Profile for Jennifer > Reviews

Content by Jennifer

Jennifer (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time 75%
by Don Aslett

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life....Really!!, 10 April 2009
I borrowed an old dusty edition of this book from my local library about 8 years ago in the hope that I'd pick up a few tips on how to reduce my workload in the house. I seemed to be doing housework 24 hours a day often still mopping the floor at 11pm and yet the house never looked either clean or tidy. I was exhausted and the children were losing out as I never had time to do the fun things.

Today, as a direct result of Dan Aslett's very readable and humorous book my housework takes a fraction of the time even though I now have 5 children instead of the then 2 and I have even given some talks to Moms on house cleaning technique!! Dan's focus particularly on how to prevent work by decluttering and having and using the correct equipment means that the house becomes a place to relax and unwind rather than a source of stress.

I've bought a number of copies for friends and will continue to do so.
I cannot recommend this book enough for anyone who feels they're drowning in the house!

The newer editions of Aslett's books are cheerful with fun illustrations.

Entertaining for Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
Entertaining for Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
by Suzanne Pollak

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I'm not a dummy but...., 18 Nov. 2008
I was hosting an 80th birthday party in my house this summer and bought this book on a whim..it helped me with the finishing touches of the preparations (like texting my sisters and friends at the last minute looking for light jazz cds "because my book said that's the most suitable music for most parties"..etc)I think I was becoming a bit of an entertainment myself!! The party was a huge success and I've been bitten with the entertaining bug so the book will come in handy.

Introduction to the Theology of the Body: An Adult Faith Formation Program Based on Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body
by Christopher West

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey This ROCKS!!!!, 18 Nov. 2008
This holds the key to a lot of our problems. Christopher West is very readable and presents these quite lofty concepts in the language of the common man..funny and down to earth.

Improvise with Eric Nagler
Improvise with Eric Nagler

5.0 out of 5 stars COOOOL................, 18 Nov. 2008
Eric Nagler featured for many years in the Elephant Show with Sharon, Lois and Bram and was always very entertaining and lovable, this CD really captures his natural affinity with both children and music, which is presented in a completely new way. I LOVE this compilation and just wish he had more 'stuff' available. Oh! Our children love it too and always request that it 'happens' to be playing whenever we're giving any of their friends a lift!

Go, Dog. Go! (Beginner Series)
Go, Dog. Go! (Beginner Series)
by P. D. Eastman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun book, 18 Nov. 2008
This book has been a favourite of all our children especially our youngest, a boy. It's ideal for beginner readers as they soon learn the text by heart and get the satisfaction of reading success, however fraudulent!

The Hounds Of The Morrigan
The Hounds Of The Morrigan
by Pat O'Shea

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great, 8 Nov. 2008
I worked as a librarian in a past life and one day going in for my coffee break I picked up a random book and read the first paragraph...this is one of those hard to find books where you're immediately interested (this is not to run down the books where a bit of perseverance pays off) it's fun, and I remember describing it to someone as having the maximum amount of action and excitement that could be crammed in. Even though it's a children's book, I recommended it many times to adults and each of them was delighted with it. That was quite a long time ago now and I can't remember the story but I'm definitely going to get it for our 5 children and read it again.

Lettering in Crazy, Cool, Quirky Style (Klutz)
Lettering in Crazy, Cool, Quirky Style (Klutz)
by Karen Phillips
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars You will NEVER be disappointed with Klutz, 7 Nov. 2008
My 11 year old daughter has been receiving Klutz books from Santa Claus for a number of years now and this book like all the others is EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT. Outside the box is the hallmark of Klutz and I wouldn't be surprised to find that all their employees were aged between 8-20 as they really understand the mind of those humans who aren't adults.
I couldn't recommend this publisher enough. On this book specifically, my daughter brought it into school and it was a hit with the entire class of boys and girls.

Back to the Family: Proven Advise on Building Stronger, Healthier, Happier Family: Proven Advice on Building a Stronger, Healthier, Happier Family
by Raymond Guarendi

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very helpful book, 7 Nov. 2008
The 100 teachers voted the most excellent in USA were asked which family immediately came to mind as the most successful (as in family life, well adjusted happy children etc as opposed to academic excellence). The compilers of this book then interviewed the often reluctant families on all sorts of parenting and family life issues. The resulting book is a very easy to read compilation of bite sized gems..a book you can dip in and out of as I've been doing for a number of years now.

An example I've had great success with is to put bickering siblings down at a table with pen and paper and each has to write or draw (appropriate to age) about what they like in the other, by the time they're finished almost always their war has turned to peace!

Common wisdom from a collection of very likeable parents and their families who were sought out for what they have proved to be rather than self appointed 'experts' we all could name.

Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder
Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder
by Evelyn Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book in your life..., 7 Nov. 2008
I finished reading Brideshead Revisited sitting in my car in a quiet leafy car park on a sunny morning...I sat in silence for about 20 minutes pondering what I'd just read, and for the next few days avoided unnecessary conversation. This is a quiet masterpiece of literature, every word is a pleasure to read and the triumph of man over his flawed nature which so beautifully applies to each character in the book makes it stand head and shoulders above any other book I've ever read, I almost feel I can never read another book again! I would add that a believing Christian would grasp the concepts in Brideshead Revisited to a greater extent than would an aetheist or humanist,(Waugh himself is known as one of the greatest Catholic writers along with his contemporaries Chesterton and Tolkien).

You Choose!
You Choose!
by Pippa Goodhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Copy is in Tatters!!, 6 Nov. 2007
This review is from: You Choose! (Paperback)
Santa Claus brought this book about two years ago and it has been a great hit with each of our 5 children, the younger ones especially never tire of choosing their food clothes, hobbies etc. It's perfect for bringing somewhere you need the children to be quiet as an ability to read really makes no difference to the enjoyment or the book. I even enjoy choosing the luxurious and novel beds etc myself! Well worth buying for any child from talking age up.

Page: 1 | 2