Profile for V. K. Evans > Reviews

Skeletons
Skeletons
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Urm...., 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Skeletons (Kindle Edition)
This book was chosen by my book club , not something I'd usually pick up and, if I'm honest, I would have given up on it if I didn't need to read it. Until abotu three quarters through I found it predictable and excessively introspective, heavily laced with conveneint but odd over reactiosn from people to create unnessecary drama. The relationships were unconvincing and the characters weak - it felt a bit lazy to be honest, I skim read the middle...
BUT it really gets interesting towards the end, the central character sharpens up, the main relationships seem to work better and I sailed through the last few pages. It's nott my usual sort of fair though so this review may well be a little harsh, if you're a chick lit fan or love a beach read, this is quite probably fine.

No Holding Back
No Holding Back
Price: 3.32

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay If You Like That Kind Of Thing..., 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: No Holding Back (Kindle Edition)
This book was my book club choice and isn't the kind of thing I'd usually read. It's and easy read, and I learned soemthings I didn't know about Amanda Holden - I had no idea she actually had a muscal theatre career for example. But there you go, I'm not a big follow of celebraty culture.

The early part of this book, when Amanda recounts her childhood, is poorly written. Kind of anecdotal but stilted with nothing to emotionallly connect to, the writing is undeveloped and unsophisticated - perhaps it's intentional to reflect Amanda's own immaturity at the time.

I have to say Amanda is honest and self deprecating about her affair with Neil Morrissey and the writing improves enormously when she writes about the loss of her first baby - you do begin to connect with her and the book flows wellto the end.

There is a lot of justification abotu family arguments and Amanda does give the impression she was wholly blameless and that it was her sisters jealousy and her grandmothers stubborness that led to the breakdown..hmmm...not sure I believe you there Amanda - not entirely sure requesting your sister to bring your dogs to you becuase you were desperate to see them wasn't the straw that broke the camels back...?

So what did I learn? That Amanda seems nice enough, that she thinks her job is wonderful but that she maybe doesn't realise the rest of the world might not agree. That she isn't a natural story teller. That she reveals more about herself than I think she intended to do...

The Weight of Water
The Weight of Water
by Sarah Crossan

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Weight of Water (Paperback)
I've not read Crossan before and when I saw this book was written in verse I was in two minds about reading this one. I'm glad my stupid mind took a back seat and let the other one read the book.

It's so unusual, feather light and yet with such depth of emotion and story I was swept along. I absolutely loved Kasienka and while it deals with immigration and bullying the book is really about her. That's why you care. Kasienka lives on every page - it felt so real I was convinced it had to be autobiographical - is it? I need to know!

Absolutely recommended to every one. I loved it.

Me Myself Milly
Me Myself Milly
by Penelope Bush
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Bush's best To Date, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Me Myself Milly (Paperback)
I've read all Penelope Bush's work - she is VERY readable - but I think this is her best to date. I thought I'd guessed the ending quite early on but Bush cranks up the tension about mid-way through and I wasn't quite sure...she has a compelling way of pulling you through a story. It's very well done.

I loved Milly, I loved the burgeoning love story, I loved the layers of character complexity that Bush weaves through her story.

Recommend for girls (probably) of 11-111.

Shine
Shine
by Candy Gourlay
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Future Classic from Candy Gourlay, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Shine (Hardcover)
Ever since I read Tall Story I've been itching for Gourlay's next book and Shine doesn't disappoint.

It's different - darker - and yet Gourlay's distinctive voice rings out on every page. Part mystery, part tender love story, part thriller, part coming of age story and all set against the back drop of dual worlds in England and the Philipines - it feels like Candy Gourlay is creating her very own genre.

Gourlay's books linger, they haunt. I can't help but think she's writing future classics - there is nothing throw away about Gourlay's writing. Her books are treasures.

Recommended for 12- 112.

Frozen in Time
Frozen in Time
by Ali Sparkes

5.0 out of 5 stars Tip top!, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Frozen in Time (Paperback)
I don't know why it took me so long to get round to reading this but I'm kind of glad I waited. I loved it.

Sparkes creates characters very much fo their time - both the Blyton-esque fifties children and the modern day kids. It had a flavour of books I loved as a child and yet it's bang up to date. Tightly plotted, fun, exciting - this was a worthy winner of the Blue Peter Book Award and I heartily recommend it.

The Red Pony
The Red Pony
by John Steinbeck

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry? What? Where is the middle of this book?, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Red Pony (Paperback)
My first foray into Steinbeck on the recommendation of my brother who loves his writing. Shocking, grim and puzzling - each of the four chapters felt like they belonged to different books - what happens to the foal??? So many unfunisahed threads I wanted to scream. Still do in fact.

Still, I guess that means I cared about the characters - at least some of them - and it bothered me that there was no resolution. Which means I cared about the story, for what story was there.

And at least I understand why people go on about Steinbeck's writing - there is something extraordinary about his writing. Ultimately, I finished this book cross for all the wrong reasons - I don't think good writing is enough. Fair enough if you're only writing to congratulate yourself on your writing ability but not if you're writing for an audience.

I felt cheated.

Little Evie in the Wild Wood
Little Evie in the Wild Wood
by Jackie Morris
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful retelling of an old story., 5 Sep 2013
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a Jackie Morris book illustrated by someone else - I'm such a fan of Jackie's work. Yet there's a misty quality about Catherine Hyde's images, they drape a tranluscent veil around Jackie Morris's words - setting this book in its own world. I have two wonderful artists to admire now!It just really works. And I adore the retelling, I won't give away the ending but Hoorah and Hoorah! This book has one foot in the past and one firmly in a future I'd like to see - wonderful.

I'm Dougal Trump . . . Where's My Tarantula?
I'm Dougal Trump . . . Where's My Tarantula?
by D. Trump
Price: 5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny., 7 May 2013
I think I like this one even more than the first one! Funny, well plotted, easy to read - just thinking about what life throws at Dougal Trump makes me smile. My bath water went cold as I read and read - absolutely fab. Ideal for 7+ but a lot in it for older reluctant readers (and their mums hee hee hee).

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Metamorphosis and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions)
Price: 0.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers is as Bonkers does, 1 May 2013
I bought this to remind myself of what Kafka was all about. Still don't know - it's crazy. Worth a read for that alone

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5