Profile for Reynaldo Abreu > Reviews

Content by Reynaldo Abreu

Reynaldo Abreu (Cambridge, UK)

Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)
Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)
Offered by London Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential item, 2 Aug. 2013
Excellent quality headphones, have become an essential item for my ps3. Worth the price for quality and wireless convenience.

I use my ps3 not only for playing games but also for streaming movies and series and with the headphones I can watch them and play games at late hours without bothering anyone else in the household. The sounds are crisp and clear and the very convenient controls are easy to use. I almost exclusively only use the volume control as the 'bass impact' function gives me a bit of discomfort (low frequency thumping can be actually painful to your eardrums) - so I switch it off completely.

It could be improved with a longer charging cable (comes with a meter long one) and longer battery life, but overall it makes an excellent product.

A Song of Ice and Fire, 7 Volumes
A Song of Ice and Fire, 7 Volumes
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a good collection, 2 Aug. 2013
I bought 'Game of Thrones' as a taster after listening to friends promote the awesomeness of the TV series. Can't tell you about the TV series though, but the book got me hooked from start to finish. Very well written and engaging fantasy with lots of interesting character development and intrigue that will keep your attention imprisoned along. Written in the third person omnipresent, the books are structured in chapters that will center the attention on the events affecting one character at a time, as parallel stories of intrigue, power, treason, violence, fantasy, chivalry and sex.

This is not a book for children or for those easily offended with sexual imagery and profanity as it contains a lot of it - which in my opinion adds a layer of authenticity to the stories, reminding us of the flaws and virtues that overlap most of human character.

I decided to buy the whole book set because it's a very good value. It includes a very convenient Westeros map that helps understand better the overwhelming avalanche of places, families, names and imagery created by Martin - rivaling the great Tolkien himself.

super9shop PL2303HX USB to TTL to UART RS232 COM Cable module Converter
super9shop PL2303HX USB to TTL to UART RS232 COM Cable module Converter
Offered by A-SZCXTOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says, helpful color coding, 2 Aug. 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for to work with my headless Raspberry PI. Although much cheaper than from other sources, it took a couple of weeks to arrive from mainland China. The cable arrived in perfect condition with no instructions at all but the color coding matches the pin-out show in the Adafruit tutorial and works like a charm.

Spring in Action
Spring in Action
by Craig Walls

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, albeit a tad superficial, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Spring in Action (Paperback)
Although an experienced Java and Web developer, I had minimum contact with Spring before getting this book. I had already read a number of pages from Springsource, but the lack of an "official" orientated learning path for annotated Spring 3.1 plus the immense amount of fragmentary information surrounding Spring put me off.
This book accomplished my initial objective: getting me on the right track, briefing me up on Spring technologies and paradigms without extending too much on the minute details of each aspect. It is a pleasant read, humorous and has good teaching value. Yet, one can ask for so much; it is also superficial, as it condenses the broad gamut of Spring framework in roughly 400 pages which has proven insufficient for other than basic examples - As Spring MVC is arguably the most popular of its components, I was expecting an in-to-depth approach but the chapter ended with the feeling of "wanting more".
Please note it is updated for Spring 3.0 but as we are in the middle of 3.2, a new revision is overdue.

Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35)
Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of space with the perfect size, 16 Jan. 2013
I bought it because I needed a small fit drive for my Roberts Stream 83i radio. It does the trick very well - it is almost flush with the radio's frontal face, yet I don't have that much trouble pulling it out when needed, although it may require a little bit more of force than usual for other drives..

LeapFrog LeapPad Gel Skin (Green) (for LeapPad1 and 2)
LeapFrog LeapPad Gel Skin (Green) (for LeapPad1 and 2)
Offered by Killer Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly. Looks sturdy., 16 Jan. 2013
It's a perfect fit for the LeapPad2. All holes are well aligned and seems like a good way to prevent scratches. It is not padded, so I suppose it offers limited protection against falls on hard surfaces, but I won't be testing this.

Raspberry Pi Case - Clear Access to all ports
Raspberry Pi Case - Clear Access to all ports
Offered by SB Components Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is intended for, 16 Jan. 2013
Sturdy, fits tightly on the Pi board leaving easy access to all ports and sockets. Adequate ventilation slots. Simply put: does what it says on the tin.
Be careful to align the board correctly before closing it, because the snap-on is so tight, It's a pain to open it. I misaligned it a bit the first time and then required the help of a knife blade to pry open the case to correct it. Confirm the board is perfectly aligned by listening the power and video sockets snap into the plastic grooves.

Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting
Programming Perl: Unmatched power for text processing and scripting
by Tom Christiansen

4.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Perl bible, zesty reading, 9 Dec. 2012
Although I haven't read the first quarter of it yet (more than a thousand pages) it's obvious that this is the ultimate reference for everything Perl. It also makes for a pleasant read, as the authors abuse of humorous references and tongue-in-cheek statements specially appealing for the brainier bunch. There is also (at least in the first chapters) a concern with the linguistic background and semantic capabilities of Perl, exposed frequently.

However, the sheer volume and pacing may not be suitable for newcomers to Perl. I'd recommend this book as an addition to 'Learning Perl' by Randal L. Schwartz, Brian D Foy & Tom Phoenix. This book offers a quicker, effective hands-on introduction to Perl with a very similar refreshing tone of writing.

Ubuntu Linux Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users
Ubuntu Linux Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users
by Christopher Negus

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick reference for power users in other OS - knowing Linux, 9 Dec. 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for. A quick, accessible 'recipe' book for practical uses of the Linux shell without delving too deep into the particular mechanics. Being a power user in Windows for many years, I recently started as a dev in a new job with Linux centered users. I've browsed it on a daily basis, and it has proven invaluable on my transition.

Don't expect this book to guide you gently if you're a beginner - it's definitely oriented to solve particular tasks that are common to advanced users. I'm giving it four stars because I believe a newer edition is due.

My only regret? I wish had gotten into Linux years before!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 10:27 AM BST