Profile for Davey B > Reviews

Content by Davey B

Davey B

Xploder Special Edition for Minecraft (PS3/PC DVD)
Xploder Special Edition for Minecraft (PS3/PC DVD)
Offered by GamePlace.co

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool booster system for Minecraft, 5 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my nephew for Christmas - and he loves it.
Basically does what it says, gives you a whole bunch of really great maps to play, and you can power up your tools and items to the highest level instantly.

Even better - it also has a ton of cheats and stuff for practically every PS3 game out there - so you can max out your money and lives and stuff in other games.

Very quick and easy to set up (make sure you have a spare USB stick to hand) and loads of fun going though Minecraft and older games to see what cool stuff you can do.

MotoGP 14 (PS4)
MotoGP 14 (PS4)
Offered by SupaStock

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - PS4 gets a great racing game!, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: MotoGP 14 (PS4) (Video Game)
I was a big fan of MXGP from the same developer earlier this year, so thought I'd give this one a go.

Really glad I pocked it up. It looks fantastic - a really great representation of the sport. In replay mode it's almost exactly like watching the BT Sport coverage.

Where the game really shines is in the handling and physics - MotoGP goes for a more simulation approach, and you can tweak the setting plenty so you have the right balance between challenge and ease of play.

There's also loads of content in here - and the career mode is amazing, letting you rise though the ranks to MotoGP. It's a great difficulty curve (currently in Moto 2 challenging for GP!) and I can see myself putting in loads of hours into this.
Even better is that you can't just go into the game and win straight away, you have to really earn your positions.

If you're a bit of bike fan yourself, like me I was really happy to see a mode which lets you replay last years awesome MotoGP season, and there's even the chance to ride as some of the riders and bikes form the 90's and early 2000' - so you can play as Rossi in LeMans back in 2001 for example - or Doohan!

Thoroughly recommended if you're a fan of MotoGP, and even if you;re not it's a cracking racing game in its own right.

MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame (Xbox 360)
MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame (Xbox 360)
Offered by SupaStock

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Motocross game I've ever played, 1 April 2014
I love motocross - but I've yet to find a game that really does this sport justice. The MX vs ATV games have been okay - but I've been hoping for a more realistic game for what seems like forever.

I have to say MXGP has really delivered for me. The depth in handling and physics in theis game is insane - for one, you really feel like your riding a bike though dirt, and the track drformation - where the track gets churned up every lap - really makes a difference.

It's also pretty tough to play, which means you don't just win every race like you did in MUD - so it feels like a real challenge, and I always feel like I'm learnign and improving my tachnique all the tie.

You see, MXGP has got a two-stick handling - you can move the bike and your rider weight separately, so you there's really room to play around with your racing style, and learn how to best take corners and jumps.

It actually feels much more intense than any other racer I've played in ages.

Visually it looks pretty good - okay so it's not Forza 5 - but it looks great - and it really makes a difference having all the proper bikes and tracks as well as all the riders and sponsors and stuff you'd see in the actual MXGP.

Probably the biggest bonus for me is the fact this game has a proper career mode, where you can start off as a wild card and then you have to work your way up the ranks, signing deals with better teams. I've put in loads of hours into this now, and I still feel like I've got a long way to go - so for once I have an MX game that I can play for some time on my own, rather than only brining out when my MX mates are over.

So overall, I think this is the best MXGP game that's ever been made - especially in that it feels like the devs have really tried to get the look and feel of the sport right.

I hope this will be the first in a long line of MXGP games now - hopefully on Xbox One next time!

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS)
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by games-n-console-land

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent return to form for Harvest Moon, 23 Sept. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
So glad this game has fnally come out.

I'm a fan of the series, but I've been disappointed that the 3DS hasn't had it's own proper Harvest Moon game.

A New Beginning puts that right - this is huge improvement over the last game (which was a just a port of the DS game) - all in full 3D, with great visuals and detail on the environment, characters and animals.

The best thing is that the game has been really expanded. The game world is much bigger, and much more customisable - yu can totally change the town and yur farm however you want just by picking up buildings and dropping them to move everything around.

You can also change your appearance, and the more your farm grows the more people move into the town, to make it a much more involving and long-lasting experience than the previous Harvest Moon games.

I think I prefer this game to Animal Crossing as there's more of a story to it, and it feels like you can play for longer periods.
So far, I think this is my favourite 3DS game of this year.

Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Offered by EUROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fighter I've played in years, 17 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Persona 4 Arena (PS3) (Video Game)
I've not played the Persona games before - but this is one of the best fighters I've ever played.

SO much faster that Street Fighter - it looks absolutely amazing - and it feels much easier to get combos going - even if you don't use the games auto combo system.

There's also a really big story in there too - I;m about 20 hours in so far, so it's massive for a fighting game. Like I said I never played persona 4 - but I found I still really enjoyed this.

Definitely the best fighter out there at the moment, even better than Injustice in my opinion.

Reality 36 (Angry Robot)
Reality 36 (Angry Robot)
by Guy Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting new British Sci-Fi author, 3 July 2012
At it's heart it an excellent detective novel - but surrounding that structure is a detailed and believable near-future world full of interesting ideas.

Haley manages to strike the right balance between introducing interesting tech, concepts, sociological and political elements without ever bogging down the reader in techno babble. I hate it when concepts are introduced and you have to spend the next two pages having them explained to you. Haley expertly avoids this. Respect to him for not letting it get in the way of a rollicking good yarn - no mean feat when so many Sci-Fi authors struggle with getting this right.

Perhaps the best element here however is his central characters, Richards and Otto. Both extremely likeable, flawed, amusing and more importantly, interesting. You'll find yourselves genuinely caring for them and it's perhaps for this reason I found Reality 36 so compelling.

It's without a doubt a satisfyingly readable and often very amusing debut novel. I enjoy Haley's humour - sometimes blunt, but more often than not very dry, which for me is pitch perfect.

So a new British Sci-Fi author with plenty of promise then. Something to be celebrated for sure.

Oh and one more thing do yourself a favour - buy both this and Omega Point at the same time - you don't want to be left waiting when your reach the books climax!

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS Vita)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS Vita)
Offered by 666 Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Vita's Best Fighter, 27 Feb. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Wow - just WOW. BlazBlue looks absolutely AMAZING on Vita!

I'd heard so much about this series but never actually played it until now - I thought I'd take the plunge with my shiny new Vita!

What can I say? Easily the best fighter I've played in a long time.

Firstly, this game has a massive story mode. With a separate story for every character. It's also got the original story in there too, so I could catch up on the whole saga in one go. It's really well written and really funny in places - I can't think of a fighter that's ever had a story this good.

As for the fighting itself - I didn't realise just how different it is from your standard fighters like Street Fighter. Every character plays totally differently from the others - so there's a crazy amount of choice in terms of how everyone plays.

All the characters have these things called drives - one buton that activates their special abilities, like controlling the wind, magnetising your opponent, freezing them in ice, stealing their health - it's a really good system. And with only four buttons in total, it waorks really well on the Vita.

The d-pad on the Vita really helps too - for once, I can play a handheld fighter really easily without wishing I was playing on an arcade stick.

This version of BlazBlue also has an insane amount of single player modes and probably one of the best tutorials I've ever seen. This thing really helps you understand how to play, and the dialogue in the tutorial was really good. After an afternoon playing tutorial and challenge mode, I was definitely a much better player - so it's well worth doing.

In terms of visuals, it's probably the best looking fighting game I've ever seen. It's in 2d, but it's amazingly well animated and the characters are beautifully drawn. There are a ton of effects in the fighting too, and some of the more flamboyant moves are just incredible.

Overall, I'd say it's the Vita game I've spent the most time on. I haven't even played much online yet because there's so much single player stuff, but what I have played is very impressive - with ranked, player and team battles and I haven't come accross a bad match in terms of slow connection or anything like that. You can even spectate matches in groups, which is a really cool addition.

If you've never played BlazBlue before, or like me, heard that it's great but have been too scared to try, I'd say Extend is a really good place to start and you won't be disappointed!

Chasing the Dead
Chasing the Dead
by Tim Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Chasing the Dead (Paperback)
Easily the best thriller I've read in quite some time, it's superbly written and rockets along at a magnificent pace - with a cracking twist at the end that I never saw coming. Genuinely unnerving and very creepy, if this is the author's debut novel than I'm very much looking forward to what he has to offer in future. Highly recommended.