Profile for bobbyrobertfreak > Reviews

Redbird
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 5.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw the redbird fly...., 3 Sep 2005
This review is from: Redbird (Audio CD)
This is Heather's 6th studio album, and it's a great effort. It looks into motherhood and the bloodlines of the world. It's a very special album.
Starting with "Welcome", an american bonus track off "South", the album gives us a strong into - but this song does seem a little out of place on this album. It's a very strong first single, though. Track 2 is the phenominal "I miss my sky". And...Wow. It's one of her best written songs ever. And it's so beautifully crafted and peformed. Definatly the highlight of the album.
"Motherland", track 3, is the first song about motherhood. It's a strong song, sung beautifully with a really catchy guitar riff. I really adore this song.The title track "Redbird" reminds me of her last album, Storm's, Aquamarine - in the sense that it seems to be more of a sound landscape rather than, say, a ballard. It's a good song that aims to make you imagine blood. Next is one of my favourite tracks, "Done drifiting", the choir works so well with Heather and creates a really beautiful songs.
"Overturned" has the sort of strong guitar riff that reminds me of "Maybe an angel" as it's so strong and memorable. I love this song. It's one of my favourites. It sticks itself really far into your mind. "Mesmerized" is a gorgeous song that really opens out Heather's beautiful voice.
"Singing you through" is the accoustic moment of the album, drawing back memories of her last album Storm. It's a beautiful song about being there for someone. It's one of my favourites. And as you can see, I have a lot of favourites on this album!
"A way to live" also features a choir, but they don't work as well with Heather's voice as they did on "Done drifting". A great song never the less, about finding a way to live in this world. "Wicked game" the Chris Issac cover sticks closely to the original version but Heather still manages to give it her own little touch. And it works.
"This body" is probably the weakest track on the album, but I can still go around singing it because it's really good at sticking in your mind. "The sun will always Rise", the closer, is a lulluby to Nova's son. And whilst it seems like a cheesy concept and a cheesy song name, it works and is a really good song. A strong closer that really stays with you.
Overall I'd give this album 10 out of 10. It's not my favourite album, but it's still really good and I really enjoy it when I play -every- song. Which certainly makes a point of saying it's one of her most constant albums. And "I miss my sky" is wow, one of her best songs ever.

Whip Smart
Whip Smart
Offered by SourceMediaUK
Price: 8.35

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a supernova., 21 July 2005
This review is from: Whip Smart (Audio CD)
From all the Liz albums I have, I have always had the most love for this album. Her voice is great, raw and most importantly real - I believe anything she sings to me. She's so natural.
The best thing about this album is its flow. It works like a book, flicking through the chapters. Starting with the beautiful and very phair-like "Chopsticks", the audience is imediatly thrown into Liz's world. And just after she slips in the last lines "...'cause secretly I'm timid." The begining roar of the rocking Supernova erupts. This is a very sentimental song, without being too precious and sickly sweet. It's great. "Support system" is a jerky and classic tune with enough bite to eat of your arm. It's fantastic where she overlaps vocals. "X-ray man" jingles on after. A vivid song with a fantastic set of lyrics.
"Shane", for me, is the Highlight. Soft and delicate till it builds it's strength, the lyrical beauty rolls into your mind as if you were in the car driving with the 2 characters. "Nashville" is another highlight. An amazing and intresting ballard where her voice is at its (possibly) career best. "Go west" is very true and a great song to have in the car. "Cinco de mayo" is another rock song which purs in your ears and is generally great.
"Dog's of L.A." is a very intresting and visual song. You can imagine watching the adventures of these characters in the park through a series of moving photos. "Whip-smart" tries a little too much to be memorable, but is great anyway. "Jealousy" is one of my favourite songs. With a spikey guitar riff and rigid honest lyrics, the song makes a huge impression. "Crater lake" is another beauty and has my favourite lyrics on the album. Truthful and amazing.
"Alice springs" is a soft and beautiful song and has that Exile-in-guyville feel of being very short. The closer "May Queen" is amazing. Begining fairly normally before rocketing into a blasting chorus. A great way to end this amazing album.
Overall, I'd give this album 10 out of 10. At 45 minutes, it is just the right length to make a great impression and make you want to hear it again. Shame it was killed in all the glory of her debut, 'cause it really is great.

Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 5.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Heather's best., 6 July 2005
This review is from: Oyster (Audio CD)
This album has stood the test of time, truely. 11 years later, and this album can still turn someones head. More band-driven than her other albums, this one is -so far- her best.
Opening with lead single "Walk this world." Heather imediatly rocks. She introduces her powerful voice and her wonderful song writing ability. A strong opener and a well-recieved single. Many people know this song, just not who poor Heather is. (Though this album had sold over 700,000 copies by 1998.)
Next up is "Heal", probably my least favourite track on the album, a glittering song about regaining energy to be able to heal ourselves. "Island" the third track from the album, is a highlight. A tragic tale of Domestic violence, which starts with a soft and loud wail from Heather and then starts slow, till after another set of beautiful wails, when the song explodes with sound. The song seems to follow the flow of an arguement...slow intro, till an explosion of violence..to the quiet intesity of the aftermath.
"Throwing fire at the sun" is infectious. With a clever tribal beat, the song climbs into your skull and dances away. Her vocals shimmer and on the bridge sound almost unhumanly. The lyrics are honest and memorable. "Maybe an angel" the second single, is such a self-assured rocker which shimmers with Heather's powerful voice. I love the lyrics to this one. "Sugar" is the next track. A song that begins slow, till it erupts a fast and loud chorus. Then when it calms down, the song slows then breaks out once more with the rocky chorus. The lyrics are really visual and intresting.
The next track "Truth and bone" has some of the best lyrics of the album. The song is peformed stunningly well, especially the sweet and confident bridge. A highlight. The same with "Blue black" which seems to be about a victim of rape, but still has her "virgin heart." This is another album highlight.
"Walking higher" is a sad and mournful song about losing someone to death. The singing is beautiful, as well as the stream of cello running through it. The lyrics are mournful but at the same time, say the victim will never be forgotten.."The bones they buried will feed the trees, but every word you ever spoke is still in me."
"Light years" is a self confessed weird song. Claiming it is the "Strangest song I ever heard." The song is very strong vocally and its ending is awesome as Heather's voice completely lets go and erupts in a gathering of wails and harmonies. Beautiful.
"Verona" is one of my favourite tracks. Layered with wonderful lyrics and Heather's switching between spoken word and singing. This is one of the best tracks, easily. Especially lyrically - as it creates vivid dreamy imagery and I feel it has subliminal messages of suicide and aching.
"Doubled up" is a soft and fitting ending. A tale of love from the ever romantic Heather.
Overall, I'd give this album 10 out of 10. The lyrics are very visual, honest and raw. Heather's voice is beautiful and probably the strongest singing voice I've ever heard. She's probably, along with Tori Amos, one of the most talented singer songwriters ever. Keep it up!

Blow
Blow

5.0 out of 5 stars The early years., 6 July 2005
This review is from: Blow (Audio CD)
As many people know, Heather is an excellent live peformer and this, Heather's first live album, shows people that. Featuring songs from Glow stars and the (then) forthcoming Oyster, Heather delivers these songs with a huge edge. Really letting go and giving us a rockier sound.
Starting with "Light years", possibly the weakest track of Oyster, Heather shows the full potential of this song and makes you stand to attention. It rocks. Definatly a highlight.
This version of "Sugar" is much weaker than the live versions on her other live albums, yet it still rocks. The chorus seems a little packed in though, and that stops it really letting go.
"Maybe an angel", too, is weaker than other live versions of the song and the studio version - but this offers us a glimpse of it's original shell, with it's original lyrics. (The lyrics were shortened in the studio version.)
"Blessed" a track only found on this album, is confident and pretty. And was probably cut from Oyster, not Glow stars. "Mother tongue" livens up the album by really letting go with a loud rockier version and yet it still sounds as angry and pain-filled as the original.
"Talking to strangers" sounds a lot like the original and this isn't a bad thing, as it's a great song. "Shaking the doll" gets louder and angrier. Wheras the original was still coming from someone who sounded vunerable, this version makes it the rage of a strong female character. The lyrics are also reworked, and have some better lines added, but I don't like the removal of the line "I'm shaking the doll." from the chorus.
"Frontier." sounds etheral and mystic and dark. And it's wonderful. An album highlight. "Doubled up" is weaker than the Oyster version, but still offers us a look at it's original shell.
Overall, I'd give this album 10 out of 10. It's probably only something fans will want. But I am a fan so I love it! And it also gives us a view of the early sounds of Oyster. My favourite Heather album. The songs from Glow stars are more confident, as they're more well known. But this is another little treasure in Heather's back catalogue.

Live from the Milky Way
Live from the Milky Way
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The brightest star in the milky way., 6 July 2005
This review is from: Live from the Milky Way (Audio CD)
I always wondered how many of Heather's songs would sound live, especially the ones with beautiful and rich layers of music. And this live album answers some of my questions.
Less rocky than her last live album "Blow" and less full on than her next live album "Wonderlust", from the milky way gives us Heather as a confident artist, with a wonderful band who deliver the albums songs in fine style.
The opener "Maybe an angel" seems like an odd choice to begin with, as the studio version is a very full song. But this version rocks just as well! Somehow being different enough to sound familiar. "Throwing fire at the sun" was one of my favourite songs from Oyster, and here it sounds more raw and powerful. With it's forcefull beat and strong vocals, it's excellent and definatly one of the highlights.
"Talking to strangers" the only song here from Glowstars, sounds a lot like the original (which isn't a bad thing as it's great.) "Sugar" manages to sound different again (every live recording of this song sounds uniquely different.) and it still rocks! It's always a highlight on her live albums.
"Walking higher" sounds pretty much identical to the Oyster version and is still great. "Verona" is fantastic. I always wondered how this would sound live and it's just amazing. Really strong and rocking.
Overall, I'd give this album 10 out of 10. I can't imagine too many people wanting this unless they were Heather Nova fans, but this wonderful album presents raw, forcefull and awesome versions of some of her best songs. She recently said that she makes live albums to prove she's real - that her and the band play with emotion and style and that she can sing. And believe me, She can! Heather Nova, still rocking, still awesome. The brightest star in the Milky way.

South
South
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Heather goes South., 6 July 2005
This review is from: South (Audio CD)
This is a hard album to review. It's wonderful and has some really great songs but because of an interfering record company, Heather has been forced to make a more comerical album in order to get a hit. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a change of pace and Heather does deserve more success, but beneath the layer of sound and in some of the last songs...you can really feel Heather's original vision of the album burning away.
The album opens with "If I saw you in a movie." a sweet little song about how, as people, we connect to the characters in movies and love them and their story, but sometimes the true heros are the ones next to us and if we saw them in a movie "doing all the things you do for me" then "I would fall in love with you.". As always, her sweet and powerful voice is a real winner. Next up is "Talk to me" (probably my least favourite on the album.) Still, her vocals are delicious. Track 3, lead single "Virus of the mind" shows us a breezy and cool Heather talking about the pressures of being put into specific boxes (Ironic considering the sound of the song is being managed by the record company.)
"Like lovers do." reminds me of old Heather Nova in a new Heather Nova style. It's sweet and sounds lovely, but it wastes Bryan Adams voice, as he can hardly be heard and her voice is far too powerful for any backing singers. The theme behind "Waste the day" also reminds me of older Heather Nova but the way it's written is much simpler and the sound of the song can feel akward. "Heaven sent" is a highlight of the album. True, it sounds poppy, but on the chorus her vocals soar and I quite like the lyrics.
"It's only love" is nice, and could probably have fitted on her last album, Siren, without people noticing. "I'm no angel" isn't a winner with me, it's catchy and better than anything you'd find in the charts today...but it just isn't Heather Nova, and it seems like a pretty simple song to have had a co-writer. "Help me be good to you." and "When somebody turns you on" both benefit from her voice and they are both nice gems.
The cover of "Gloomy sunday" is pretty simple and doesn't do a lot of me. The last 2 songs are pure Heather Nova. I love them. "Tested" (Though I prefered the band version of the No angel single) and "Just been born" (the album highlight) make use of her voice and have very Heather Nova-style lyrics. These 2 songs could have fitted on any one of her past albums and found a nice home there.
Overall, I'd give this album an 8 out of 10. If you look at it as a new artist then it's a fantastic album. If you look at it from the point of view of it being a Heather Nova album, then it dissapoints. Aside from a handful of tracks, too much pressure from V2 destroyed the intergrity and focus of the album. The album doesn't flow as well as her past releases, but the songs still have Heather's voice, which always sounds amazing. South could have been great had Heather had full control. Fortunatly, she left her record company 'cause of this. And got back to her own vision with her next album "Storm." I'd recommend any of her other albums above this one.

The Beekeeper
The Beekeeper
Price: 6.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper made me a Tori fan., 8 May 2005
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
Before this album, I hadn't really heard of Tori Amos (Her name was a house name, but I didn't really know any of her songs except "Silent all these years" and "Cornflake girl".) Amazon had reccomended her to me several times, because I had bought all of Heather Nova's cds. but finally, after a reccomendation from someone on the Liz Phair forum, I decided to buy this album.
I am so glad I did. I'm just upset that I haven't been with Tori for years. This album, in my opinion, is awesome. Some may find it a dissapointment but I haven't listened to much of her past work to know (Which is better for me, because if this is true, the Tori experience will get better and better.).
There is an imediancy in this album which tells you you'll love it. And I do. The best track is The beekeeper. Followed by Parasol, The power of orange knickers, Sweet the sting, Mother revolution, Toast and sleeps with Butterflies. (They are in no order.)
The entire album is extremely beautiful and I'm glad I bought it. I'm not going to put it down anytime soon.

Taking Lives (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Taking Lives (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 4.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, just not my favourite movie., 2 Oct 2004
I really loved this film, not a favourite, but it features all the elements to be one - based on a book (Which I have and is also reccomended, on a gripping, intrequeing idea, with a great cast, witty characters, graphic moments, and scenes aching with suspense, this film is REALLY good. But it made me and my friends jump a few times (Warning)

Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 5.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Sep 2004
This review is from: Oyster (Audio CD)
Heather's first studio album (As Glowstars was in her living room), and it is amazing!!! I love Throwing Fire at the sun, Blue black, walk this world, maybe an angel, Verona and, heck! I love them all!!!! - Buy it today!!! It's AWESOME. Then buy glowstars, storm, south, siren, Wonderlust, Blow and live in the milky way!!!! Awesome!!!

So Called Chaos
So Called Chaos
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Piece of the Alanis Jigsaw., 10 Sep 2004
This review is from: So Called Chaos (Audio CD)
Like all of Alanis' albums, this is amazing - she marvels us each time, always producing something fresh and clever. I think it's stupid to compare this album to one of her others, as each is like a piece of a jigsaw which makes her, and thats why each is different. Each album wonderfully connects, no two albums are the same, though they are all branded with a little of the lasts infulence. This is amazing. If your an Alanis fan, and didn't just follow the crowd to buy "Jagged little pill", and you really apreciate Alanis, you will see this is part of her - whats happening to her now, and obviously you wouldn't want to change her. I know I don't.

Page: 1 | 2