Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for S. Smith > Reviews

Content by S. Smith

S. Smith "sitorimon" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Countdown: The Game (Wii)
Countdown: The Game (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly and far too basic., 19 Mar. 2010
I wasn't expecting bells and whistles but I've played free flash game versions of countdown games and they had more pizzazz than this. While the game concept stays on intact, the entire game is a blue screen. You pick your letters and then use the wii remote to drag your letters across - when it works. You can just click on the letters which is easier but you'll be hard pressed to get everything done in 60 seconds letalone 30. Thankfully you can adjust the timer to suit how you want to play and have unlimited time if needed.

The biggest flaw though is that in just one 15 round game we've had three words that are real and correctly spelt pop up and say they aren't in the dictionary. "Orion" was one, I can't remember the rest. That'd be ok if it then doesnt reel off a list of words you've never heard before as possible completions.

As a family, we found the game fiddly, frustration and very, very blue. We played one round, got annoyed with it and then put on Smartypants instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2013 11:11 PM GMT

Ocean Waves [DVD]
Ocean Waves [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tomomi Mochizuki

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite the Impact I'd Hoped For, 19 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Ocean Waves [DVD] (DVD)
I'd not heard of Ocean Waves before but having bought every other Ghibli film in the collection released in the UK so far, it was an automatic buy for me. The story is essentially about a love triangle between two best friends at school over a girl who's moved from Tokyo into the country, and how the friends deal with eachother as one struggles to hold back his feelings. It's told in retrospect and is very similar to Only Yesterday in terms of style, story and the feelings and emotions portrayed.

I did enjoy the film but I was left a little deflated as well as the girl they are busy falling fall is so awful to the pair of them, she'd lost my sympathy almost by the time her story was fully revealed. The ending was left very open as well, which usually doesn't bother me but for some reason with this film it did.

I can completely see however why others are rating it 5 stars. It's charming and has some great moments...maybe I'll warm to it more on a rewatch. 3.5 stars really.

Paper Heart [DVD]
Paper Heart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Cera
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, if not entirely successful!, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Paper Heart [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paper Heart is essentially a pretend documentary about a girl who doesn't believe in love. However during the quest to see if travelling across America and talking to people whom have loved will change her views, she actually meets someone and starts a relationship with him.

The actual story is a good one but while I was very interested in what becomes a very believeable set up, I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the leading lady saying "But I'm not in love!" when she's spent the last few months holding hands and smooching her boyfriend. I then ended up losing empathy with her and her quest and feeling sorry for everyone else that was suffering it with her. The deleted scenes (some half an hours worth!) went some way to restoring more likability in her for me but if there'd been more of a slow realisation of love instead of this abrupt quick ending with a strange tacked on explanation then I'd have felt much more at home with the whole movie and then rated it and enjoyed it higher.

I'd definately watch it again, I've a feeling this will be a grower, but I've seen a lot more likeable indie love movies than this where the leading lady doesn't end up rubbing me up the wrong way (Me, You and Everyone We Know for starters!)

Winter Sports 2010: The Great Tournament (PS3)
Winter Sports 2010: The Great Tournament (PS3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough Variety, 21 Jan. 2010
This game (and the official one for that matter) both suffer with the same trouble. There's just not enough of it. Skiing, biathlon, bobsleigh, speed skating are all steering, skijumping is just the same, figure skating is a simon-says game. I just thought they'd put in much more variety for essentially 8 mini-games. The challenge mode is where most of the trophies are at and will take a while to complete, but when you compare to the PS2 and Wii versions of 2008, they had more events and therefore more of a shelflife. A shame, as what's there isn't too bad.

CyberLink Power DVD 9 Ultra (PC CD)
CyberLink Power DVD 9 Ultra (PC CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, 21 Jan. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The problem with this software, is that while it does the job, I just found Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio (for all its bugs) and even Roxio's more versatile (and Roxio's video capture software is the smoothest I've tried to date) and with more features and pizazz. The fact they are all similar price doesn't help it either. I mean, it does nothing wrong. It installed fine, didn't crash particularly a lot, but it just was a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Buzz! Quiz World (PS3)
Buzz! Quiz World (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Version of Buzz to Date, 3 Dec. 2009
I stayed clear of Brain of the UK for a bit as I'd heard a lot of complaints and went for this one and I'm so glad I did. You can now nikname your character (many real names there too) and Buzz will call you by your name. The whole set and studio has received an overhaul and everything has more comic humour and attention to detail.

The rounds have been expanded on. Single player is still limited but multiplayer is absolutely fantastic. The new rounds such as boiling point (first to 6 correct answers) really add to the show and old favourites like pass the bomb and pie throw are still there. Infact, multiplayer is now a 5 round show which ends in the Final Countdown and so each time you play, you'll get a selection of the rounds available and not all of them. Also you can play 8 player mode too.

Finally the trophies are completely different this time round and all the quiz packs downloaded for the first Buzz work with this one too so its all great stuff.

Highly recommended, the best Buzz game to date.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2011 8:47 PM GMT

Globatek Dbl Inflatable Sofa Bed
Globatek Dbl Inflatable Sofa Bed

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for 3 people!, 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Globatek Dbl Inflatable Sofa Bed
This inflatable sofa has done the job for me, as I've just moved and this is all I could afford. It's comfortable, holds its own, the fabric isn't that bad and can be either a sofa or a bed (although the middle crease will mean you'll be swallowed up in it if you use it as a bed).

There is one problem, there is no way on earth it can sit three people, unless they are insanely skinny! I'm quite porky but my partner isn't and we were just fine, but that's as far as it could go.

2 seater only!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2011 3:48 PM GMT

Kingdom of Spiders [DVD] [1977] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Kingdom of Spiders [DVD] [1977] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Compulsive Viewing!, 17 Aug. 2009
It's no wonder this film has a cult following, it falls firmly under the so-bad-its-great category by such a large margin you have to wonder if it was originally made to be like it.

Shatner is bust being drunk, flirting awfully and being cheeky to a woman that goes from hating his guts to declaring undying love in about 20 minutes tops. While they're up to no good (such as him kidnapping her and stealing her car which makes her fall in love with him?!) people and animals start to get bumped off by plastic spiders. The death scenes are delightful and funny and then all of a sudden the last 20 minutes are actually rip-roaringly great. Suddenly you've gone from laughing at everything to seeing utter carnage everywhere with some quite impressive stunts.

Then the last scene reminds you its all just too funny.

Get some drinks and snacks in, get some friends around and watch this film - you'll need a change of underwear after as you'll have laughed that much!

Passengers [DVD] [2008]
Passengers [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great slow burning mystery, 6 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Passengers [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The Passengers is a great movie that will probably go a bit unnoticed as it holds back on special effects and opts for a slow boil of tension and mystery.

Anne Hathaway plays a counsellor who is sent to look after 10 survivors of a plane crash. The survivors are all in a state and one of them refuses to attend the group sessions and opts for one on one visits (cue the romance). However when the passengers start to have conflicting stories, Anne turns to the airline whom say they are all in shock and warns her away from fishing about. Following that one by one the passengers disappear and that's when things really get interesting.

The ending was a triple twist finale and the final scenes are particularly well done. It's mystical and mysterious but still moving.

I'd recommend this film to people who enjoy character driven stories with an element of the other world as I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2009 8:27 PM BST

Magix Rescue Your Vinyl & Tapes
Magix Rescue Your Vinyl & Tapes

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky, cumbersome and buggy, 26 July 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Potentially this product could work perfectly fine and when it does, it does its job well. However I had installation troubles, no usb lead (which you need) and it would hang for several seconds quite often which was confusing as I use the same computer for video recording which would be more taxing. Also the layout is a bit awkard too.

The cleaning up extra tools only work for minor defects to the vinyl too so if your records are warped or very crackly, this will not help.

Overall, I was underwhelmed and frustrated but maybe others will get on with it better than I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20