Profile for Christie85 > Reviews

Content by Christie85

Christie85 (Cupar, Fife)

MSI Z77A-G43 Motherboard (Intel Core i3/i5/i7/Pentium/Celeron, Intel Z77, ATX, RAID, Gigabit LAN, Socket LGA1155)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value Z77 motherboard, 7 Mar. 2014
I bought this motherboard to replace an H67 Foxconnn one after upgrading from my i3-3220 to a i7-3770K. Had never overclocked before now or really knew much about building computers until last year. But I wanted a powerful system for video editing and gaming for the next few years at least. Installation of the motherboard itself was easy enough and BIOS posted first time, which is always a relief. I would mention that if you plan on SLI or Crossfire for your video cards you should probably get something a bit more expensive. SLI isn't compatible at all, because of the requirement for 2 PCI-e X8 at least (board runs at 1 X16 or 2 X16 & X4 apparently) and Crossfire would be seriously bandwidth limited. Like I said I still don't know much about overclocking but it was easy enough to just change the multiplier to 42 in BIOS anyway. I haven't changed any voltages yet, I think I'm gonna do some more reading up about it first.

All in all really happy with this motherboard and at just over £70 I would recommend to anyone that didn't plan on using SLI or Crossfire. .

Akasa AK-CBFA01-30 30 cm PWM Fan Extension Cable
Akasa AK-CBFA01-30 30 cm PWM Fan Extension Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick nicely., 10 Jun. 2013
Just finished my first pc build and was a bit disappointed at the length of the case fan cable, it reached about half the way to the motherboard system fan connection. Plugged the 3-pin into one end of this and the 4-pin into the motherboard and away it went. Cheap as chips too.

TP-LINK TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely., 10 Jun. 2013
I bought this to go with my new pc build that I've just finished, was a bit wary on account of how cheap it was but after reading the mostly positive reviews on here and the fact that it was under a tenner I thought I'd go for it.

--Installation--
This entails plugging the device into a usb port, popping the cd into the drive and installing the drivers before entering your wireless key. Simple enough: 5/5

--Performance--
This is where it loses a star unfortunately, at least for me anyway. I first tested it out on my laptop(because win 7 hadn't arrived yet), on there I get a 130mbps connection but as soon as I swapped over wireless adapters to this it dropped to 54mbps and only four bars as opposed to 5 on the laptop's built in adapter. With it having a visible aerial I imagined it managing 150mbps constantly but I'm the only internet user in the house and it's still far faster than my internet connection speed anyway. Seems worth mentioning though, especially if you exchange a lot of files in a homegroup over wi-fi.

All in all I'm happy enough with it and for the amount of cash that's being asked for it I think you couldn't do much better.

oneConcept Home Cinema Surround Sound Active Speaker System (5.1 Channels, Subwoofer & 105W RMS) - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great surround sound on the cheap, 5 Mar. 2013
For 56 quid I think it's pretty hard to do better than this. I don't jhave a DVD or Blu-Ray player so just used the included RCA cable to plug into the telly. Sounds about a hundred times better than the tinny speakers on my 40' also great for annoying the neighbours with the bass cranked up;) Don't have anything negative to say about it really, someone said it's a shame its not digital but it's over a 100w 5.1 surround system for under £60 so you can't have everything I suppose. Definitely recommended from me anyway.

Enjoy !

Activ by Raleigh Spectre Men's Dual Suspension Mountain Bike - Black, 18 Inch
Activ by Raleigh Spectre Men's Dual Suspension Mountain Bike - Black, 18 Inch

3.0 out of 5 stars Be ready with the tools!, 8 Sept. 2012
I really wanted to give this bike two stars, however, after what should of been(for a brand new product)an unnecessary amount of tinkering it finally seems to be working properly. I can't say I have much experience with the general manufacturing involved in mountain bikes but I will say, there's no way that the back wheel nut holding the wheel in place is supposed to come loose after three uses. That actually sounds a lot worse than it turned out to be, basically the wheel shifted and jammed against the frame. I did have to walk it three miles home though so I wasn't too impressed and was considering sending it back after that. The brakes also took a lot of adjusting but that's possibly just my incompetence with D.I.Y. Like I said I did eventually get it working properly though(well my mate did)and it's going great, no problems at all. I find it hard to recommend this bike because there seems to be quite a few people with similar problems according to the other reviews. Some people have reported no problems at all, so you may be one of the luckier ones. Also, for the price it is a bargain for a full-suspension mountain bike.

MHP Computer Services 20m CAT5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Patch Lead Cable
MHP Computer Services 20m CAT5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Patch Lead Cable
Offered by Cable Central

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for this length of cable, 19 Aug. 2012
For just £2.49, I think this is maybe the best value product I've purchased on Amazon. There's a bit of distance between my router and my bedroom and this 20M cable was more than enough for hooking it up to my Xbox 360. Unfortunately I ran it under my door and the friction caused by it rubbing against the doorframe when the door was opening tore the cable but the cable wasn't at fault. Will definitely be getting a new one.

Ubisoft Classics (5 game pack, incl Assassin's Creed) (PC DVD)
Ubisoft Classics (5 game pack, incl Assassin's Creed) (PC DVD)
Offered by Excess Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money although with some technical problems., 17 May 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Technical bit.

For the price this is one of the best game compliations you'll probably come across on here. I have a generally low-spec laptop (duel-core 2.2Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000). I usually stuggle to play anything with decent fps that was made after 2006 so these mostly older games(except assassins creed) run pretty well. Assassins creed should run decently on most desktops or half decent laptop's with dedicated graphic cards. Beyond Good and Evil...this is a tricky one to get working on win 7 apparently. Without changing a few compatibility settings you will have poor fps, missing textures and...well i'll just tell you how to fix it.

Go into the programs install directory and find "SettingsApplication.exe" (it should be in in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Beyond Good & Evil. In the "Advanced" tab on the right you'll notice manual compatibility Ok make sure the following are disabled and enabled

Make sure the following are disabled.
- HW Vertex Processing
- Multi vertex stream
- Autogen mipmap
Keep the following enabled.
- Triple-buffering
- SSE
- Mipmapping
- Fastflip

The game should work fine after that.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time worked fine for me although I did get a warning saying my video card wasn't supported but I just ignored that.

Rayman 3: To be honest I was never that interested in playing this game. I got it working with some crazy graphic issues though , i'm sure there is a fix online if you google it but like I said not really why I bought this.

And lastly Farcry. This actually presented quite a few problems getting it to run. First I couldn't install it when I checked the Directx 8 box...got some weird error message that I googled and couldn't really figure out so I just tried to install it without it. It worked..sort of. When I loaded up the game I got weird textures making it pretty much unplayable, so again off to google for an answer. Seems you need the latest patch, here's the link [...]. After that no problems:)

So to round it up it kind of seems that a bit of tinkering is needed to get some of these older games working on win 7 (don't know about vista) but it's fixable at least.

About the games.

I won't go into too much detail about each of the games because I want to keep this kind of short.

Assassins Creed.
A great stealth/adventure game and most people will already have heard of it. If you haven't I would definitely recommend it, it's a brilliant entry into what has become a very popular franchise.

Beyond Good and Evil.
This is really why I bought this. I never got the chance to play this when I had a PS2 and heard good things about it. A good looking game considering it came out in 2003 this really is a gem to play. Charming story and some challenging(but not overly) gameplay make this my personal favourite.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
Another game I never had a chance to play back on the PS2. Not played too much of this but from I have I've enjoyed it , although it is pretty unforgiving with the difficulty curve pretty much straight from the start. Also another game that has aged well-visually.

Rayman 3:
Well like I said before I never really got this working properly and wasn't that bothered about it in the first place although I did get good review on IGN.

Farcry.
This is one of the best FPS on the pc in my opinion. It might not look quite as good as it once did but for a game that was released in 2004 it's pretty impressive. A word of warning to anyone that hasn't played it before: play it on easy...seriously this game is punishing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 8:58 AM BST

Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3)
Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3)
Offered by PROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game...poor optimization for PS3., 24 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The major flaw with Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition for the PS3 seems to be just how badly the game actually runs on the PS3. For those able to overlook the near constant poor framerate and frequent crashes there is a wealth of fun to be had. I owned the original on the Xbox 360 when it came out and can't remember having these problems but this hasn't stopped me still chalking up over 80 hours of gameplay with this one even though I have had to reset my PS3 a good few times now. The game is excellently presented though, great production values result in a solid and often thought-provoking storyline with great graphics, combat system (V.A.T.S) and lifespan. This is a game that will take up a lot of your time and in my opinion also is great value for money. Definitely recommended but be aware of the sometimes game breaking faults in the PS3 version.