Profile for RDP > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Complete Psalms of David- Volume 5
The Complete Psalms of David- Volume 5
Price: 14.65

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the way the choir allows extra space between the ..., 19 Aug 2014
After one hearing I would give this six stars if I could. I love the way the choir allows extra space between the two parts of each verse. These are thoughtful, prayerful performances. Aric Prentice's direction is ideal. Colin Walsh's organ accompanment is outstanding. (I was privileged to hear him play in Wanganui, New Zealand in 2006)

New Series: The Complete Psalms of David Vol 1 - Series 2 (Psalms 1-19)
New Series: The Complete Psalms of David Vol 1 - Series 2 (Psalms 1-19)
Price: 14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to have them in order, 19 Aug 2014
First-class performances of the first 19 psalms in unfamiliar chants. Good to have them in order, separated into the daily Mattins and Evensong services. The first series is also excellent, but the psalms are not in order; they are pretty well randomly selected. (My old Parish Psalter is starting to fall to pieces.)

It is good to have the psalms printed in the booklet, but the proof-reading in the Exeter booklet could have been better.

For some years I have frequently listened to psalms over breakfast. Ten to fifteen minutes of psalms are a perfect start to the day, and far, far better than the radio or morning newspaper!

The Two Ronnies: Series 3 [DVD]
The Two Ronnies: Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker
Price: 8.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Still quite good, 8 Jun 2014
I was a fan of Ronnie Barker when he was on the radio (or wireless as we called it then) and later when he worked with Ronnie Corbett. One wintry, snow-filled day in 1970 I thumbed a lift to work instead of taking the train. Ronnie Barker picked me up. I hadn't realised I had met him before, and still didn't recognise this avuncular fellow in a nice warm Rover car. My wife reminded me later that he came to the same church. He told me he was working on a new series with Ronnie Corbett, and I assume it was the first series of The Two Ronnies. He dropped me off, and drove on to the television studios.A nice man.

We've only seen one episode of series 3, and it raised several smiles but few, if any, belly laughs. After 40 years or so we enjoyed seeing first two series again, and will enjoy the rest of series 3 from time to time.

The Choir Series Four: Military Wives [DVD]
The Choir Series Four: Military Wives [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gareth Malone
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant choral director, 8 Jun 2014
Gareth Malone is inspiring..As a choral singer myself I know how hard it can be to inspire choirs. My wife sings and also leads a school choir and a church choir, and is so hard-working! It's a joy to join in and make the effort to learn new music as well as re-visit the old favourites!

Taking on a choir of 'military wives' was a brave act. And my goodness, how they appreciated the opportunity to do something a little different and to meet other wives in the same situation! Well done, everyone!

I hope they continue and that they will spread the good news about choral singing.

Oh! What a Lovely War: The Special Collector's Edition [DVD] [1969]
Oh! What a Lovely War: The Special Collector's Edition [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Wendy Allnutt
Price: 4.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A MOVING PICTURE, 8 Jun 2014
We saw the show in London in the late '60s, I think. It was not an easy, light show. We came away somewhat overwhelmed and dispirited. Not as many jokes as we had hoped for. Moving, nevertheless.

The film is perhaps easier to follow. The statistics along with the songs and sketches and scenery (with a base on one of the Brighton piers) were cleverly put together. Good to see so many famous actors in strong parts. Richard Attenborough did a good job as director and producer.

The special fearures are worth seeing.

Bach: Cantatas Volume 55
Bach: Cantatas Volume 55
Price: 14.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling end to the the complete set, 28 Nov 2013
Has it really been 18 years? I have looked forward to every issue, and have never been disappointed. Well done to Masaaki Suzuki and his orchestra, his soloists and his choir.

Last of the Summer Wine - Series 27-28 [DVD] [2006]
Last of the Summer Wine - Series 27-28 [DVD] [2006]

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Raymond!, 3 Nov 2013
I sympathise with Raymond.
They used to say New Zealand was 20 years behind the rest of the world. Perhaps it's true, but I'm hoping to see the last series before I'm 91. I have all the series on DVD to date, and have by now certainly qualified as a old buffer!

Adiemus II - Cantata Mundi
Adiemus II - Cantata Mundi
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Adiemus 1 and 2, 16 Jan 2013
Adiemus 1 and 2
I got this for my wife who loves Karl Jenkins's music. She sings and plays it a lot. Her comments are that it is deeply spiritual and moving as well as musically original. She lived in East Africa for 23 years and is very moved by the inclusion of African rhythms, instruments and sounds.

Ancient Worlds [DVD] (2010)
Ancient Worlds [DVD] (2010)
Dvd ~ Richard Miles
Price: 8.40

4.0 out of 5 stars A rather rushed history, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Ancient Worlds [DVD] (2010) (DVD)
The arm-swinging saunter through ancient history belies the speed in which the years flew past. Miles covered the data in years per second. Jolly good pictures though, and the history is not wrong, just superficial. I'm out of breath.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2013 4:46 PM GMT

Bach: St. Matthew Passion
Bach: St. Matthew Passion
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, prayerful and emotional, 26 April 2012
We have owned the LPs of this performance for nearly 50 years, and now own the CDs. It is a recording we have brought out nearly every year during Holy Week. It is magnificent, prayerful and emotional. It is old, it has coughing, it has charm, but it is shattering. The choruses and chorales have never been sung with such intensity. It is pre-war, and all the performers must now be dead. No other performance or recording is like it. We cannot speak or write more highly of it.

I challenge any conductor, or any choir, or any soloist to attempt a similar performance using modern recording techniques. Klemperer's version is in the same tradition, but comes nowhere near it in intensity; other "authentic", modern versions seem merely melodramatic.

This is a churchman's drama. Listen to it on your knees!

Page: 1 | 2