Profile for vikingraider > Reviews

Harris Victory Galvanised Pail
Harris Victory Galvanised Pail
Price: 8.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Item, 19 Jan 2013
This deserves a high rating. As others say, it's a bucket, so what? But considering it costs only marginally more than a cheap plastic one, it's well made, watertight and ideal for purpose of clearing ash out of our wood boiler (and believe me, there is a lot of ash and it's very, very hot). Perfect!

Dorset Cereals Honey Granola 550 g (Pack of 2)
Dorset Cereals Honey Granola 550 g (Pack of 2)
Offered by EveryThing4You
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cereal, 19 Jan 2013
So what are people to do when they want the health of top-notch muesli/granola, but without the addition of dried fruit bits that is sadly so common?

Thankfully, Dorset cereals caters exactly to our needs with this one. Superbly clean ingredients, no excessive sugar and if the calorie/fat count seems high, that's mainly due to the amount of nuts in there.

I cannot recommend this one highly enough. Shame they made it harder to ship to Denmark though otherwise I'd have bought 50 more packets!

Look What We Found! Staffordshire Chicken Tikka (8 X 250g)
Look What We Found! Staffordshire Chicken Tikka (8 X 250g)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 19 Jan 2013
We're into good food and despite that, sometimes it is a rush or you just need something quick so these are a great find, especially since we no longer have access to the higher-end UK supermarket offerings.

The portion sizes are not massive, but in a way that's a great way to regulate how much you actually eat. The ingredients are very high quality, no mentions of hydrogenated fats or MSG, which is crucial for me. The taste is slightly spicy, which again is ideal for our needs. Probably partly as a result of the lack of additives, the sauce is better suited to rice that to a Naan bread.

The other good thing is that due to the high quality packaging, this doesn't need storing in a fridge or freezer and can actually be shipped outside of the Uk. Again, great news for us!

Will definitely be buying again.

Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia
Forgotten Land: Journeys Among the Ghosts of East Prussia
by Max Egremont
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "Hushed-up History" would be an apt title too, 27 July 2012
The truism that "history is written by the victors" is never more apt than when talking about the lost German territories of Prussia, Silesia and Pomerania. I've always been into world war 2 and when I was about 13, started to wonder how the map of Europe where Germany, Poland and Russia could look so different in just 30 years between 1914 and 1945. I've come to know that something horrific, even comparable to the holocaust occurred, but no-one will ever teach you this (While GCSE history shows kids Schindlers List as if it was a documentary) and very, very few ever write about it.

Thankfully, books are starting to appear that explore the subject and this one was great. I plan someday to go on a train trip around these places and the atmosphere the author builds up had me drifting in thought to wanting to go there and I have since looked up photos of many of the things he describes. (Schlobitten and the Tannenberg monument are unrecognisable!). At this point it was a 5 star classic. It drifts toward then end into drawn out repetition of personal narrative, which, while still interesting, drops it to 4 stars for me. Highly recommended reading though and you will find yourself wanting to go there and explore for yourself, I promise.

Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance
Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance
by Nouriel Roubini
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but Disagree with some of the Solutions, 25 Oct 2011
This is a great book for understanding the crisis that occurred in 2007-8 and is indeed very much still occurring, despite these so-called "green shoots of recovery" politicians would have us believe are sprouting through since (if only we would all just borrow and spend even more!). It's also a great book for predicting where the crisis will go and Roubini is pretty clear on his prediction, like many other experts I have read, of a Japan-style deflation, a deleveraging private sector and a pacman government that borrows more and more. He is also rather scathing of the Federal reserve and it's bailing out of anyone and everyone, a practice we in the UK are also too familiar with now half of our poisoned banking sector is in government (ie OUR) hands.

Where I have to disagree with Roubini is on 3 points :-

1) According to him, gold cannot become the new reserve currency as it is "too scarce". Hmmm surely this scarcity is exactly what the world needs for a new, sound, paperless currency.
2) In the credit crunch it was right the government bailed out at least some of the banking system otherwise "good, sound businesses could have gone under". Well if they would good and sound, they would not be living off credit, is my view.
3) The financial world needs more of the right regulation. In my view, it never gets the right regulation and never will, there are always too many vested interests among the elite in government and finance to actually look after the common man.

Obviously, these are all just my view, and that would clearly mark me down by Roubini as a libertarian, a label I'm more than happy with.

Tisserand Signature Blend Awakening Shower & Bath Wash
Tisserand Signature Blend Awakening Shower & Bath Wash
Price: 5.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Overratedly expensive, 9 Aug 2011
Don't buy this if you are into organics and avoiding Sodium Laureth sulphate and parabens. It claims to be SLS-free but actually contains "Ammonium Laureth sulphate" instead, which sounds pretty similar to me and had a similar effect on my skin leading to me throwing it away.

Next 100 Years, The
Next 100 Years, The
by George Friedman
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Next 100 Years, The (Paperback)
I felt like writing this review after seeing all of the negative reviews this book gets. It really is worth reminding everyone that no-one can truly know the future, but George Friedman makes a really good attempt. Nothing ever rises in a straight line and it is very very easy to knock the USA simply because it is the world's dominant super power of the moment in the same way Great Britain was 100 years ago. Sure, right now it's facing some serious problems but on a 100 year view, I have no doubt this will only look like a blip. If anyone reads the history of the Roman Empire, it had it's ups and downs, numerous crises, in-fighting and presidential assasinations, yet somehow it persisted for over 500 years. Given that the US has only been an economic force for 150 years or so, I really have to agree it probably has a long way left to go on the world stage - I also like the way he concludes his theories as I can easily see the Mexicans as the "barbarians at the gates" someday in the distant future....I can also definitely see Turkey also emerging. I don't expect everything he says to come true so soon, especially some of the technologies he talks about, but the overriding theories are very enjoyable to read.

The Forgotten Soldier (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
The Forgotten Soldier (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
by Guy Sajer
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Oct 2009
There are many debates on whether or not this is a true story or a semi-novel based on some similar experiences. I can only say that if it's true then it is one of the most amazing accounts of wartime I have ever read for the sad realities soldiers have to face. His description of having dysentry while desperately retreating in a truck and the palpable relief of finally getting a real warm shower afterwards felt so real to me I almost felt I was there. Also, worth noting that many of the combat experiences described are in lesser or unknown battles, which then led me to do further research for example, the Russian seige of Memel, which are interesting accounts to help understand the desperation felt by German soldiers at the end of ww2 as the russians closed in on one side and the allies on the other.

The End of Food
The End of Food
by Paul Roberts
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: The End of Food (Paperback)
I love these books that look at the truth behind the apparent bountiful food harvest we enjoy right now and look at the harsh realities of it all. This is one of the best books I ever read on the subject, as Paul Roberts unveils a theory I agree with of a coming catastrophe in global food supply.

Only downside, and hence the 4 stars, is that the author lets his personal views on the topic pervade some of the examples of food and agricultural processes and seems to think governments should do more to help fix the problem, whereas while I read the book, it became pretty obvious government intervention is the major cause of the problem (price supports, etc. to win votes).

Sadly, I think we have to accept the crisis will occur, and from an investing point of view, I never saw clearer evidence that I should be socking a load cash into places like Brazil and Argentina who will become the agricultural powerhouses of the 21st century, usurping the USA.

Cityboy: Beer and Loathing in the Square Mile
Cityboy: Beer and Loathing in the Square Mile
by Geraint Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 28 Sep 2009
I worked in the city for seven years, and recognised characters from many of the stories and anecdotes which concur with my own experiences, for example, I certainly never encountered cocaine users, that I was aware of anyway, until I started working there, as are the stories of general laddishness and the walk of fame if you turn up for work in the same shirt as yesterday....nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Where the book loses credence with me however, is the author's general smugness and desire to turn against the world which made him so much money, and which he obviously enjoyed being part of greatly at the time. Now, we are led to believe he's turned his back on his shallow, consumerist existence and become a tree hugger and philosopher (no mention of whether the drugs bit is still true tho)...spill the beans Geraint, are you donating the royalties from this book to some worthwhile charity?

All in all, can't recommend it at all, unless you have the ability to ignore the author's ego and concentrate on the city anecdotes, many of which are entirely accurate. I'd personally still recommend it as a great place to work and play!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4