Profile for Lichfield4 > Reviews

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Creepy and brilliant!, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
Great gift - beautiful cover, shortish book, my teenage daughter who reads nothing, read this after trying a chapter at my insistence.
Our heroine has memory problems but starts writing a journal, then reads it the next day... it's the only truth she has...
This is a real page -turner, very compelling, intelligent and interesting.

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars? Great writing but unsatisfactory book, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
Ok, so we know how it ends..I enjoyed three-quarters of this, then Anne's death was strangely uninvolving and I found the end of the book just a kind of stop, not very satisfactory.
Brilliant portrait of Anne and of Henry, yet again brings the Court to life..
Hilary Mantel is a great writer but seemed to run out of steam on this one.
I feel quite conscience-stricken giving such a low score - I've changed it back to 4 stars! -
but I can't wholeheartedly recommend this one.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read this year (and I've read a lot), 22 Nov 2012
An unlikely favourite! He just walks! This is a compelling, unsentimental story, beautifully written.
Truly a "domestic drama": the way she writes about his wife is true to life and brilliant.
I'll look for more of her books.

My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You
by Louisa Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Not slushy, not just another WW1 novel: great read., 22 Nov 2012
So much better than the cover implied! The title is from the standard govt postcard that was sent by soldiers if they were wounded and in hospital.
Yes it's a love story but it's better than that. Thought-provoking, informative, and evocative, well worth reading.

The Drop
The Drop
by Michael Connelly

3.0 out of 5 stars A slight drop in form, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Drop (Hardcover)
I'm a Michael Connelly fan who buys his books as soon as they come out. This was OK, just not as moving or compelling as his usual stuff, about Bosch or Haller. The "drop" is an acronym for a way of postponing retirement; Bosch has to apply to have his term as a cop extended, and so he needs to be on his best behaviour. Then he's asked to investigate the death of a powerful man's son - and that man can't stand him. The feeling is mutual, but he relies on Bosch to find out what happened to his son: did he fall or was he pushed?

This isn't a novel to start people onto the Bosch track: it's dark, depressing in parts and I don't know whether you'd have much sympathy for Bosch if you had no prior knowledge! As ever, it's well written, with several subplots, but if you're feeling a bit despairing about the human condition this will not brighten your day. Injustice seems to be ingrained, and people are fighting a losing battle against bureaucracy, personal ambition and exploitation.

Fly London Women's Yaz Leather Dark Brown Platforms Heels P500025022 6 UK
Fly London Women's Yaz Leather Dark Brown Platforms Heels P500025022 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly Shoes, Yaz style, 27 Oct 2011
These shoes are brilliant: fairly stylish, ideal for work, very comfortable, you can walk miles in them and yet they still qualify as high heels. I have them in red, black, khaki and brown and will get more. So many colours! Being slip-ons, sometimes you need to try them on; one pair of 6s (in John Lewis) was too big for me and slipped off my heel, but the second pair were fine. They don't go big and baggy. They are fairly true to size, although I'm 5.5 to 6. I'm confident enough to buy them over the internet now, as we have no local supplier. Price pretty consistent around £80ish wherever.