Profile for K > Reviews

A Kind Man
A Kind Man
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So sad!, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Kind Man (Kindle Edition)
Another fine piece from Susan Hill. This is such a terribly sad story with a touching end.

I recommend you read this, but make sure you have plenty of tissues at the ready!

The Luminaries
The Luminaries
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars I made it through!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Luminaries (Kindle Edition)
Bit of a harsh title but I do feel rather pleased with myself and, to be honest, rather relieved that I have FINALLY reached the end! Unlike many reviewers, my attention was caught right from the beginning. I loved the way "The Luminaries" first meet, with the unplanned addition of Mr Moody in their number. I found the characters to be really interesting. I could imagine myself in that time such was Catton's great use of narrative. I guess it's main flaw was the length (a common complaint) and I, for one, did not "get" the use of astrology throughout the book. The ending, too, seemed rather abrupt. I think I would have liked the Luminaries to have met up again to discuss their latest discoveries. Instead, the tale seemed to go back on itself in a less than satisfactory way.

Having said all that, I would still recommend this book...just allow yourself plenty of time!

Printer's Devil Court (Kindle Single)
Printer's Devil Court (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spine Tingler!, 11 Jan 2014
Another great Susan Hill short story. Yet again, Hill creates great characters, creepy locations and the rather gruesome area of resurrecting the dead! In short, if you like ghost stories with a difference (this one has a voice!) then you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy!

The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story
The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story
Price: 1.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Woman with white plumes?, 1 Jan 2014
I always enjoy Susan Hill's books. She writes ghost stories so well...real page turners. This book was no exception. It is certainly a creepy story. I love the idea of people ending up in an old painting (sends shivers up your spine). However, I couldn't help feeling I'd been here before. It has definite echoes of Woman in Black and this slight lack of originality is why I give it 3 stars. Having said that, I still recommend this, but in particular it should be read in bed, preferably on a rough night, when you may very well hear disembodied voices in the wind.

Chasing the Dead: David Raker Novel #1
Chasing the Dead: David Raker Novel #1
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 28 Dec 2013
This was a great read, really exciting. The main character, David Raker is interesting and likeable. The plot twist at the end was a total surprise. I really didn't see that coming! I definitely recommend this book, unbelievably the author's first, and am already looking forward to David Raker's next case!

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully real characters!, 21 Dec 2013
Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this book but actually I was pleasantly surprised. I love the two lead characters; Strike and Robin. I just hope this is the beginning of a new series involving these two.

Would recommend this. It's a good read, very well written. Enjoy :)

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I think this book works best if you can read it in one sitting. I struggled to get into it really and was disappointed with the ending. The only character I actually liked was Tanner and this was because he reminded me of Saul Goodman in "Breaking Bad" (the BEST drama...ever) and so I could hear Bob Odenkirk's voice whenever I read Tanner's lines!

Hungry Face
Hungry Face
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sound!, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Hungry Face (MP3 Download)
I have been avidly watching the new French series, "The Returned" which is most unusual but thoroughly enthralling. The soundtrack played each week at the beginning of the show is this, "Hungry Face". What can I say? Have a listen for yourself. You won't be disappointed!

Routemaster bus Cotton Book Bag
Routemaster bus Cotton Book Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal gift!, 5 May 2013
I bought this bag for my sister who currently lives in London but is emigrating to Canada. I have made her a photobook and thought this bag would be ideal to put the book in when I present it to her (instead of wrapping paper). I was very pleased with this bag. It is just as described and good quality too. I definitely recommend it!

Bif Bang Pow! - Dexter Monitor Mate Bobble Head Dexter Morgan 11 cm
Bif Bang Pow! - Dexter Monitor Mate Bobble Head Dexter Morgan 11 cm
Offered by Figurine-collector-fr
Price: 14.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for car dashboard!, 5 May 2013
Having recently become acquainted with the wonderful Dexter series I was looking for the latest season on dvd when I came across this bobblehead. Well, I just had to buy one. I have stuck mine on my dashboard. The head doesn't "bobble" that much but its a very amusing item. I love it!

If you love Dexter as much as I do then why not treat yourself to this bobblehead and have him accompany you on your travels?!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3