Profile for Sarah Lambert > Reviews

Content by Sarah Lambert
Top Reviewer Ranking: 900

Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Three Days on Mimosa Lane (A Seasons of the Heart Novel)
Three Days on Mimosa Lane (A Seasons of the Heart Novel)
by Anna DeStefano
Price: 7.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not a light happy book but a story about dealing with tragedy. It does make you think about how we expect people to just "get over" a tragic event and it makes us feel better if we can see that they are functioning "normally". In the story Sam and her husband have made a new life after moving from New York after the events of 9/11 but 12 years have passed and Sam is still struggling to live "normally". It takes the shock of a shooting at her son's school for her to face up to the fact that she never really dealt with what happened all those years ago and the effects of this have far reaching consequences for her and her family.

Jam
Jam
by Jake Wallis Simons
Price: 10.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this an good read - somewhat different from my usual type of book. It is an interesting idea of being trapped in a traffic jam on a motorway, gradually people are drawn from the isolation of their cars and begin to interact. There are a varied cast of characters and a mixture of reactions to being trapped. It does seem a little unrealistic that they wouldn't be informed in some way about what is happening rather than just being left for hours - you would imagine that there would be a way to give them information or that the police would begin to find some way to clear the motorway. However it is a book to make you think how you would react in a similar situation and the open ending allows you to imagine what would happen next. Worth a read.

Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
by Tilly Walnes
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to boost your confidence, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have done some dressmaking before but nothing very complicated and it was some years ago. After watching The Great British Sewing Bee I have been inspired to get back into sewing but didn't feel very confident about tackling a pattern. This book is a great way to get back into sewing and to learn some new tips. I like the way you can just start at the beginning and work your way through with everything you need to know simply explained as and when you need it. The first pattern is a straightforward head scarf but it works up to a lovely dress and blouse. I feel like I will soon be confident to tackle all sorts of patterns. Recommended.

A Well-Tempered Heart
A Well-Tempered Heart
by Jan-Philipp Sendker
Price: 7.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Well-Tempered Heart (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I got this book I realised it is the second book in the series so given the good reviews I read the previous book "The Art of Hearing Heartbeats" first. I am sure that you can read this book on its own but I think it made a lot more sense having read the first one. Both books are very well written and the parts in Burma are very atmospheric, I have never been there but I felt that the story brings the country to life for me. You do need to suspend disbelief a bit, in the first book someone can hear heartbeats and recognise people from them and in this story Julia can hear a lost soul talking to her! However if you can get past this you can enjoy a lovely story with some interesting characters and a chance to learn a bit about the culture and history of Burma.

PedalPro Double Rear Bicycle Pannier Bags
PedalPro Double Rear Bicycle Pannier Bags
Offered by SDE Online
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 18 Jun 2014
These are great pannier bags. They are a good size and can hold a decent amount of shopping. They attach securely to the bike, so I don't worry that they will come off when the bags are loaded. They are also such a great price that I can leave them attached to my bike whilst shopping without the worry of something expensive being stolen. The zips don't seem that sturdy so I'm not sure they will last too long but for the price I am very pleased with my purchase.

Carry You
Carry You
by Beth Thomas
Price: 2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Carry You (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a potentially depressing book about Daisy who is grieving for her mother who died from breast cancer. I admit that at first I found Daisy frustrating - I understand that grief can be devastating but surely most people manage to get up and carry on. But gradually you realise that there is more to the story than just grief and although Daisy is still annoying at times - she has the most amazing friend in Abby and yet lies to her and treats her badly. Ultimately though this is a hopeful book about moving on from terrible experiences, the power of friendship and how your life can take unexpected turns.

Clipper Fairtrade Everyday One Cup Teabags (440 Teabags)
Clipper Fairtrade Everyday One Cup Teabags (440 Teabags)
Price: 12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tea, 18 Jun 2014
I like to buy fair trade items where I can and was pleased to be able to get these via Amazon. This is nice tasting tea and is fairly traded, also if you buy it on subscription you can get it cheaper so that makes it well worth doing. What more do you want from tea? :)

Knitting Smitten: 20 Fresh and Funky Hand-knit Designs (Simple Makes)
Knitting Smitten: 20 Fresh and Funky Hand-knit Designs (Simple Makes)
by Jessica Biscoe
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful knitting book for beginners, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this book. It contains all the basics for a new knitter and a range of patterns for a variety of items. Some are very simple so are good to start on but then moves on to some more advanced skills including ways to work with more than one colour and using double pointed needles. I'm really a more advanced knitter than this book is designed for but there are some patterns that I am interested in making - there are some nice hat and mittens patterns and I am really looking forward to knitting some leg warmers! This would be a book I would recommend to a novice and the patterns would especially appeal to a younger person.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Price: 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been thinking of getting one of these for a while since I keep seeing it at the start of a couple of my favourite TV shows - the power of advertising! I have to say it seems to be very effective and is quick and easy to use. You just need to move it gently over your feet and soon there are clouds of dead skin and your feet are a lot smoother, I would recommend thinking about where you do your feet as you will be producing a lot of dust! It takes 4 batteries, which does seem rather a lot, but I guess this is why it works so effectively. My roller hasn't needed replacing yet but this won't be a problem as they seem to be widely available.

A God in Every Stone
A God in Every Stone
by Kamila Shamsie
Price: 11.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 15 May 2014
This review is from: A God in Every Stone (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story is an epic tale spanning the period from 1914 to 1930 and the two main characters are Vivian, an Englishwoman with a great love of archaeology, and Qayyum, an Indian who is in the British Indian Army during the war. During the story their paths intersect but it is not until towards the end of the book that they realise many of the connections between them. I find myself torn in my feelings about this book, some sections are beautifully written, the chapters about the war are very moving, some of the chapters about the revolution in Indian are thought provoking and rather horrifying, but on the other hand there are large historical and archaeological descriptions that I found rather dull and somehow I didn't feel gripped by this story. Overall I think this is a well written book but it is not really the genre for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20