Profile for osirisvsseth > Reviews

osirisvsseth (England)

Fortress
Fortress

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
It's not often I write a review, but usually I only do it if something is really bad or disappointing or it's really good. Fortunately, AB fans, I've only got praise for this album, Alter Bridge's fourth offering. And it doesn't disappoint, not one little bit. It's an absolutely amazing and perfectly written and produced piece of musical genius, from a band who can do no wrong and simply go from strength to strength. I've thoroughly enjoyed everything that Alter Bridge has made so far, but what astonishes me is that they just get better and better. One Day Remains was a great album, Blackbird was an amazing album, ABIII took the band to new heights with their songwriting, and Fortress, in my opinion, is actually their best yet. Every track on the album offers something different and all four band members are really showing the rock and music world what they are made of - tough musical talent. They all work for the band, not themselves, and it shows. This is the best album of the year and the best AB have offered - and that's no easy feat considering the quality of their previous three albums. Perfectly executed and brilliantly balanced between modern and classic rock, metal and prog-rock, I'm impressed every day I listen to Fortress. I'm writing this review on the day I'm seeing Alter Bridge live at Wembley Arena - can't wait!

Hegemony Gold - Wars of Ancient Greece (PC DVD)
Hegemony Gold - Wars of Ancient Greece (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow paced - and I feel misled by reviews, 14 April 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for a few reasons: 1) it was rated quite highly with positive comments on the box and another commenter on Amazon, 2) I'm quite into Greek history at the moment, and 3) it was a good price (I paid about £7 for it).

However, I was expecting this game to be pretty simple and fun, but it really isn't unfortunately. For people who enjoy slow RTS games then this should fit the bill, but I don't. I'm trying to enjoy it, but I just can't. The keyboard controls are fine but the mouse is horrible and you can't tweak how quickly you move the cursor around the screen or anything like that, which is pretty poor, particularly for an RTS game. This makes it slow, but generally the pace in which the game plays is even worse. Just getting troops around the field of battle or moving them around the map to explore takes too long and I don't have the patience for it. For those of you who have tons of free time and a lot of patience then it's worth giving this game a go, but for those of us who prefer something a bit faster paced, this won't appeal.

The graphics are average at best and sometimes the camera can feel a bit awkward, even though I like the ability to use ALT and swing the camera around easily. I also find the game very distracting (there are so many instructions, notifications and objectives on the screen at one time) and confusing at times. I thought it was going to be simple but I'm thrown into another historical RTS where there is just too much boring stuff to manage, like farming and connecting up roads to things, which is actually more of a chore than it sounds. Overall, I found this game to be not what I was expecting. I bought it based on positive reviews and I feel misled, which is why I decided to leave this review.

It is the type of game which would definitely appeal to some people, but unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Sempiternal
Sempiternal
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Sempiternal (Audio CD)
I buy a lot of music and much of it is rock/alternative/metal etc etc. And of all my collection, this is one of the best albums I've got. It redefines the genre which I love and every track on 'Sempiternal' is briliant. There simply is not a weak track. Sure there will be some criticism from people who think they're true 'metal heads', but those of us who have been into the genre from a while now can really appreciate the depth of this album. The band's previous offerings, whilst I really enjoy them, are pretty two-dimensional. BMTH have knocked everything up a notch with their fourth studio album and it's absolutely brilliant. I wasn't quite expecting an album quite as good as this and I'm going to be listening to this for a long time to come I expect. I've already listened to it through about 20 times over the pastw week! Best track? Definitely Shadow Moses, the standout single. Usually the singles on albums are not the best, but this one is an exception. Shadow Moses is such an amazing track - and perfectly positioned in the heart of the album. But beside that, each other track offers a unique taste of what the band has become, and that is... something very special.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Collector's Edition (PC & Mac)
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty - Collector's Edition (PC & Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing RTS - second best ever, 6 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was a massive fan of the original Starcraft and Brood Wars games and have been eagerly awaiting a sequel ever since. However, in the past 10 years my taste in video games has definitely moved on. Back then I absolutely adored RTS games of all sorts; my last properly played RTS was Dawn of War. Since then, and even before (since the golden age), I have moved onto playing a lot more console games and have almost all but forgotten the RTS. Fortunately SC2 has brought it all back to me. This is a brilliant game which has a compelling storyline (although definitely not as good as the first two games) and a multiplayer as good as the first. In fact, I actually prefer playing multi this time around because the matchmaking system is second-to-none. I honestly think matchmaking on SC2 is better than any good console games, and the SC2 game interface (menu, ladders, achievements etc) are excellent. One criticism which many have directed at this game, that it is going to be released as three parts and they will be charging a premium for all three, does not bother me in the slightest. I suppose I can understand how this can be seen as unfair to the younger generation but - I imagine - the vast majority of the sales of these games will probably be coming from those who can afford it with ease. So I am very much looking forward to the next instalments to carry on the captivating storyline and further the multiplayer to even greater depths. Overall I think this is a stunning game and it plays better than any other RTS I've ever played (excluding SC1/BW of course). Blizzard have stayed true to the original and made an updated game which plays just as well as the original did, and in my opinion that was the main achievement in producing the sequel, even if it did come 10 years later; it was a wait I'm happy to have made. 10/10.

EASYi - Crystal Clear Hard Case Cover & Touchscreen Technology Screen Protector for Sony Walkman X Series 16GB 32GB NWZX1060B NWZX1050B
Offered by Akis Enterprises

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor product, 17 July 2009
I wanted a good cover/protector for my new Sony X Series walkman, so I had a look around on amazon for something suitable. Based on other reviews for similar walkman protection from EASYi I decided to buy this pack. You get a clear plastic hard case and a static plastic cover which protects the touch-screen. On the face of it, this seems fine, but when you actually get it through the post you'll soon discover it's just a waste of money.

I'll give this 2 stars only on the basis that the hard shell will protect the walkman from scratches and light bumps etc, but it looks incredibly cheap and tacky. Considering how stunning the X Series walkman is, having this shell around it makes it looks ugly and cheap. It also feels really weak and brittle. Needless to say I've done away with it already.

The static plastic cover to protect the screen is absolutely pathetic. It would be fine if it actually stuck to the screen without air bubbles. I tried to get it down several times but with no luck, using various tools to smooth the cover over the screen. But unfortunately whatever I did did not prevent hundreds of big and small bubbles collecting underneath the cover. Sure you could use it with the bubbles but it looks awful.

So after buying this for £6 or so, I'm not using either the screen cover or the plastic shell. Both are poor products. Do NOT buy this. You will regret it.

Samurai Warriors 2 (Xbox 360)
Samurai Warriors 2 (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant historical/fantastical action game - a must buy for the Xbox 360, 13 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Prior to getting Samurai Warriors 2 on the Xbox 360 I had never had any of the Koei branded games i.e. Samurai Warriors or any of the Dynasty series. Now I realise how I've missed out. This is an absolutely fantastic game. If you have any interest in the history of Japan throughout the 16th/17th centuries then this game will probably be of interest to you. Sure, it's overly dramatised but it's a story based video game so, for sure, it's going to be - and there's nothing wrong with that either, because it's thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

It is based largely on an accurate history of feudal Japan during the Oda and Tokugawa dynasties of the 16th and 17th centuries. The game certainly makes things prettier and fantastical than history would suggest was the case but this is also a good things. With HD quality with the 360 the game is beautifully rendered, especially the characters and warriors themselves. The fighting system is actually easier to use than Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires, and focused less on commanding the army and more on individual heroes who do everything for the greater good of the army, which I believe makes the game more playable and more enjoyable.

Furthermore the game is practically endless. I've played it a lot and have never gotten bored. There are loads of storylines to unfold, 26 unique warriors to use in total (although you need to unlock most of them, which is best too) and many different maps to fight on. There's also a free mode allowing you to forget about the bigger picture and simply focus your efforts on a single mission/battle. Plus survival modes and a boardgame based mini game are also enjoyable. Weapons, ungrades, horses, and guards are all unlockables as well, plus it's great to be able to gain experience and improve the heroes of the game playing through all modes, making them near indestructable!

I highly recommended this game to anyone who is into the Koei-type action games and anyone who has any interest in East Asian history - whether you love Samurai simply because of Tom Cruise's movie, or even if you have a deeper interest in the history of the region and period (as I do), this game may well be highly enjoyable to you... it certainly has been, and continues to be, for me.

Warhammer: 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade (PC)
Warhammer: 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Relic raise the bar once again, 7 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This has been my most anticipated game for a long while. And it certainly lives up to my high expectations. I didn't doubt the game would dissapoint, but perhaps it was never going to be as good as people were saying it would be. Thank the stars then, that Dark Crusade is amazingly good.

Dawn of War is easily my favourite game for about the last five or more years. So to have a second expansion was always going to be a high point of the season (if not the year). Fortunately this expansion offers FAR more than Winter Assault ever did. Let's look at my personal pros and cons of DC.

Pros:

2 new playable races - Tau Empire and Necron. This is enough to buy the game on its own. Bringing the total number of unique races to 7, which is unprecedented. Not only that, but they're both very different from the standard 5. Moving on...

20 new multiplayer maps - I think it's 20, but whatever, that's an awful lot of new maps to blast your way around. It brings the total to about 75 which is certainly more than enough and they're all rather interesting and appealing too, which is more important.

New units and abilities - it's also nice to see that Relic have introduced some new units and abilities to step up the standard 5 races. Orks definitely need Flash Gitz for long range, powerful fire power, and Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons are useful considering their troopers and weapons are relatively weak. Plus Grey Knights are tres cool!

It's also great to finally see the computer using ALL unit types and various strategies. It was a shame the computer would easily neglect certain units in the other two games. Now you actually see Eldar using Vypers and Rangers!

Plus, the change of the basic function of cloaking is now vastly improved. And for the first time ever I'm using the Skull Probes!

Main single player feature - The conquest of Kronus. It's a good idea actually. Although actually playing through all this isn't massively exciting, it would have been more boring if Relic just created another linear irrelevant storyline. Plus, having an Honour Guard and being able to use existing buildings in new battles is a nice features and essentially allows this to work.

Sound and Graphics - both have been improved. Units say more things, plus battles have been upgraded in both departments. Skirmishes sound better and look better than they ever did before, which is great.

Cons:

Unit limits - Limits have been put on certain units such as Predators and Terminators, amongst others. Surely this has been done to even the playing field, especially with regards to net gaming. It's a shame though that it restricts single player versus computer.

Loading times - Well, they were never fast, but they've certainly gotten way too slow. Oh well, at least it gives me the time to do the odd job round the house. ;)

Lack of bikes - I'd love to see Space Marines sport bikes and assault bikes. It's a shame they've not been added for this new edition.

...

Well, there aren't a whole lot of cons, which is a good thing, and the ones I've come up with on the spot will only ease over playing time. Generally though, what it shows is that it's an almost flawless game. It still has the amazing gameplay as it has had since day one, but now it's just been vastly improved. I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who enjoy fast paced sci-fi RTS games, because this is definitely the best since Starcraft.

Plus, for newcomers to the series you don't even need the original game. This can be played stand-alone, albeit with only Tau and Necron, but that's enough to get anyone started on the series.

10/10