Profile for Paul Kennington > Reviews

The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set]
The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set]
by J. R. R. Tolkien

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the time and effort, 13 Jun. 2002
I have had 'The Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings' sat on the shelf awhile. I decided to read them when the film first appeared. I started with 'The Hobbit' as it preceeded 'The Lord of the Rings'. After a short while I put it down as it seemed rather badly written and childish.
I returned to the books a couple of weeks later and decided to read 'The Lord of the Rings'. The prologue on the edition I have is tedious and recommended for those with insomnia. However, once into the first main book 'The Fellowship of the Ring' it is a compelling read.
I enjoyed the sectionalisation of the story as the plot weaved its way around several main characters and their adventures. Some effort is invloved in reading the story as the characters do not have the most pronouncable names as I found out when I had to read aloud to my son some mornings.
I suppose the complete story took me about a week to read and I found that I was picking the book up at most spare moments and reading well into the night.
I have yet to see the film, part of the reason being that I don't want to spoil the book.