Profile for Edric_the_Destroyer > Reviews

Content by Edric_the_Dest...

Edric_the_Destroyer "Edric_the_Destroyer" (Lancashire Great Britain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Komputerbay 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300F 667MHz CL5 ECC Fully Buffered FB-DIMM (240 PIN) 16 GB w/ Heatspreaders
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars This memory works great and it came at a decent price, 19 May 2015
This memory works great and it came at a decent price. Have bought from Komputerbay before and had a good experience. Recommend that you give them a try.

Ancicraft Pocket Leather Journal with Cool Lock Handmade Blank Craft Paper A7 with Gift Box (Dark coffee)
Offered by C&L Workshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Jan. 2015
very nice item bought as a filler but a really nice quality present

Women's Scarf Red - Lovarzi Scarves for Women - Perfect for summer and winter - Ladies Pashminas
Offered by LOVARZI

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a very well received gift for an older ..., 31 Jan. 2015
This was a very well received gift for an older relative. She wears it for a splash of colour when outwith her mates.

Steepletone 2 Band Dorset Retro Styled DAB Radio - Beige
Steepletone 2 Band Dorset Retro Styled DAB Radio - Beige
Offered by Digitalis Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Jun. 2014
This was a Warehouse Bargain and is great. The DAB functions are as might be expected but the FM and AM radio is really sensitive plus you get the retro thrill of turning that big plastic dial to tune it (not DAB stations). Wish the dial was illuminated but that's just being picky.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Assurance issue ok now, 25 Jun. 2014
Great phone. No issues with WIFI or GSM or making calls. Everything worked fine for me. The camera is OK for general use.
Can I also note that this hooked up to my corporate Exchange Server without any issues - don't think anyone has mentioned that yet.

The software support for the dual SIM feature is very good. I found it quite straight forward to navigate and to select those features were to be used with each SIM. when you receive a call the display does tell you which SIM is being used for that call so you know in advance if you're receiving a business or a personal call.

All in all its a great replacement for a Samsung Galaxy Note. Its pure Android too so it doesn't have any wacky additions from the OEM.

I very much like this phone and I wish it had worked for longer than 24 hours !

Now to be clear when I received the phone I cracked open the case, fitted 2 SIMs and a memory card. That's it. For the rest of the time the phone was in its case. It was not dropped, kicked, jarred or exposed to extremes of heat, radiation or moisture. Given this treatment I am disappointed that it has failed although my inner voice is being quite smug.

Still I live in hope and as such I am going to try this again and see if a replacement unit can provide a bit more mileage because if it works it will be truly worth the hassle.

I will update this review in light of that experience.

Kudos to the Amazon returns policy & the great Service they provide.

BTW the case provided does fit the phone but recognize that it entirely replaces the back of the phone - it doesn't clip over it.

=== Update ===

OK here we go again. New phone delivered very promptly. Exactly the same model. Everything worked exactly as before; 2x SIMS inserted, both work fine, 3G data available; phone signal strong. WIFI working. Connected to Google Play and installed AV and performed a full scan without any issues. Data has synched with Google so all my contacts etc are now back. In short its all working fine. I'm charging the phone now and will report back in a week or so how it gets on.

A couple of weeks in and I'm very happy. All the good reviews are correct. Just buy carefully in case you need to return. This is a great phone. HTH.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 8:37 AM GMT

Oh No It's Selwyn Froggit - The Complete Series [DVD]
Oh No It's Selwyn Froggit - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Maynard
Offered by cs-marketplace

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic !, 10 Feb. 2014
"Don't open that cupboard Selwyn things fall out of it. "

Harghhhh - a real blast from the past. Great

Toshiba Satellite NB10t-102 11.6-inch Laptop with Touchscreen (Intel Pentium Series 2 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Windows 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the computer - don't like windows 8, 10 Feb. 2014
Just that - Toshiba Satellites in all shapes and sizes are consistently excellent. This is very small - the NB in the name actually stands for Net Book but that seems to have fallen out of favour in this world of 'phones, tablets and dare I say phablets. This is a great mini laptop. Just wish there was an option to have it supplied with Windows 7 or a version of Linux. Windows 8 is tacky (IMHO) and doesn't work very well. I understand Microsoft have released a free upgrade to Windows 8.1 but at 2 or 3 GB it seems this will completely replace Windows 8 so that speaks volumes. Wonder if I can get it on a cover disk from PC Pro. Did I mention this is a great little laptop ?

=== Update ===

Better with the Win 8.1 update but would still like to ditch it in favour of Windows 7 or a Linux version however this is not currently possible (AFAIK).
The reason is to do with the Intel hardware used. See the thread extract given below - source url for this is [...]

"I think the "problem" (to be honest its not an problem but feature) is the newest Intel chip standard called Baytrail.

Intel Baytrail is the newest kind of chip designed especially for mobile (tablet) usage.

As far as I know such chips support only the UEFI capable devices and systems (Win 8, Win 8.1) and therefore the UEFI / CSM boot mode option isn't available in the BIOS settings."

This Satellite NB10T was equipped with such Intel Baytrail chip and therefore this option is missing."

The effect of this seems to be that you can't install Linux or Windows 7; the laptop should be viewed as a tablet device rather than as a standard mini laptop. There may be a firmware update from Toshiba that could make this possible but this may be an example of wishful thinking as I can find no official reference for this.

If anyone has a workaround please post a link.

== update: still struggling to get any other OS to install properly

== update 2: Finally we have a result. TFFT!

Kudos must go to G Hills for the site [...] where this issue has been pursued over the months.

Personally I was not able to get any traction with this issue until the release of BIOS update 1.40 from Toshiba that allows you to opt out of using UEFI. The BIOS update is not the easiest thing to apply; I couldn't get any installation method to work apart from burning the included .iso image to a physical CD and then using a USB cdrom drive to update the laptop. That said once its done its done.

Now this machine that has been nothing but a royal pain in the a*se, is transformed. I installed 64-bit Ubuntu LTS yesterday, with no issues, and this absolutely flies.

Smashing, lovely, super. Its a Bully bonus and its about time.

I now rate the laptop as a 4.5 star device.

Did I mention that Toshiba Satellites in all shapes and sizes are consistently excellent ?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 8:29 PM BST

niceEshop(TM) 8GB Shiny Crystal Heart USB 2.0 Flash Drive / Memory Stick -Pink
niceEshop(TM) 8GB Shiny Crystal Heart USB 2.0 Flash Drive / Memory Stick -Pink
Offered by CZ-Sky [ships from HongKong]

1.0 out of 5 stars NIce enough but the USB doesn't work, 28 Dec. 2013
Bought one of these as a stocking filler with hidden USB storage functionality. The USB indexes corrupt as you use the device giving some interesting results and no chance of recovering your items in a consistent manner. Now I have to say that for a fiver I wasn't too bothered. I just reported the issue and requested a working replacement. Now I have to say that the Chinese support staff are VERY polite so I feel a bit mean when I report that the replacement unit has exactly the same issue and is unusable as a storage device.

Is this a duff batch I dunno but I specifically requested a "working" unit which means they didn't care enough to check.

Sorry guys in the tough new world of customer service this doesn't cut the mustard. KIndly avoid this item; I am sorry to cause so much distress. Wye aye son !

Huawei Honour U8860 Sim Free SmartPhone - Black
Huawei Honour U8860 Sim Free SmartPhone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Smarter than me, 10 Aug. 2013
OK first off I don't like Smartphones, they are all a compromise one way or the other and more than that I detest the elitest drivel that is spoken about them.

I have to use one and as such this 'phone is pretty slick, the screens are smooth and it all works great. I have moved to this from an HTC One Desire costing much more but delivering much less IMHO. Couldn't live with the HTC and after 7 months use it had to go. Everything on the Huawei just works, I'm not getting into the fine lifestyle specs here, if you want a Smartphone that does the job and is ridiculously under-priced then this is the one to get. I-phone and Samsung ARE better but they cost much more so they should be. Are they worth it ? I dunno, I guess it depends if taking 2 bottles into the shower instead of one really winds you up inside.

Phone has a 1 GB memory but you can add a micro SD expansion for a tenner and that's it.

One note of caution 3G now seems to be defunct or at least swept away by marketing nonsense - the Huawei displays an H which turns out to be some form of high speed data connection beyond 3G, there is no meaningful manual in the box just an information leaflet. You can download the manual off the company website but its not much better.

nearly sent my phone back because of the clunky setup w.r.t the Network selection - if 3G or 'H' doesn't work for you then reset the phone and try again - it should auto-detect your provider. You shouldn't have to do anything - I was prompted to accept some changes but these just wind up breaking the system. I eventually realised that the phone knows best so I ignored the changes and now it works great. Tethering my laptop for mobile Internet now works as it should.

All in all very good - now I just need to source a cheap case - not many around.

Buster Tablet Introducer Giver Classic
Buster Tablet Introducer Giver Classic
Offered by Black Cat Medicines

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for us ---- I take it back great product !!!, 10 Aug. 2013
This is a little awkward to use with an otherwise healthy cat who needs a daily tablet. Really you need two people to use this if you want to avoid getting bitten or clawed. Some may have more luck and I guess the cat plays a large part in determining the mileage you'll get. I have the equivalent of Ghengis Khan in a fur coat marauding around my house and no matter how philosophical and well adjusted I try to be our encounters usually result in a battle of wills with every minor skirmish resulting in a disgruntled cat and personal tissue damage. This tool is a nice idea and I can see how it could work but for solo operation its not for us.

UPDATE - I take it all back, every other method I tried finally got sussed by the cat one way or the other so bandage in hand I returned to this device and persevered with it. Have to say if you get the knack it rapidly becomes a real boon, saving you blood and your cat a great deal of stress. I am converted - get one of these they're ace !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4