Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris (London, England)

The Sinking Of The Titanic (1969- )
The Sinking Of The Titanic (1969- )

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, 20 Dec. 2012
I bought an earlier version of this piece on the Obscure record label back in the 1980s which I believe has been re-issued on CD. It has developed considerably since then and I was lucky enough to see Gavin Bryars and Philip Jecks perform this version at the Barbican on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic being hit by the iceberg. It was an astonishing performance and this is a beautiful reminder of that evening at a bargain price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 1:19 PM BST

Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain
Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I'm buying it twice, 6 Sept. 2009
I already loved MONO but came across a track from this on a music blog. At that time it was not available as a CD so I downloaded it from eMusic. Now it is available I've added it to my wish list and if no-one gets it for my birthday or Christmas I will buy it myself. Whether this is chamber music or post-rock, I don't care. It is one of only two albums where I have rated every track as 5 stars on iTunes (the other is Messaien's Turangalila Symphony and I'm not convinced the version I have quite deserves it). I realise I have not actually described the music - I can't, except to say that it is absolutely, gut-wrenchingly beautiful. Do have a hunt around for World's End Girlfriend's solo albums too - more variable (sometimes brilliant, sometimes self-indulgent), sadly not available on CD in the UK yet.