Profile for Jamie Holt > Reviews

Look Back in Anger: The Miners' Strike in Nottinghamshire 30 Years on
by Harry Paterson
Price: 6.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog's bollocks, 20 Jun 2014
I don't do politics but I remember the coal miners strike really well. I even went on one of their demonstrations, because it was such a big thing at the time and we all hated what Thatcher was doing to them and the country. Anyway, so I thought I'd have a gander at this. What a surprise. It made me laugh, it made me cry it made me angry. WTF happened to this country it lets things like this happen? Amazing book, not just for politics and miners but for EVERYONE. Don't know the author but hope he does more. Soon.

Paranoid: Black Days with Sabbath & Other Horror Stories - The Unexpurgated Edition
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big One, 19 Jun 2014
First read it when it came out. Looking at it again on Kindle, it's like reading a whole new book. Specially like the new explanation about the book, always wondered what the hell. Wish Wall would do more like this. Come on Mick you know you want to. Very black magic indeed.

AC/DC Maximum Rock & Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band
by Murray Engleheart
Price: 7.63

1.0 out of 5 stars crap, 23 Dec 2013
Bought in after redaing the brillaint Mick Wall book. Wish I hand't bothered. Fan boy time. Where Wall gets right into the dirty truth.

Lou Reed: The Life
Lou Reed: The Life
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lou Reed: The Life (Hardcover)
Before I read this book all I really knew about Lou Reed was Walk On The Wild Side, Perfect Day and some other things. Now I feel like I missed out on one of the all-time greta rock artists. I'm used to Wall telling amazing stories even about bands I thought I knew eveything about but this just about tops the lot. The ECT treatments, the drugs (speed and heroin) the Warhol years, the fact he lived with a man named Rachel most of all the music. Made me download a best of Reed and Velvet Underground album now can't sop listening buying more. His Sabbath book is prtobably the ebst rock biog I've ever reda but this is something else. Felt very moved by the end. Thanks to my partner for the early Xmas prezzie. Brilliant.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 5:18 AM GMT

Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe
Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe
Price: 18.60

5.0 out of 5 stars The meaning of the Universe and more!, 29 Nov 2013
I admit I am a bit of a Mick Wall fan boy. But then I am also something of an expert on rock music in general and Black Sabbath in particular. And I have to say, this is simply the best book I have read by Wall. Certainly the best book ever on Sabbath, by a million miles. And probably just one of the very best rock books anyone will ever read. It's up there with his Zeppelin book. But there is something even more immersive about this one. Truly, I was shocked. Don't let Santa forget to put this one in your sock. You will NOT regret it.

Behind  Closed  Doors
Behind Closed Doors
Price: 3.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of The Man by The Man., 28 Oct 2013
Jerry tells it how it should have been told if Danny Sugarman and the Doors machine hand't intercepted him. At last!

AC/DC: Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
AC/DC: Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
Price: 15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars dogs bollocks, 24 Nov 2012
Big Mick Wall fan. His Zep book was not just the ebst rock book I have read, but one of the best books per se. Truly talented writer who gets right under the skin of a story. That said... this just might be better. Bold shout but seriously I've never read anything like it on AC/DC before. The band will hate it but really they should be proud. Someone finally treating their story the same way they write about Elvis or Lennon. Couldn't put it down.

Metallica: Enter Night: The Biography
Metallica: Enter Night: The Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter Truth!, 14 Nov 2010
Got it last Thursday, finished it today, Sunday. One word: fantastic! And that's from someone who has already read too many Metallica books. This one is SO different though. Loads of stuff no one knew, and full of interviews with people that never spoke before plus all Wall's weird, sad, scary, funny personal memories. Like his Zep book but better.

Appetite for Destruction
Appetite for Destruction
Price: 7.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocktastic!, 23 Mar 2010
Saw this in Waterstones a few days after finishing the Metallica book he wrote. Thought I'd have a look. Started reading in the shop and burst out laughing. So bought it and have now just finished it. I'm too young to have been a Kerrang reader when Wall was at his height in the 80s but reading this makes you wish you were. Brilliant.

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography Of Led Zeppelin
When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography Of Led Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Monumental achievement, 18 Nov 2008
After having only the sleazy and now outdated Hammer of the Gods to put up with all these years, it's amazing to finally have the sort of serious, brilliantly written book on Zeppelin the band and their fans deserve. I never thought I'd live to see the day but here it is at last. Mick Wall is famous enough already as a great rock writer but this has to be the best thing he's ever done or ever likely to do. Zeppelin of course are simply the greatest rock band ever. What a combination the two make. The book pulls no punches, but at the same time goes right to the heart of the matter, telling you everything - everything - you've ever wanted to know about the band, the people in it, the music they made and the times they helped shape. Wall seems to have spoken to them all and come away with the truth at last. I literally could not put it down. There have been some great books over the years about groups like the Stones and the Beatles but this tops them all. Seriously. If Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have any sense they should go down on their bended knees and thank Wall. They may not come out of it always smelling of roses but at least he's done them the favour of burying Hammer of the Gods forever. Compared to that, When Giants Walked The Earth is the bible.