Profile for Brian Coulter > Reviews

Content by Brian Coulter

Brian Coulter

Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary
by Marcus J. Borg

3.0 out of 5 stars Too scholarly for my taste. Not an easy read. But it's OK., 18 Feb. 2012
This book was OK. I wasn't looking for a scholarly book that made me feel I was taking a course at Divinity School! But if you like that type of book, then this book is for you. I also just finished Peter Cayce's book, "What Did Jesus Really Say -- What To Say To A Born Again Christian Fundamentalist, But Never Had The Information." Personally, I thought Peter Cayce's book was better. Easy to read. Enjoyable. Interesting as well. It's up to you. Here's the Amazon link:

What Did Jesus Really Say-How Christianity Went Astray: [What To Say To A Born Again Christian Fundamentalist, But Never Had The Information]

How To Be Born Again
How To Be Born Again
by Graham Billy

4.0 out of 5 stars Billy Graham is up to par., 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: How To Be Born Again (Paperback)
I always liked Billy Graham. Fervent, but not overly fanatical. He's the genuine article. I really liked his book. It's definitely worth the read, even if he is a bit fervent in what he believes. He's passionate even in his old age. I also recommend Peter Cayce's book, "What Did Jesus Really Say -- What To Say To A Born Again Christian, But Never Had The Information (Author: Peter Cayce). I loved this book! I've been telling everyone about it. Here's a link:

The Way: Using the Wisdom of Kabbalah for Spiritual Transformation and Fulfillment
by Michael Berg

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book a lot., 18 Feb. 2012
I really liked this book. Michael Berg does a good job. Is Michael related to Yehuda Berg? I think so. Check out the "Power of Kabbalah" by Yehudah Berg. This is also a very good book.

Also check out Peter Cayce's "What Did Jesus Really Say-How Christianity Went Astray: What To Say To A Born Again Christian Fundamentalist, But Never Had The Information." Check out the reviews. Among other things, Cayce covers Kabbalah, reincarnation, and the fact that Jesus may have studied / practiced Kabbalah:

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
by Penn Jillette

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 18 Feb. 2012
This is an excellent book. Very well written. The mind of Penn Jillette is a very interesting one! I liked his interview on Piers Morgan so much that I decided to buy his book. I wasn't disappointed. It's not really a "treatise" on Atheism. But it doesn't claim to be. It's more a story about Penn Gillette and his life experiences. I also recommend the following book on Amazon, It might be of interest to readers of Jillette's book:

Atheism 101: Answers, Explanations and Rebuttals
Atheism 101: Answers, Explanations and Rebuttals

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good asnswers to questions about Atheism., 18 Feb. 2012
This abbreviated / short book is well written. The book is more of a an atheism related FAQ manual. It does have very good answers, and it does cover issues that I have not heard before. I highly recommend it. If interested, there's another book on a similar subject. Here's the link on Amazon:

A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years
by Diarmaid MacCulloch

3.0 out of 5 stars Very long. Feels like a textbook., 18 Feb. 2012
This book is long. Feels like a textbook. I'm not opposed to a textbook if that's what I wanted to read, but sometimes I like to read something lighter. I actually prefer the following book so much better. Easy to read. Concise. I've been telling all my friends about it. Now I'm telling my fellow Amazon readers. Here's the Amazon link:

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2014 2:07 PM BST

Christianity For Dummies
Christianity For Dummies
by Richard Wagner

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book. Answers many questions, 18 Feb. 2012
I really like these "For Dummies" books. This one in particular is very good. Very well written. Covers a lot of information. I'm also going to recommend another book that I've just read. I've recommended it to many people. Just passing it along. Here's the Amazon link:

World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
by John Westerdal Bowker

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad based and comprehensive, 18 Feb. 2012
This book is broad based and comprehensive. Covers a lot of information. Well written and interesting. I highly recommend it. If you also want to read something something focusing more on Born Again Christianity, you may want to check out the following book on Amazon. I liked it too. I've recommended it to many people. Here's the Amazon link:

by Peter Cayce

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 18 Feb. 2012
I really love this book. I especially liked the chapter "How The Universe Really Works." This particular chapter is an interesting mix of esoteric and philosophic thought that ties in directly to what Jesus taught. I also love the chapter "Dinner With The Fundamentalists" where Peter Cayce describes a dinner meeting with a group of Christian Fundamentalists. Both interesting and funny, it really hit home for me. Cayce really handles this entire subject with taste and diplomacy. The book is an easy read. I've read it twice and liked it even better the second time. I've also read some of the other reviews here, and I wouldn't call this book an entry level "101" book. There is some advanced information here, but it is definitely written for the layman. For everyday people. Not for Divinity School scholars. Terrific book. Enjoyable read. The chapter "How The Universe Really Works" is also worth the price of the book alone.