Profile for Capt I. McRae > Reviews

Content by Capt I. McRae

Capt I. McRae "The Ancient Mariner" (Angus, Scotland.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
In Search of Divine Reality
In Search of Divine Reality
by Lothar Schafer

5.0 out of 5 stars What a stunningly good book! While not sacrificing the academic facts, 24 Aug 2014
What a stunningly good book ! While not sacrificing the academic facts, Lothar Schafer makes quantum physics accessible to the educated layman. In his preface he states that this was his aim, and he has succeeded admirably. Other reviewers have done a fine job of saying all that needs said, but I'd like to add that this book confirms many concepts ffrom Eastern religion and Theosophy, that have been considered "hooey" by the academic establishment ... until now ! That nothing is "real, "reality" only exists in the mind and essentially we construct our own reality through observation of what we are actually expecting has been the preserve of Eastern religion ... until now. We owe a debt of gratitude to Lothar Schafer for giving us an explanation of quantum mechanics that anyone with some education can understand.

The Man Who Knew
The Man Who Knew
by Ralph Waldo Trine

3.0 out of 5 stars Ralph Waldo Trine is one of my favourite authors in the genre of self improvement, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Knew (Paperback)
Ralph Waldo Trine is one of my favourite authors in the genre of self improvement, and this book is incredibly important to anyone who will take the time to read it. It is an inspiration, and sheds some new (actually very old !) light on the teachings of one of the greatest Masters ever. I heartily recommend ... nay URGE .... that everyone should read this book. It has the capacity to utterly change your life. Unfortunately this particular edition, published by Bottom Of The Hill Publishing, seems to be one of these auto scanned reprints that nobody proof reads before inflicting on the general public. "Bottom of the hill" is apt as the standard of the printed content is poor, being full of errors and typos that look like a rubbish job from the scanner. So ... while I would urge all of you to get a copy of this book and read it .... I would suggest you try to find an original second hand copy of the book, as these robotic scanned reprints always seem to be full of annoying errors. Hence the three stars only. Trine was a genius, but this reprint of his work does not do him justice ! Proper proof reading to correct mistakes means they would have to pay someone to do it, and make the book slightly more expensive. It's the old story again .... if you buy cheap, you actually buy dear !

H. P. Blavatsky; A Great Betrayal
H. P. Blavatsky; A Great Betrayal
by Alice Leighton Cleather

1.0 out of 5 stars The printers of this book have absolutely ruined an important text and I cannot find myself able to recommend it at all, 4 July 2014
The content of this book is an important essay by Alice Leighton Cleather about the happenings in the Theosophical Society shortly after the passing of its Founder, H. P. Blavatsky. It is important, but I would urge anyone interested in reading Alice Cleather's book to seek out another source of it.

In the first page of this book there is a short message titled, "How We Made This Book For You". It says it was made using patented print on demand technology, which used robots to scan every page then the proof reading, typing and design of the book were done automatically using Optical Character Recognition software. They then say, "This let us keep your cost as low as possible".

Sadly this technology, while keeping costs down, also alters the book with typos and misalignments so much that it is difficult to read and often very hard to make any sense of. The printers of this book have absolutely ruined an important text and I cannot find myself able to recommend it at all.

As an example of the gobbledygook the publisher's technology is capable of, let me just quote from page 33, "H.P.B. also wrote in The Theosophist, for October 1879 "Unconcerned about politics; hostile to the insane dreams of Socialism and Cnmrqynism, wrhirh if ahhnrg-as Uo'th""aie but UmfftTTsen conspiraripg rf hrnfat fnr and slufiftishnesS against hrnp la. hrmr fvip Society cares but little about the outward human management of the material world."

Now if you can make sense of that, you are a better person than me !

Don't buy it. Try to find an old original copy. These "print on demand" copies are total rubbish.

The Justice Cooperative
The Justice Cooperative
by Joseph P. Martino

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine "Can't Put Down", 9 Jun 2014
This book was a real “can’t put down”. A great story in itself, it ultimately also asks questions, and makes statements, about the state of law and order today. While the action takes place in the USA, the subject matter makes it very relevant to European countries too, not least … our very own United Kingdom. The lack of sanction against criminals, the politically correct precedence given to criminals “human rights” as opposed to the rights of the victims, firearms legislation and many other social phenomena are discussed via the story of the people portrayed in this book. The tension builds up, and the book very much became a book I just had to get more of. I heartily recommend this book, not only for its great story, but also for the points it makes about western society's "justice" systems.

Final Solution: Germany's Madagascar Resettlement Plan
Final Solution: Germany's Madagascar Resettlement Plan
by Ralph Grandinetti

2.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Theory - Somewhat Let Down By Historical Inaccuracy, 26 May 2014
It is a truism that, after a war, the history books are written by the victors, and so we have a "historical" view of the period before, during and after World War II that may not be 100% accurate. It is therefore important that those who seek the truth should read both sides of the story and make their own minds up. This is particularly so with the German side of the story of the Great Conflict of 1939 - 45. Revisionist writings are an important source of finding the middle ground which may be closer to the truth

Due to our history books, works of literature, movies and comic books we have all been convinced that Germany had a "Final Solution" plan for dealing with what they saw as the menace of the Jews. That "Final Solution" was, according to accepted wisdom, extermination of the Jewish race. What if that was not the case, and the "Final Solution" was something much less drastic, and involved giving German Jews a land of their own ? That is what this book proposes, and makes a convincing case for its argument including the testimony of diplomats of the day. A fascinating book.

Fascinating indeed, but somewhat let down by a common misconception in the book's nation of origin which rears its head time and time again within the text. The author switches constantly between speaking of "England" and "Britain" as if they were one and the same entity, when in fact nothing could be farther from the truth. This happens throughout the book, but a classic case of this is on page 34 when both terms are used in one sentence ! "Roosevelt confided to Jimmy Warburg his concern that England's struggle with Germany was fast depleting the British treasury". Later in the same paragraph it is stated that "Warburg favoured outright grants - from the American taxpayer - to the English government". Since 1706 at the Union Of The Crowns, when England and Scotland were joined as one nation of Great Britain, ENGLAND HAS NOT HAD A GOVERNMENT ! I have noticed these gross errors of fact in the The Barnes Review, on many occasions. The Barnes Review is the publisher of this book.

It seems to be a peculiarly American error, as I constantly hear US citizens speaking of "England" when they mean the UK, and referring to "The Queen of England" when there is no such person, any more than President Obama is just the President of California !

Now follows a short geography lesson aimed at our American cousins. Our Queen is the Queen of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain And Northern Ireland" or the UK as we shorten it to. The UK comprises four nations, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and ..... England. So you see that England is just one equal partner in a partnership of four countries. Britain comprises three of these countries, Scotland, Wales and .... England. England did not fight a war against Hitler ... the UK did. The UK military forces comprised men and women from all four countries, not just "England", and we find it unforgiveable when people speak of "England" fighting Hitler.

One worries in case such errors of historical fact mean that the "facts" quoted in support of the book's argument are similarly flawed ! If authors who purport to be historians can't get a simple fact like this right .... how can we be expected to believe their theories. I'm sorry, but these constant errors of fact spoiled this book for me, as much as I like to read competing views of history. The book is seriously flawed.

I would still like to recommend that the book is read. The concept behind it is worth consideration, and as I said earlier revisionist writing is a prime source of getting at the truth of WWII, but the factual historical errors would make me have reservations about its veracity. Read with caution.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2014 3:33 PM BST

The Religion of the Occident
The Religion of the Occident
by Martin A. Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Unbiased Account Of The History of Christianity - Not For The Faint Hearted !, 17 May 2014
What a phenomenal book !

When it first arrived I was a little demoralised by its size, and thought it would be a “hard read”. How wrong I was. I found it utterly fascinating and hard to put down.

It is written in an easy style, but this does not reduce its importance as a history of how Christianity came into being as a logical extension of pre-Christian religions, beginning with the Egyptian Osiris saviour myth. Having established the precedence of other religions in the make up of Christianity, its doctrines and ceremonial, Larson then goes on to document the schisms and heresies which began almost as soon as Jesus left the scene. It is interesting to note that Larson convincingly shows that Jesus was indeed a genuine historical personage, but was not exactly what he is said to have claimed to be, or what the later proponents of Christianity have claimed him to be.

The history of the Church is a history of intrigue, desire for worldly statehood, corruption and cruelty on a grand scale that would have been abhorrent to its alleged founder.

If you are a practising Christian you may find this book unnerving and threatening to your faith, but if you are a seeker of truth in these matters then I doubt you will be disappointed. In either case … even for professing Christians … I heartily recommend this book, for Truth is ultimately no respecter of religions. Religions are, after all, no more than human attempts to explain the unexplainable. The result of reading this book for me has been, not a loss of faith in spirituality, but perhaps a loss of faith in established Christianity. Such a loss is no more than a step along the path towards true spirituality.

CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
CPR 1200 Number Capacity Nuisance Call Blocker - Grey
Offered by CPR Distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Tool In The Armoury Against Nuisance Calls, 8 May 2014
If you are plagued with nuisance calls this is the tool for you. Before I bought this bit of kit a week ago we were bombarded with sales calls and scam calls amounting often to ten or fifteen a day. As the government seems unwilling or unable to do anything about it, and the Telephone Preference Service is a total waste of time, something else was required. On the advice of someone who had installed one of these CPR Call Blockers we decided to give it a try and I have to say we have not been disappointed. The calls that get through now are virtually zero, and because of the ease of setting up and programming the device it is simple to make sure the odd one that does get through never calls again.

The instructions that come with it are comprehensive, easy to understand, and simple to follow. Not only that but I have found that any queries e-mailed to the manufacturer are promptly and effectively answered. It is extremely easy to install and starts to work IMMEDIATELY ! One thing to remember is that you have to subscribe to the Caller ID service of your phone line provider in order for it to work, but that is usually available at minimal cost.

Thanks to this remarkable little tool, our telephone is now there for OUR benefit, and not for the benefit of annoying sales calls, silent calls and international scam artists.

This little tool has been a total boon to us, and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it to everyone.

Go on ... get one ! You have nothing to lose except the rise in your blood pressure every time you get yet another annoying nuisance call.

UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE

Now a couple of months since we bought this CPR Call Blocker and I have to tell you it is the "bee's knees", the "wasp's waistcoat" and does EXACTLY what it says it does. If you are fed up to the back teeth of nuisance calls, and are looking for something that will stop them .... look no further. It is rare nowadays to find something that does exactly what the manufacturer says it does, but believe me ... the CPR Call Blocker does it .. in spades !!! This has been the best purchase we have made in many years, and we would not be without it. Blood pressure down and peace reigns in this house now !
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2014 9:25 AM BST

Edward Weston and the Essence of Things: Photography and Metaphysics
Edward Weston and the Essence of Things: Photography and Metaphysics
by Jorg Sczepek

2.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T do what it says on the cover !, 18 April 2014
What a strange little book ! I bought it as I had seen some of Weston’s photographs and connected with them. I thought this book would give me more insight to his work. In that regard it was something of a disappointment, as it signally failed to produce that effect. There are only twelve photographs illustrating the book (But I don’t think they are by Weston … no credits are given for them !), and the text barely mentions him. All was not lost however, because while I found little in the book to elucidate Weston and his photography, I did find the explanation of quantum physics and its links to Eastern religion quite interesting.

So what to say ? If you want to gain insight to Edward Weston and his work, probably better look elsewhere. But if you are fascinated by quantum physics and its links to Eastern mysticism, this book is a nice little introduction.

A more serious criticism of the book has to be made on the technical side. Nowhere does it say that this book is a translation from another language (I suspect German), yet it appears to be so, as the translation is poor enough to make it obvious. Either a translation, or the author is not a native English speaker who has attempted to write in a language not his own. I found it irritating, but I did get the gist of what was being said, although at times I had to read twice.

I think this book, which borders on the pretentious at times, is really just an ego booster for the author, and has little merit as a book dealing with Edward Weston’s photography. There are many other books on Weston and any one of them has to be better than this. A disappointment.

Playing in the Cosmic Game: my journey from evangelical Christianity to pantheism
by Neo-Christian Pantheist

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Explanation Of The Pantheist Position, 5 April 2014
My first thoughts when I saw this book were that it might not be worth reading, as the author clearly didn’t want his name on the cover !

Having now read the book, I can fully understand why the author did this, for he is an ordained minister in a Christian church and the churches have always been quite intolerant of those expressing non-conformist views. The cruelty of those whose alleged belief in their faith is challenged is one of the great disgraces of human history. If he had put his name to this book he would have been metaphorically (if not actually !) tarred, feathered, run out of town on a rail and deprived of his ministry … all in a very short space of time.

I am always suspicious of the true motives of people who try to “convert” others to their own religious views. Speaking as a psychologist, it usually means that they are not totally sure of the religion they preach, and are seeking reassurance from the acceptance of that religion by others. This is NOT that kind of book. I don’t think the author is trying to convert anyone. What he does seem to be doing is writing down his own experience to make it clear in his own mind. If that clarification process helps others then that would be a bonus.

I had already realised that if we try to get to the source of everything by working back from matter through atoms, which are made up of electrons, etc, which are made up of even smaller particles … eventually we reach the ultimate … Pure Energy. And according to the laws of physics (The Law of the conservation of energy) we find that energy can neither be created or destroyed (It is immortal) but it can change its form, something the author of this book mentions. That change of form became everything that is, the Universe, the Earth, the plants, the animals, you me and everyone else.

I have to say that the way the author’s journey took him mirrors in many ways my own, and I empathised with him. Sometimes the way he told his story made part of my own journey clearer and this was a great benefit of reading this book.

Most importantly there were times when I found the book clarified things so well that I was actually inspired. Things came together so well that I had a personal epiphany on one occasion. I genuinely feel that this experience has changed my life in the realisation of the profundity of the pantheistic vision. I suddenly realised …. not just as something we say …. That we are all, in fact, one and our petty squabbles over religion and politics are a complete nonsense. It also seems now clear to me that if the Universe is the body of The Absolute, then we are “organs” in that body even though we are only miniscule parts. As parts of the body our work and duty should be to work for the harmony of the whole.

Now that’s a challenge, and a responsibility ….. but the purpose I lost when I lost my faith in conventional religion has been restored …. In spades !

Read this book if you are not afraid of finding an alternative to conventional faith, whatever name you put to it.

Aryan World-View
Aryan World-View
by Houston Stewart Chamberlain

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed But Useful Review of Aryan Thought, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Aryan World-View (Paperback)
Forget what the politically correct say, this is NOT a racist book, but it does reflect a common world view at the time it was written a long time ago. It is not an easy read, chiefly due to the frequently poor translation, the often poor grammar and the plethora of typos throughout the book. These demand a constant vigilance to comprehend what the author is trying to say. What he does say, however is worth hearing, as it deals with the cultural differences between European analytical ways of thinking and the Indo Aryan intuitive way of thinking. Unless one understands the differences between the two cultures one will never understand the philosophy of the Vedas and the Upanishads.

This is a book for the thinker, not for the brain dead racist who will take out of it ideas that are just not there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13