Profile for Nick > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black
Apple iPod classic 120GB - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars How much memory do you need?, 9 Jun. 2009
A great item, but I just don't need anywhere near this much memory. I've transferred dozens of CD albums - probably half of my collection of the ones that I'm going to want to ever listen to again, and I've used less than a tenth of the available memory. I had thought I'd use space for videos, but they're just not worth watching on this size of screen.
So my advice would be - think carefully whether you need such a gigantic memory, and if not, downsize your aspirations to a cheaper version.

Klipsch iGroove SXT - iPod Docking Speaker Sound System
Klipsch iGroove SXT - iPod Docking Speaker Sound System

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't rave about them..., 9 Jun. 2009
as lots of people have done. In fact, I wish I'd gone for the iGroove version instead. The sound quality is good - but not brilliant, and I should have taken more notice of words "for a small system" in previous reviews. Yes, good for a small system, but I was expecting better from all the raving that's gone on. They're neat-looking, easily transportable, cope with a full range of frequencies pretty well - I agree the remote is a disappointment - just don't expect the sound reproduction you would get from a good hi-fi separates system.

Panasonic SDR-H250 SD/HDD Hybrid Camcorder (30GB HDD, 10 x Optical Zoom, 3CCD)
Panasonic SDR-H250 SD/HDD Hybrid Camcorder (30GB HDD, 10 x Optical Zoom, 3CCD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit..., 30 April 2009
easy to use and produces impressive results. I bought it when HD models were much too expensive so I would assume it's come down in price now, which would make it well worth considering.

Wild Amazon: A Photographer's Incredible Journey
Wild Amazon: A Photographer's Incredible Journey
by Nick Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 April 2009
I'm biased because Nick Gordon was my best friend before he tragically died. But I can say without hesitation that this is a beautiful book which displays Nick's remarkable talent for wildlife photography to a high degree. It was a book that Nick dreamed of producing, but the project was only brought to fruition after his death by another good friend, Harry Ricketts. It's a suitable tribute to a popular and talented man.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2009 7:28 PM BST

Aqua Sphere Vista Goggles
Aqua Sphere Vista Goggles
Price: £19.99 - £28.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad fit..., 30 April 2009
This review is from: Aqua Sphere Vista Goggles (Sports)
Nice looking mask (more than goggles), but it didn't fit my face (and I have a regular one!). Water leaked in from the bottom, no matter how I adjusted the mask, and with the straps, which are easily adjustable, tightened. So I've sent them back and am waiting for a replacement (Cressi Cobra). Service from suppliers so far excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2009 10:01 AM BST

Master the Art of Swimming: Raising Your Performance with the Alexander Technique
by Steven Shaw

2.0 out of 5 stars The book's good ... the real thing is better, 7 Feb. 2009
Steven Shaw is an inspiring swimming teacher, who applies the Alexander Technique to his methods. I bought the book after a one-day workshop on the crawl with Steven, which was really good. The book's useful for reinforcing some of the ideas, but it's no substitute for proper, real, in the water tuition. Trying to understand the different elements and stages of a swimming stroke is very, very difficult from a book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 7:40 PM GMT

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz
Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the classics, 7 Feb. 2009
Remembered this album after watching the Quincy Jones doc. on TV over Christmas, so tracked it down ...
It's just one of the classic big band/jazz albums showing off Ray Charles' superb Hammond artistry. The sound of the organ is actually a bit harsh at times, but the arrangements are what makes it such a good album.

The Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands: The Complete Guide for Yachtsmen, Divers and Watersports Enthusiasts with Charts
by Nancy N. Scott
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read before you go..., 7 Feb. 2009
I bought it before going on a Sunsail flotilla to the BVIs, and enjoyed the read - interesting variety of articles and good pictures. When we got on the boat, this was the guidebook they provided. It's not an in-depth guide by any means, but I don't think there's anything available that's better.
And we loved the BVIs!!!

Blues Piano: Hal Leonard Keyboard Style Series [With CD] (Keyboard Instruction)
Blues Piano: Hal Leonard Keyboard Style Series [With CD] (Keyboard Instruction)
by Mark Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've found, 7 Feb. 2009
I love buying music books, and over the years I've acquired lots of guitar and piano books, CDs and DVDs covering a broad range of styles. Their quality and ease of use can be surprisingly variable, but this particular one I think is excellent for learning blues piano. I tried Tim Richards' Improvising Blues Piano first, but found that hard going. Harrison* just has a knack of putting together achievable exercises with good, straightforward advice (though see the discussion I've started....) So far, even though I'm doing exercises I feel like I'm playing listenable pieces - in fact, playing the blues! I'd happily recommend this one.
* One of his other books - Stuff Piano Players Should Know - is also worth buying.

The Dream That Died: The Rise and Fall of ITV
The Dream That Died: The Rise and Fall of ITV
by Raymond Fitzwalter

5.0 out of 5 stars The real inside story, 12 Jun. 2008
A fascinating, intriguing and in some ways horrifying account of what was going on at Granada through the 80s, 90s and close to the present. Not so much behind-the-scenes as within the corridors of power.... the stories of the avarice and callousness of Robinson, Allen and co make chilling reading. I was there, but didn't know the half of it.
The book goes a long way to explain the complete sorry, downmarket mess that ITV has become.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3