Profile for Emma > Reviews

Emma

The Hungry Student Cookbook
The Hungry Student Cookbook
by Charlotte Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for students: great for young professionals too!, 16 Aug. 2013
This book is beautifully presented with an attractive layout including a large number of pictures. The book covers the following sections:

* Introduction with tips for the novice cook including advice on hygiene, budget and building a store cupboard;
* Pasta; Stir-fries, noodles and rice;
* Jacket potatoes and toppings;
* In bread and on toast;
* Easy dinners and feeding friends;
* Soups, stews and curries;
* Salads, veggies and sides;
* Breakfast;
* Sweets.

I graduated in 2007 so my student days are long past but I wish this book had been around then. The cover price is incredibly reasonable and much care has been taken to give tips to the novice cook as well as ensuring the recipes are simple to follow and inexpensive. There are lots of recipe ideas for one which are perfect for people living alone or just cooking a quick meal for themselves.

As a young professional this book is a great find for me because I don't have much time during the week to dedicate to booking in the evening. There are loads of great recipes which are simple and quick to cook. Because I am time poor (rather than cash-poor like most students) I use this book in a different way focusing in on main meals and the salad section (and not the toast/jacket potato sections) but there is more than enough for me to try. I'm sure many of the recipes will become staple mid-week meals. This week I made the lamb tagine and it was beautiful but so easy.

This book is highly recommended to students but also to anyone who wants some inspiration for quick, simple meals. If the Sweets section is anything to go by, the accompanying baking book will be fantastic too.