets cold. This glove is ok for me when skiing in temperature above -15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit), but when it's colder than that, I need an extra glove inside.

All in all, I think they're good value mittens. Could be warmer, but you can always wear an extra glove inside the mittens.

APC SurgeArrest 325 - UPS ( external ) - AC 230 V - 325 VA - UPS battery Lead Acid  - 4 Output Connector(s)
APC SurgeArrest 325 - UPS ( external ) - AC 230 V - 325 VA - UPS battery Lead Acid - 4 Output Connector(s)
Offered by Value_Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense UPS, 4 Jan. 2012
This is a straightforward and simple UPS that just works. Ideal for home usage - it's quiet and easy to use. It does not have USB connector, so you cannot connect it to your PC/server/NAS in order to shut it down gracefully when power runs out. I bought this to filter out the short 1 second power outages that we have a lot. If the power is out for more than 15 minutes, my NAS, router and switch will lose power. I'm counting that that happens so rarely that it's not an issue.

The battery availability for APC UPSes is great, so you're guaranteed to be able to get a new battery when the old one dies after some years of use.

Only minus comes from the power button that is too easy to hit and power off the thing.

Page: 1 | 2