Profile for Amy > Reviews

Content by Amy

Amy (Cambs, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace Black & Pink Butterfly / Flora / Flower Pattern Soft Gel Case Skin Cover & Clear LCD Anti-Scratch Screen Protector Shield (2-in-1 Accessory Pack) - By iTechCover

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 5 July 2012
I bought this cover for my Samsung Galaxy Ace and am really pleased with it.

The cover is really pretty as well as practical, protecting the phone from scratches and scrapes. Also included was a cloth to clean the screen and a clear screen protector, which I am sure has already made a big difference to maintaining the condition of my phone.

All this for £1.95 - bargain!

Those Who Kill: The Complete Series [DVD]
Those Who Kill: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laura Bach

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, 5 July 2012
Those Who Kill (Den som dręber)is a Danish crime drama from the makers of The Killing. The series, which does not hold back on the gore, consists of six feature length episodes each consisting of a single case and centres around a team specialising in solving the cases of serial killers.

If you have watched The Killing then a few faces will appear familiar, especially Lars Mikkelsen who played Mayoral candidate Troels Hartmann, he now plays police chief Magnus Bisgaard, and also in one episode Bjarne Henriksen who played Theis Birk Larsen, now playing a mafia boss.

The series is not quite as gripping as The Killing (it is difficult not to make comparisons) as the episodes are more or less self contained stories with just the relationships between the team members following through from start to finish of the series. However, it really did keep me interested right to the end and I'm so glad it did, as I thought the finale was brilliant (if possibly a little cliche).

I enjoyed watching the relationships between the main characters develop and I thought Laura Bach played gutsy detective Katrine Ries Jensen to perfection. However, I think the best performance was by Lars Mikkelsen as he clearly has a flair for playing authoritive roles well, he is a tough boss but he clearly cares for his team especially Katrine.

As this has been labelled as Series 1 I hoped there may be more to follow but apparently it has been axed due to poor viewing figures in Denmark, which I think is a real shame as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 April 2012
So this story really begins when Sherrif Rick Grimes (the lovely Andrew Lincoln) wakes up from a coma after being shot on duty and finds not only the hospital deserted but also the town, apart from the odd 'Walker'. So he sets off to try and find his wife and son.

This does appear a little bit '28 Days Later' but it's way better.

There are twists and turns galore and with it being a series rather than a film, the characters are able to develop and you find yourself getting drawn into the storyline (sometimes even shouting encouragement at the characters to run/hide/kill that zombie!).

It's good that a genre such as this has finally been a small screen opportunity with a big budget along with one of the best special effects make up artists in the business, Greg Nicotero, on board to really do it justice.

Both my husband and I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 of 'The Walking Dead' and am looking forward to season 3 later this year.

We Will Rock You: Cast Album
We Will Rock You: Cast Album
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 17 April 2012
I have seen the show of 'We Will Rock You' three times and absolutely love it, so I just had to buy the CD soundtrack.

The CD brings back memories of the electric atmosphere and complete buzz I felt when watching the show.

All I hope now is that they release a recording of the show on DVD, although obviously nothing is as good as watching it live.

Brilliant!

200 Cupcakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Cupcakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Joanna Farrow

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful little book, 17 April 2012
I was bought this book for my birthday and am really pleased with it as I have recently got into baking, especially cupcakes.

The book contains mainly cake recipes but also some different ideas for decorating. The book is well laid out with easy to follow instructions and nice photos of the finished articles.

However I would say that if you are just after a cupcake decorating book then try 'Hello Cupcake' instead.

Stolen
Stolen
by Lesley Pearse

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
A young woman is washed up on a beach and has no recollection of how she got there or where she has been for the last couple of years.

This was my third Lesley Pearse book and I found it really enjoyable, with lots of plot twists to keep the reader interested and likeable characters.

I look forward to her next book.

Kitchen Craft Classic Collection Ceramic Garlic Jar
Kitchen Craft Classic Collection Ceramic Garlic Jar

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and functional, 16 April 2012
After looking for a garlic jar I added this one to my wishlist and I received it for my birthday.

I am very pleased with my choice. It is a cute and stylish jar and comes in a large range of matching pieces.

The ceramic jar has holes for freshness and a firm fitting wooden lid. I think you could easily fit 3 garlic bulbs in the jar, which is more than sufficient.

I am just wondering whether to add some matching pieces to my wishlist.

LeapFrog Scribble & Write
LeapFrog Scribble & Write

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value toy, 16 April 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Scribble & Write (Toy)
My three year-old daughter was bought this toy for Christmas and really enjoys playing with it.

It has three modes (shapes, upper case letters and lower case letters) and uses lights to show how to write each character and then the child follows the lights with the attached pen.

My daughter loves letters and learning to write, also this has the attraction of it being an electronic gadget, which is a bit more exciting than paper and pens. Therefore this ticks many boxes.

I haven't had any problems with the quality of the toy, unlike some of the other reviewers, but then my daughter may not be quite as rough and tumble as some children.

Final Destination 5 [DVD] [2011]
Final Destination 5 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Emma Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 15 April 2012
A bus full of employees off for a retreat get stuck in traffic on a suspension bridge, which then collapses. However one guy, Sam, has a premonition of the disaster and manages to get himself and seven colleagues to safety before they get sliced and diced. What a stroke of good luck...or so they thought.

The premise is the same as in the previous films, if you cheat death it will come after you as your time is up. Although in this sequel there is a twist, if you kill someone else they will take your death and you will live out their remaining years.

I am a big fan of the first two Final Destination films but was sorely disappointed by the third and fourth films, however this sequel was back on track and was fantastic in the cinema 3D version.

The disaster scene on the bridge was really impressive and the death scenes imaginitive, along with the return of a rather creepy Tony Todd, made this film on par with the first two.

One of the things I love about these films are that they do not take themselves seriously. They're not scary, they make you laugh and think 'Ouch, that's gonna hurt' at the same time, with plenty of blood and gore thown in for good measure.

I also loved the twist at the end, which I did not see coming and was really impressed with.

This film is a must see for any comedy/gore fans.

Ponyo [DVD]
Ponyo [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Ponyo [DVD] (DVD)
The story of Ponyo is similar to that of The Little Mermaid but with more charm and less sickly sweet than the Disney version.

This was my first encounter with a Studio Ghibli production and I really enjoyed it, but my three year-old daughter absolutely loves it! She is quite happy to sit through the whole film, which is quite an achievement.

The film is well written, has the trademark Ghibli animation and a few star turns in the English language version, although I didn't even spot Matt Damon's performance until I saw his name in the credits.

This is clearly aimed at the younger market, although it is still enjoyable for adults.

If you like this then you should also try My Neighbour Totoro, my daughter loves that film too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3