Profile for Marcus Dawson > Reviews

Marcus Dawson

Kensington ClickSafe Keyed Twin Laptop Lock
Kensington ClickSafe Keyed Twin Laptop Lock

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeping my bits safe, 10 Oct. 2013
This is a twin locking mechanism that fit standard laptop holes. I didn't get on with the lock at all because it requires you to fit the lock section to your device which leaves a small round 'head' protruding from your laptop. In some instances this would be fine, but as my laptop is in and out of a bag a couple of times a day it would only be a matter of time before the protuding part ripped the bag.

In the past I have used chains that just a have a small T piece that goes into the laptop hole to lock. But with this unit you inset the T piece and, using a supplied allen key, tighten it in with a round section permanently protruding. The lock section is then inserted into the main lock and your device is secured.

Security wise I have do doubts whatsoever this device is a secure as any other 'laptop lock' and the added bonus of being able to lock two devices (laptop and external hard drive) was a requirement for me.

If it wasn't for the 'sticking out part' I would still be using this. But sadly I had to return the part.

Raspberry Pi For Dummies
Raspberry Pi For Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars Pi time yum yum yum, 10 Oct. 2013
Having had my Raspberry Pi since Christmas 2012 but never having opened the box it was probably time I worked out how to use it. So with the help of this book I unpacked the tiny computer and hooked everything up. I am a very technical person and I have an ancient background in computers from the 1990s but have not looked at lines of code, outside websites, for many many years since. So with that in mind I set about reading the book first.

It is the 'standard' dummies format with Tips, reminders and warnings to highlight those daft errors that can take ages to track down if you're not looking for the simple things like the difference between ( and {.

Never having wrestled with linux for more than a few characters the books easy style, although sometimes a bit too dummy for me, did explain plenty of the ways in which to program the Pi and seeing this I ditched the cautious 'read the book first' and whipped out the Pi and connected it up. In the time it took to read 3 chapter I was up and running :o)

Now I was quite happy to bounce around the chapters, not really worrying about photo editing I skipped straight to the the networked media section (Ch9). Again in the time it took to read a few pages I was watching movies from my home server.

Honestly I've skipped through the Scratch programming section as that is a whole other world I don't really want to dive into yet. But I've started looking at the later 'projects' chapters with profound interest and will be diving into those soon.

Overall a very well written book, that eases you through your Raspberry Pi life with confidence and allows you to explore the possibilities of this tiny computer.

Web Design In Easy Steps 5th Edition
Web Design In Easy Steps 5th Edition
by Sean McManus

5.0 out of 5 stars Web design and some useful viewpoints., 16 Jun. 2011
Being a seasoned web designer myself I picked up this book with the intent of flicking through and looking for anything new that I might not know. But on after a while I realised that I was reading through the pages and nodding and smiling as I took on a fresh perspective on something I have been doing for years now.

There is plenty for all abilities in the book. From the newbie to the accomplished designer. For the newbie it provides the basic grounding in how to make things work and get a website up and running. But within these pages is also a refreshing point of view for the experienced designer that helps you think about what your site actually needs to accomplish and how you can make it happen.

The book doesn't just talk about <h1> tags, keeping the right kind of brackets in your script or what needs to be in your metadata. It looks at the viewpoint of a web visitor and talks about what is going to put them off. The honest fact that people are, generally, lazy and the ours of work you've spent getting the logo for page 3 spinning is all wasted if they click off and leave if the home page doesn't tell them what they want to know.

The format of having 'hot tips', warnings and reminders down the sides of the page at first I found quite distracting but they turn out to provide a useful memory jog of what is going on when you look back at the pages.

Included or links to sites to download code snippets and helpful pointers as well as plenty of references to on-line examples of how things can be done.

After reading this book I'm not going to tear down my websites and rebuild them from the ground up, but I shall certainly be making a tweak or two based on the wisdom gleaned from the pages of this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2011 7:34 AM BST