Profile for Nick > Reviews

Content by Nick

Nick (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 Premium Folio Case / Cover and Flip Stand & Magnetic Auto-Sleep Included Screen Protector and stylus pen - Black
Offered by TECKNET

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well!, 20 April 2012
Bought my iPad two days ago and at the same time ordered the "official" cover for it - £35, and what a rip-off! It just doesn't do the job properly, so I took it back to the shop the next day and got my money back.

Had to search this TeckNet cover out and order for next day delivery because I go on holiday today. It's just arrived and I like it immediately - the iPad fits perfectly, it's warm, comfortable, easy to work. Seems fab - if it stands up to two weeks of extensive use in the Portuguese sun - sorry, shade - I'll be upping it to 5 stars.

And it's a third of the price of the "official" one!

Simply Standards: 22 Most Requested Songs
Simply Standards: 22 Most Requested Songs
by Mike Springer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good arrangements..., 23 Feb. 2012
... I'm an early intermediate player, and I think there are some nice arrangements in here. I particularly like Over the Rainbow ....

ForeFront Cases® New Black Leather / Red Nubuck Case/Cover with Magnetic LED Night Reading Light For Amazon Kindle 3 / Kindle Graphite + FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR WORTH £4.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok but..., 23 Feb. 2012
the light conked out after six months. Well, the battery cover fell out first and was lost, then the light stopped working. I tried new batteries to no avail. So I'm not wildly impressed, though it still functions well as just a cover.

STIEG LARSSON Man, Myth & Mistress
STIEG LARSSON Man, Myth & Mistress

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty vicious stuff, 11 Aug. 2011
I thought this quite an interesting read but I was surprised by the tone of it - pretty vicious. It's a real hatchet job on Larsson and those around him. The authors keep stressing it's a literary review, but a lot of the vitriol is aimed at the claims Larsson made about his past, and how the publishers - and his girlfriend - exploited that, and what's happened since the books achieved such runaway successs ... so that's hardly keeping to the text. The language used by the authors is often playground, rather than civil debate. I found it very tabloid in tone.

If I'd paid good money for a hardback version I'd be complaining. As it is, £2.50 for the Kindle version didn't seem too bad for the chance to have a different view of the Larsson phenomenon, and they certainly provide that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 5:18 PM BST

Indian Vegetarian Cookery
Indian Vegetarian Cookery
by Jack Santa Maria

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but seems old-fashioned, 13 Jan. 2011
Well it does date back to 1972, and it seems it. You won't find terms in here which might orientate you to what you think of as Indian restaurant food these days, so I haven't found any mention of e.g. balti, rogan josh, and there isn't an index to help out. You expect user-friendliness these days (unheard of in 1972) and this isn't.

I've only cooked three dishes so far and they were o.k., but I think it's going to be hard work to find some meals that really stand out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2013 11:01 AM BST

HP 2050 All-In-One Special Edition Printer
HP 2050 All-In-One Special Edition Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE if you're a Mac user., 13 Jan. 2011
This printer will not work on a Mac OS below 10.5 !!!

I've only just connected it up but got an error message straight away. I have OS10.4.11 and it won't work with that, but this is not mentioned anywhere on Amazon's website. I have been wanting to avoid paying Apple's rip-off £159 upgrade to Snow Leopard and I don't want to do it for this printer. So I'm about to start negotiating a return with Amazon ....

Can't say anything positive about it - the damn thing won't work.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2011 9:46 AM BST

Wheat Warmer: Colour Lavender
Wheat Warmer: Colour Lavender
Offered by Cotswold Lavender

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 23 Mar. 2010
I got it to help relieve a persistent stiff neck and it definitely did help. It's easy to use, and smells like baked bread with a hint of lavender. It also serves as a sort of bedwarmer - if you've a figure like Olive Oil! I'd recommend it.

Insight Guides: Kenya
Insight Guides: Kenya
by VARIOUS
Edition: Flexibound

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide..., 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Insight Guides: Kenya (Flexibound)
to introduce you to many aspects of Kenyan life. Stunning photography and interesting text.

Monkeys of the Amazon (Wildlife Monographs)
Monkeys of the Amazon (Wildlife Monographs)
by Nick Gordon

4.0 out of 5 stars Some fine photographs, 13 Nov. 2009
Nick Gordon was an excellent wildlife photographer and cameraman. This is a good example of his work - a small book, but interesting.

Eco LD230A Cordless Jug Kettle
Eco LD230A Cordless Jug Kettle

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Eco LD230A Cordless Jug Kettle
It's too big, it's very heavy when you've filled the reservoir full of water, and the knob on the top which controls the amount of water you put in is fiddly to operate. It's one of those designs that sounds like a good idea, but is a bit pointless. I'm going to get a standard kettle and just make sure I put the correct amount in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3