Profile for steveM > Reviews

Manhunter [DVD]
Manhunter [DVD]
Dvd ~ William L. Petersen

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so stylish, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Manhunter [DVD] (DVD)
An outstanding thriller, great pacing, photography and music. Infinitely better than Anthony Hopkins Hannibal films
The passage of time has not diminished its power

Kill The Irishman [DVD]
Kill The Irishman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Must see, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Kill The Irishman [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching a documentary on the Mafia years ago and there was this extraordinary short segment on Danny Greene who took on the Mob. I've since read about him and this film seems to be a pretty accurate account. It is an extremely good film, very entertaining and very well made with a crisp script, fine acting against a great back drop, Highly recommended.

Benny Hill: Complete Megaset [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Benny Hill: Complete Megaset [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous slapstick, 15 Jan. 2009
Because of the adverse labelling by the Alternative Comedians in the 80's, Benny Hill is not widely admired. I would add that I enjoy much modern comedy and I have seen Ben Elton and Alexi Sayle live.

I have been watching quite a lot of slapstick comedy including all the silent stars. I have to say that Benny Hill's timing and ingenuity are on a par with all of them, including Keaton and Stan Laurel. If you like Airplane and all the Lesley Nielsen parodies you will reallhy enjoy this.

Yes there is plenty of smut, well it is pretty harmless. But buy this set and marvel at his wonderful slapstick talent. There are some side splitting moments in these recirdings and it is a wonder how he managed to create so much material. One day he will receive due recogniotion.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys comedy. This cannot be bettered.

Complete Scott Joplin
Complete Scott Joplin

4.0 out of 5 stars Played too fast, 14 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Complete Scott Joplin (Audio CD)
Apart from Sugar Cane Rag, I feel his tempo is too fast and he loses the subtelties of the music. Compare his Gladiolus Rag with that by Rifkin. I know many listeners like fast ragtime but this is too fast, although techincally well played.

Sugar Cane Rag sounds fantastic though, and it is worth buying the collection for this alone.

Scott Joplin: Piano Rags [IMPORT]
Scott Joplin: Piano Rags [IMPORT]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music- Well it inspired me!!, 12 May 2008
I only really knew the Entertainer and Maple Leaf Rag before I heard this album. I must say that it has opened my eyes to the most wonderful music. I think Gladiolus Rag is the most beautiful rag I have ever heard and Rifkin plays at a beautiful tempo. He also plays Paragon Rag and Fig Leaf Rag beautifully.

In fact, I felt I had to learn to play the piano after hearing this album and I was determined to learn to play Gladiolus. I have been having lessons for one year, and practising one hour each day, and am pleased to say that I can play the first half of quite a few of them!! That's at 46 and never ever previously having played a note on any instrument.

You never know this album might inspire you the same way!

Kaspersky Internet Security 7 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 7 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars do not use this, 9 Mar. 2008
Had Norton, though it was slow.

got a brand new alienware top notch PC with XP pro.

Kapersky crashed windows within 2 minutes

I had to reinstall windows

stick to old slow Norton

Into the Great Pyramid [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Into the Great Pyramid [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by simplyplay

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious, 21 Feb. 2008
I though National Geographic was a scientific institution. I bought this DVD expecting to see a serious documentary. Are they a subsidary of Disney?

Instead of a proper documentary, the DVD is a 'MTV- Indiana Jones- Science' combination. Shocking to reduce one of the wonders of the world to an imbecillic '3 second attention span' fest.

If you like 'yoof' programes this might be for you. Anyone else forget it!

Nat'l Geo: Into Pyramid & Quest Eternity [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Nat'l Geo: Into Pyramid & Quest Eternity [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by simplyplay

1.0 out of 5 stars MTV meets Archaeology!, 16 Jan. 2008

If you like 'yoof' programes this might be for you. Anyone else forget it!

Carousel: 2-disc [Special Edition] [DVD]
Carousel: 2-disc [Special Edition] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gordon MacRae
Offered by 101Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - There are not enough superlatives praise this film!, 18 Dec. 2007
I can't believe it has taken me so long to 'discover' this film. I remember it being my parent's favourite movie. I recently bought for my children as they loved the Sound of Music.

I have to say that it is the only film that has ever made me cry, and several times at that. I never thought a musical would do that.

'If I loved a you' has to be one of the most beautiful and moving love song ever written, and it is beautiful orchestrated in the astonishing 'Louise's Ballet', (check it out on You Tube). What an abstounding dance scene, I have never seen such wonderful male dancing, when a man can be so masculine and yet so graceful.

The ending with 'You'll never walk alone' is so moving and reduced me to a final flood of tears.

And I usually like action films!

This DVD issue is very good. The film is crystal clear with vivid colours, good sound and the extras are very good.

By the way, my children (8 and 6) loved it and are still singing 'If I loved you' weeks later.

They don't make films like this any more.

Very highly recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 4:17 AM BST

Yankee Doodle Dandy (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] (1942) [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, buy it!, 6 Feb. 2006
To the modern generation, most know little more about Jimmy Cagney than he played gangsters in old movies. This is a great shame as many of his films are masterpieces and when people talk about 'stars' and 'celebrity' Cagney is in a league of his own. Forget Titanic, Forest Gump and so on, this is a real masterpiece!
Even if you have never seen one of his gangster films, see this. His energy and delivery are breathtaking, and
his tap dancing and singing, shows what a marvellous all round entertainer he was. Never was an oscar more richly deserved than for this tour de force performance.
The film is worth buying for two scenes alone:
The main number when Cagney hoofs and dances up the wall and the final scen when he dances down the staircase at the Whitehouse. How did he do that? He tap dances down to perfect rhytyhm without even looking at the stairs! I beg you! Buy this film!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 12:20 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2