Profile for cupcake girl > Reviews

Content by cupcake girl

cupcake girl (The Provinces, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ever After High Royal and Rebel Sisters (Twin Pack)
Ever After High Royal and Rebel Sisters (Twin Pack)
Offered by Bargainmax Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Delectable Duo, 17 Mar. 2016
I'm not ashamed to say I received these dolls as a present for my 36th birthday and I wanted them! I'm an adult collector but I don't believe in keeping toys in a box gathering dust on a shelf, they will be played with. They are beautiful, Holly is my favourite, she is the Royal twin with the long hair. Holly wants to follow in her mother Rapunzel's footsteps and be rescued from her tower by a handsome prince whereas Poppy is a rebel and would rather be a hairdresser, she is sporting a rather trendy short cut. Their clothes are exquisite. Acessories include 2 stands, 2 hairbrushes and 2 diaries which are completely pointless because they are all written in several European languages but not English. I'm used to this from Amazon now but it still rankles, this set cost £25, is it too much to expect to be able to read it? The blurb on the back of the box is also unreadable. I also recently purchased Ashlynn Ella and Hunter Huntsman from Amazon, another double set. Weirdly, their diaries are in English. As it never tells you what you're going to get in the product specifications, who the hell knows?
Dolls are 5* but deducting a star for European diaries.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2016 2:39 AM BST

Jem and the Holograms Movie Handbook
Jem and the Holograms Movie Handbook
by Howie Dewin

4.0 out of 5 stars ... went to see the Jem movie which was surprisingly good despite the bad reviews, 2 Mar. 2016
My daughter and I went to see the Jem movie which was surprisingly good despite the bad reviews. I was expecting it to be terrible but it was actually pretty decent. Because themovie tanked there hasn't been a lot of memorabilia released so I purchased this book and the movie soundtrack because they are the only things available. The book is 64pages long, contains colour photos from the movie, fun quizzes like "find out which hologram you are", a fold out movie poster (a4 size) and bios of the characters. This is definitely a book for a young girl about my daughter's age which is seven. It's not for adults so I can't understand why so many adults are slating it in the reviews. There are some errors as another reviewer posted, on the blurb on the back cover Aja and Shana, the women of colour have been mixed up which is pretty unforgivable but fortunately this is not repeated in the book. It's a fun piece of fluff for a young girl, my daughter loves it and it's a great souvenir from the movie.
P.s The soundtrack is awesome, if you liked the movie, make sure to download it!

Disney Frozen Mega Value Favors (48 Pieces)
Disney Frozen Mega Value Favors (48 Pieces)
Offered by Dazzle The Party Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Princess party bags, 25 Feb. 2016
My daughter had a Frozen birthday party last year which included a visit from Queen Elsa. These favours made the perfect party bag filler although they are quite small. The guests loved them because of the Frozen theme and buying in a value pack certainly makes life easier than scouring the shops looking for novelty gifts. I paid £8 for the 48 piece set which I think is quite reasonable, my husband however disagrees! The favourite items amongst the girls were the tiny writing pads and the mini puzzle game.

Childrens Girls Plain Cotton Rich Tights (7-8 Years) (Green)
Childrens Girls Plain Cotton Rich Tights (7-8 Years) (Green)
Offered by Universal Textiles & Footwear

2.0 out of 5 stars Transparent Tights, 25 Feb. 2016
Purchased for my daughter as part of a Robin Hood costume. They are adequate but nothing special, they seem quite small compared to Marks and Spencer tights size 7-8 which she usually wears which always fit perfectly. Furthermore, they are extremely thin, almost transparent in the knees so won't last long. They were quite cheap however so the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. Definitely would not recommend to anyone thinking of buying these for school use, they would get worn out within a week.

Monster High Fright-Mares Doll Pyxis Prepstockings
Monster High Fright-Mares Doll Pyxis Prepstockings
Offered by Productos Licenciados

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit Meh......, 11 Feb. 2016
I'm not a huge fan of the Monster High Frightmares dolls, I just don't see the point of them, they're quite small and you can't buy clothes for them, they come with no accessories and they're quite expensive for small pieces of plastic, (I'm not really selling this, am I?) They are much better looking than the new 'My Little Ponies' however. I am of course not their target audience, my 7 year old daughter thinks they are awesome. One thing to note, Pyxis is far prettier on the artwork on box than she is in real life, even my daughter commented on this. Check out the Monster High website to see for yourselves, all of the 'Frightmares' are cuter in the drawings. I think the illustrator should paint the dolls too.
Rated 4 stars because I got a great deal, usually these retail for over £10 but I got this for £6 including delivery.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ever After High Farrah Goodfairy Doll
Ever After High Farrah Goodfairy Doll
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Tinged, 11 Feb. 2016
I purchased Farrah as a gift for my daughter's birthday without seeing her in the flesh (or shouldn't that be plastic?) first. I must confess I don't think she's as pretty in reality as she looks in the photo, her skin is a lot pinker and her smile is slightly goofy. She was a great price however and I think my daughter will like her, as will most other little girls, she is a sparkly fairy after all. Apparently her wings are detachable and can be worn on other dolls although I have not tried this myself. This new line of dolls seems to have had a bit of a revamp, Farrah comes with a diary but it's no longer a bookmark which is a shame, I thought they were rather unique but at least this time some of it is actually written in English so I can read it.The box is a slightly different shape but still has the keyhole.
Apologies for the grainy pic, it was taken on my iPhone so not brilliant quality. As you can see, she is quite pink. Although not one of my favourites in this collection, she was definitely a great buy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll
Monster High Boo York Gala Ghoulfriends Mouscedes King Doll
Offered by King Of Bargains

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a 5 star but........, 22 Jan. 2016
This should have been a 5 star review but I'm deducting a star for the following reasons, this is a European version of the doll which means the diary is written entirely in French, the only English words are 'Monster High' and 'Mouscedes King', that's it. I am disappointed as I like to read and keep the diaries on all of my dolls but I can't read French! This has become a common occurrence here on Amazon, I've previously purchased Monster High and Ever After High dolls from here which are European and experienced exactly the same problem. This seems to be the case on the cheap dolls, if they are less than £15 than chances are they are foreign. I was fortunate to buy Mouscedes for £9.97 which is a fantastic deal, in my local toy shop she retails for £25 which is awfully expensive. My glee over the price kind of cancels out my disappointment over the diary although I do wish Amazon would highlight this in the notes.

One other thing that annoys me is there is no matching handbag/purse, all the other Monster High dolls come with a bag but not Mouscedes or Elle ee Dee who I also own, can't speak for for Luna Mothews as I've not seen her. As they are dressed for the big gala which is shown at the end of the 'Boo York Boo York' movie it would stand to reason they would have purses to match their outfits but they don't. They only come with a hairbrush, stand, and a diary i can't read. I feel a bit let down, the dolls are more expensive than ever and they come with few extras, I feel like Mattel are trying to rip us off.
Mouscedes herself is exquisite, she has definitely become one of my favourites already. I love her cute little buck teeth and candy floss coloured hair. She is the daughter of the Rat King but unusually for a rat, she is lactose intolerant so don't give her any cheese! She is shorter than the others, same height as Twyla and Howleen.
She is a lovely doll and if you can find a cheap deal like I did, go for it!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars You can improve on a masterpiece!, 30 July 2015
When I first heard Isa was publishing a new and improved 10th anniversary edition of one of my favourite cookbooks I felt very excited. I love Isa so much if she wrote a book on stamp collecting I would probably buy it. There's lots to love in this new edition, even if you own the original as I do, you will still want to add this to your collection. So what's new? A new foreword from Isa, the old recipes you know and love are still there, some unchanged, others have been given a makeover and for the better. Dried cherries replace fresh in the cherry almond muffins because nobody can be bothered to pit so many cherries (I totally concur!). Remember how the ingredients lists were quite long in many of the recipes? They have been streamlined because Isa admits she liked to use as many herbs and spices as possible because she thought it made a dish fancier but has since realised that less is more. There's more recipes too, some from the PPK blog and some from her other books Vegan cookies invade your cookie jar and Vegan pie in the sky. Lots of funky new photos accompany the recipes and the pages are glossier and snazzier. Fizzle the cat is still giving out tips.
The original VWAV was the first vegan cookbook I ever owned, I have made many things from it over the years and it sits proudly on my kitchen shelf tatty and torn and splattered with food stains. My young children have grown up cooking with Isa, we make her pancakes regularly as it's an easy recipe for them and uses store cupboard ingredients. We are looking forward to making many more recipes in the future.

Monster High: An Original Graphic Novel: 02 I Only Have Eye For You (Monster High Graphic Novels)
by Heather Nuhfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fangtabulous!, 11 Jun. 2015
I'm a huge Monster High lover and so is my 6 year old, not sure who I purchased this book for, me or her but we both really enjoyed reading it at bedtime. Unlike the other Monster High novels currently available, this is in comic strip form so it's very much like the cartoon tv series and follows the same story arc. The illustrations are excellent and the stories are fun. There are 6 stories altogether all focussing on a Monster High couple going to the Fraidy Hawkins dance. There's Iris Clops and Manny Taur (love these two, hope they get made into mainstream dolls soon, at the moment they are just a Comic Con special), Lagoona and Gill, Deuce and Cleo, Heath and Abbey, Scarah and Invisibilly (loved him in the Lisi Harrison books, he was paired up with Spectra then, now he's with Scarah and they make an adorable couple) and finally Draculaura and Clawd (this was my favourite story in the book because we get to meet love rival Valentine again, remember him from "Why do Ghouls fall in Love?".
A must buy for any Monster High fan.

Andrew James Ice Cream Maker - Voted "Best Buy" By Which? Magazine. 1.5 Litre - Red
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little machine, perfect for ice cream experimenters everywhere!, 1 Mar. 2015
I received this as a Christmas present last year and I'm blown away by how good it is. I wasn't expecting much as it's only £20 and cheap plastic, however this does make awesome ice cream. If you're looking to experiment with making your own ice cream/fro yo and don't want to make the investment for a fancypants all singing all dancing machine this is a great place to start.
I know this has all been mentioned in the other reviews but I'm going to tell you anyway, the metal bowl is removeable, this must be placed in the freezer for at least 8 hours before you make ice cream. I keep my bowl in the freezer permanently for whenever the urge to make ice cream hits (and it does frequently). I have an incredibly small freezer and it fits no problem. Recipes vary but on average it takes about 30 mins for the ice cream to reach the right consistency. At this stage, it's soft serve (just the way I like it!) you can eat it now or pop it in the freezer to harden. Be warned though, the next day it's going to be rock solid, you'll need a crowbar to get it out or you could just leave it out for 5-10 mins to soften. Homemade ice cream is definitely more icy than the shop bought kind, but it's so much better because we get to choose the flavours. This machine is really easy to use too.

Slight drawback, churning the ice cream really takes it out of the motor, once you've made a batch you'll need to give it a rest before you make more. Not a problem for me as one batch at a time is usually enough but if you're in the mood for several flavours at once, this machine is probably not going to cut the mustard.

Comes with a free recipe book which I can't comment on because I haven't used it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5