Profile for Mr. R. Horberry > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dualit 3 Slice Combi Toaster Black 31205
Dualit 3 Slice Combi Toaster Black 31205

1.0 out of 5 stars pure style over substance, 13 Feb 2014
Yes, it's very, very well made and looks great, but it just doesn't toast very well. In fact it's utter rubbish. If you like half burnt, half raw toast then you'll be delighted. I've lost count of how much charred toast I've had to throw away thanks to this item of desire. All fur coat and no knickers. Avoid unless you're styling a kitchen photoshoot.

Nikon 1 J1 Battery EN-EL20 - Li-Ion
Nikon 1 J1 Battery EN-EL20 - Li-Ion
Offered by Rocina Service

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't compare to nikon equivalent, 12 Sep 2013
Holds a fraction of the charge compared to the Nikon version. OK as a backup I suppose but otherwise a false economy.

Insanity: The Ultimate Cardio Workout and Fitness DVD Programme.
Insanity: The Ultimate Cardio Workout and Fitness DVD Programme.
Offered by Beachbody

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely great, 29 Jan 2013
Just finished today. I won't repeat everyone else's praises, except to say that right now I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, and I'm nearly 50. It's incredibly hard work but strangely enjoyable. Here are a few thoughts that might help prospective buyers:
It's all about the diet - that's the secret to getting truly insane results. Not that you need to go crazy - I stuck to the spirit of the accompanying nutrition book, not the letter. Go for five small meals a day, cut out the crap, eats lots of lean protein and clean carbs and you'll be good.
Get a really bouncy yoga mat. Adidas do a great one. I'm sure my mat prevented my knees getting too battered.
Don't be intimidated by the second month. Yes it's harder, but not massively so.
Modify where necessary. Just listen to your body - if something feels really wrong then it probably is. And don't for one moment thing you need to keep up with the group on the DVD - unless you're a circuit training god you won't be able to.
Did I mention that diet is the key to really great results?

The Stranger's Child
The Stranger's Child
by Alan Hollinghurst

3.0 out of 5 stars That's not an ending, it's just stopping, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Stranger's Child (Paperback)
I had a growing feeling in the last 150 pages of "Where's he going with this?". And the answer proved to be, "Nowhere much". A poor ending that let down an otherwise marvellous, if slightly unfocussed, book. Couldn't his editor have had a quiet word?

Attack The Block [DVD]
Attack The Block [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Frost
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Not funny, not scary, just awful, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Attack The Block [DVD] (DVD)
Cornish should hang his head in shame. And as other reviewers have noted, the main characters deserve a damn good thrashing. Which unfortunately they don't get.

Cult-Ure
Cult-Ure
by Rian Hughes
Edition: Imitation Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing (well, almost), 22 April 2012
This review is from: Cult-Ure (Imitation Leather)
What a remarkable book. On one hand it deserves six or seven out of five for its graphic design, its physical form and its many thoughts on memes, beliefs, culture, ideas and thought. On the other perhaps four out of five as some of the visuals don't really work and several of the texts feel a tad dry. But I quibble; overall it's a stunning achievement - beautiful, desirable, thought provoking and intelligent. I've just finished it and all I want to do is read it again, which seems a pretty good reaction. If you're interested in design, communications, ideas or culture do yourself a favour and get a copy.

Room 121: A Masterclass in Writing and Communication in Business
Room 121: A Masterclass in Writing and Communication in Business
by John Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise words, 30 Oct 2011
This great little book is warm, human, highly readable and a delight from start to finish. It's also a rich source of advice and opinion from two truly excellent writers. My only minor niggle is that the authors almost always agree with each other, whereas a bit of cut and thrust might have provided even more food for thought. But as I say, an excellent book that deserves every writer's attention.

Write Copy Make Money
Write Copy Make Money
by Andy Maslen

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for experienced writers too, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Write Copy Make Money (Paperback)
I think it's fair to say this book is broadly aimed at younger/less experienced copywriters, but there's loads of good stuff for old farts like myself. His advice on charging by the job rather than the day/hour is worth the cover price alone. I don't agree with everything he says but that's life. Overall a fine book pretty much any freelance copywriter would benefit from reading.

Online Marketing in 7 Days!: For people who can't avoid it any longer
Online Marketing in 7 Days!: For people who can't avoid it any longer
by Sarah McCartney

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know, 12 July 2011
If - like many people of a certain age, including myself - you're slightly unsure about the point of online marketing and how to get started selling yourself via social media then this book is a godsend. It's clear, practical and inspiring. I should say that I know the author and I was one of the many people she canvased for opinions while writing. Back then I was sceptical about the whole online marketing thing; the finished book has helped convince me otherwise. If you're looking for a good primer then this is the place to start.

What's it All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
What's it All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
by Julian Baggini

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 4 April 2011
I think the negative reviewers are being harsh. Of course the author doesn't come to a neat conclusion - hardly likely given the subject. And of course it isn't a technical treatise on philosophy - hardly relevant given the audience. Instead this book offers a highly readable, highly informative account of what might, possibly, constitute a good life, drawn from across the whole subject of philosophy. I thought it was all very illuminating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3