Profile for Musical > Reviews

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
This is great for the car or just chilling out. My only criticism is the chugging arrangement of I put a spell on you. The guitar tones just leach into the body and soul - what a buzz.

The Dark Side Of The Moon [Discovery Edition]
The Dark Side Of The Moon [Discovery Edition]
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as inventive as Atom Heart Mother, 31 Jan. 2014
It's not as inventive as Atom Heart Mother which grows on one but there are some good songs. If you're a Floyd fan this won't matter.

The Ascent of Humanity: Civilization and the Human Sense of Self
The Ascent of Humanity: Civilization and the Human Sense of Self
by Charles Eisenstein

5.0 out of 5 stars We are one with nature, 28 May 2013
My title sums up the argument of this book. Eisenstein suggests the problem of "human nature" is due to the philosophies and mythologies that we have subscribed to and still subscribe to that cause separation, of us from nature. He especially analyses technology, economics and money. I believe his logic but am left with one nagging doubt - Is this oneness enough to assuage the age old existential fear of death? It might be, but the problem is experiencing enough glimpses of the oneness to keep us going in the belief that separation is not forever. We are unlikely to see this oneness in our lifetimes and as Eisenstein says things will get worse before they get better. I like his practical solutions to money but am unsure what a technology not based on fire (electricity) would look like. But then he is not an engineer.

I underlined more sentences that I thought were gems than any other book. Whilst not directly a book about mythology it steers us towards a oneness with Gaia and gives hope that one day the separation will end. We just have to keep that "faith"

Love Tattoo
Love Tattoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Music, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Love Tattoo (Audio CD)
What a great CD. Imelda has a lovely voice able to sing smooth jazzy blues and then amp up and rock out. And what a great band. The drumming is some of the best recorded drums I have heard. The music is essentially quite simple in structure but very catchy. There are some lovely slow tunes as well as the syncopated rockabilly rock and roll numbers which swing. If you don't feel better after listening to this she is not the one for you.

Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences
Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences
by Cordelia Fine

5.0 out of 5 stars People believe what they want to believe against the evidence, 27 Oct. 2010
I haven't quite finished this book but the author's main thesis is neuroscientists and of course many other scientists read into the facts a prejudged opinion, in other words, they try and make the facts fit their theories, not the other way around. So there is no brain difference between men and women and what little differences there are are cultural expectations. After all, if you give up at an early age trying to do, say something visual when you are more verbal, or vice versa, you might believe that this is a fixed reality, whereas the brain is plastic and can learn at any age. This is good news for men who have gotten a bad press post feminism. Also Cordelia suggests the brain lies to you and this is patently true, or rather it is true you have multiple personalities and react differently in each situation. I think ultimately the truth is not just out there but in here (in us), so the social Freudian lies supposedly there to stop us destroying ourselves are not helpful. We must face the truth about us and our world and the relationship between the sexes. And, as we are all brothers and sisters, the fears that we have have no basis. We are all one.

There are plenty of emotional men who can instantly express their feelings but are they going to be punished by male employers? I'd like to think not. Let's usher in a new age where we talk the same language and an agressive business man or woman suggests a negative, and the cooperative man and woman become the facilitators of the healing of the sexes and the earth, because the present leaders and managers have largely made a mess.

Tim Burstall

East Devon (British Railways Past & Present)
East Devon (British Railways Past & Present)
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Beeching uncovered, 25 Sept. 2010
The genius of this book is the before and after pictures of the Southern Railway branches around East Devon. For those who remember travelling along these branchlines, the book warms the fond memories and corrects the odd error. For example, the water tower at Axminster in relation to the footbridge was the opposite relationship to my recollection.

For lovers of steam who didn't experience these journeys first hand, the book is also fascinating. Enjoy!

Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet, Satin Black (Matt Black Finish), 26 cm
Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet, Satin Black (Matt Black Finish), 26 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars The problem of Oil, 29 April 2010
The main benefit of the Le Creuset Pan is the ease of frying at low heats without burning provided you have enough liquid or oil. Therein lies the problem. I bought the pan because I thought food would not stick, like it does on my stainless steel frying pan but alas it isn't much better and requires wooden utensils. As I am following a diet requiring minimal cooking oil I have bought a conventional non-stick pan. Also, as the pan is vitreous enamel lined there is no uptake of iron in the food cooked. Another problem for large hands is the short handle which even at low heats can get too warm to be comfortable. Just shows there is no one easy solution.