Profile for S. Lockett > Reviews

Content by S. Lockett

S. Lockett "sarah31697" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Labyrinth
Labyrinth
by Kate Mosse

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written da vinci code!, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Labyrinth (Paperback)
I am so pleased I read this book and I am quite disappointed by all the bad reviews on here. I did find the use of the d'orc language quite hard going as I didnt see the point to alot of it when it would have been fine in english. I had to keep looking words up and the small dictionary in the back hardly covered any of the words used and some of them in that werent used at all!
But other than those small problems, I loved this story. The way KM set the scene in Carcassonne and described how the cite and Chateau looked in the medieval times and in modern times was beautiful and has made me want to visit this amazing place. I found Alias alot more engaging than Alice and wanted to read more of her story than the modern Alice. But both stories were cleverly wovern together and I enjoyed the twists and turns the story took. I would recomend this book to anyone that enjoys a book to get lost in, I found myself wishing I lived in medieval france quite often even though there was an awful war going on!
It does have its mistakes and a few characters got mixed up in places but if you ignore those things, its well worth a read.

Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series)
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series)
by Keri Arthur

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start to the series., 23 April 2010
I picked this book after being recommended by a friend, and I really enjoyed it.
I have never read a paranormal story with a hybrid as the main character and I love the idea, best of both worlds I say!!
Riley is a great character, she is witty, attractive, clever and very confident but thats what you get being half vampire half werewolf. The other characters are really well written, especially Quinn, I can see he might end up on my fav vampire list! It is not set in the world we live in either very much like the Anita Blake series, where everyone knows that vampire, shifters and other paranormal creatures exsist. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will stay in your head and heart for a long time, 11 May 2009
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I put off reading this book after being given it by a friend who told me I must read it. I do wish I had read it sooner, it has completley changed my view of Afghanistan. I have always seen it as a war torn country, but this gives you a insight to what it must have been like before the Taliban and the Russian invasion. It is a tale of two boys and how there friendship seems un breakable until something awful happens one day in Kabul and it tears them both apart for completley different reasons. I cried a few times during reading this but also laughed. It is a very sad story but with a good ending and will stay in your thoughts and heart for a long time afterwards. I would recomend this book to anyone of any age, its def up there with my all time fav reads.

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not live upto the synopsis on book, 30 April 2009
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
I brought this book after reading the back of the book that said 'We cant tell you what this story is about, read to see the magic unfold' Well firstly, why couldnt they tell about it, I didnt think it was magic at all. It took me ages to even get into the style of writing and trying to keep up with the constant time line jumping got on my nerves! It has a good plot outline all in all which is why I gave it 2 stars, I have been to Africa many times and have seen first hand what the wars have done to the people who live there, but why they couldnt just say this is a story of an african girl who runs away from the violence in her country to get into england. I wont be recommending it to my friends at all.

A Certain Slant of Light
A Certain Slant of Light
by Laura Whitcomb

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, 20 April 2009
I loved this book right from the first page. I have not read anything really about ghosts before, but this was so beautiful. I could not put the book down and was completley drawn to the characters. I was thinking about them for days after I had finished reading and what it would be like if they did exist like in this book. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good love story.

Maneater
Maneater
by Thomas Emson

5.0 out of 5 stars An author to watch out for!, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Maneater (Paperback)
Laura is a werewolf out for revenge but doesnt expect all the revelations that she is faced with along the way.

I loved this book, I am into anything with Vampires and Shapshifters and this did not disappoint! at first I struggled with all the different characters being introduced with each new chapter. But after getting into Mr Emson's style of writing I loved it and couldnt put it down.

The story is gory in parts as you would expect being about a werewolf but also very funny and has a slight insight of romance between Laura and Thorn. I cant wait to read the next book in this series even though I have seen its about vampires not werewolves. This would make a great tv series or film.

Lover Revealed: Number 4 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Revealed: Number 4 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
by J. R. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars My Fav in series so far, 11 Nov 2008
I loved this book, I couldnt wait to read more of Butch and V. The slow build up between the two of them has been worth the wait. Even though Butch is in love with Marissa and that's the main story, I loved the relationship between him and V so much. It wasnt weird or wrong in anyway and beautifully written, I so felt for V and why he was jealous at first. I have loved this whole series and I cant wait for the next one, but this is my favourite so far. I love the fact that Ms Ward can interweave the other storylines within the main plot and keep you interested in every aspect. I am dying to read John Matthews story but think might have to wait a while for that. This whole series is amazing, would def recomend.

The Vampire Lestat (Second Volume of the Vampire Chronicles)
The Vampire Lestat (Second Volume of the Vampire Chronicles)
by Anne Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, better than IWTV, 11 Nov 2008
This book was brilliant, in my review for IWTV I said that was the best book I had ever read, but this was better.
The first part of the story is all about Lestat's journey and how he became what he is, very much Louis's story in IWTV but was written so much better than Louis's. I love how Ms Rice writes this character and I found Lestat amazing to read about, i just couldnt put the book down. I have also read Queen of the Damned and that is also a wonderful book, but for me of the 3 books in the vampire chronicles, this one stands out the most. I loved finding out why Lestat was the way he was in IWTV and you really understand why after reading this.
The films that were made are brilliant but are nothing compared to the books, these are def something that will stand out in my book collection and I will read over and over again, as I am sure I will pick up bits I missed the first time around.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1: 1/4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Gripping Story, 11 Nov 2008
I have just finished this book, it only took me 3 days to read it. I was reluctant to buy this book from the reviews I read on here, as it seemed to be aimed at a younger audience. I am 28 but love all things about vampires, so I thought what the heck I will give the first book a go. I am really pleased I did, even though it is aimed at a younger age it is really enjoyable (I think we are all young at heart anyway).

I loved Edward as soon as he was introduced and even though Bella can be a bit annoying I think I probably was as well at 18. I love how Stephenie writes all the characters and sets each scene. The build up to Bella and Edwards love story is very well written, just as you would imagine you would feel if you were a teenager.

I have read books by the likes of JR Ward, Lauren K Hamilton, Anne Rice, Christine Feehan and Lara Adrian and I still really enjoyed this book even though it was really different to anything I have read before.

I would def recomend to anyone of any age that likes vampires or just a nice love story. I have ordered the others in the series and hope they are just as good. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is I think it could of had a bit more passion, but I am hoping there will be more of that in the other books.

Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Rising
by Paul Henke

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced Action, 23 Oct 2008
This review is from: Phoenix Rising (Paperback)
I brought this book after meeting the author at a signing. I have not read many crime thriller books (other than Kathy Reichs but she is amazing) But I actually really enjoyed the book, it is fast paced and very detailed with all the criminal side of plot line, that I actually started to wonder 'does all this really go on'
It was nice to enjoy a book of an author I had met and would def buy more by him.

Page: 1 | 2