Profile for Aurora > Reviews

Content by Aurora

Aurora (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Gloves of Red Silk: A short story of a first war (Short stories of a young girl's first war Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Hope, 23 Jun. 2016
I received this book as a gift from the author.
This is a sequel to The Day the War Came, telling the story of Ruth Imker’s second day at war. It’s a poignant and carefully researched story of a child’s eye view of the war and her resilience at coping with the horrors around her. It also relates the same day from the perspective of her friend and protector Piet ter Haar. In spite of what Ruth and Piet witness there’s a sense of hope in the story. This is a well written and gripping story set against the backdrop of a brief moment in history.

The Day War Came: A short story of a first war (Short stories of a first war Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and Dramatic, 23 Jun. 2016
I was lucky enough to download this when it was on offer free. It’s the moving and atmospheric story of twelve-year old Ruth Imker and her nineteen-year-old protector, Piet Ter Haar, who has been given the task of getting her safely out of Rotterdam as war breaks out. Ruth is good at hiding in the shadows – something she’s been doing for a long time. There’s a fascinating amount of historical detail included as they flee on and on through the streets, which gives the impression of this being a true narrative, although it isn’t. It’s an interesting read, and I felt there was a much longer story waiting to be told about Ruth.

Funny Dinosaurs
Funny Dinosaurs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for dinosaur-mad toddlers, 13 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Funny Dinosaurs (App)
My grandson, aged nearly three, really enjoyed this. Part of it is a story which I read out to him, and there are games incorporated into the story which he can interact with. He enjoys pretending to be scared as a little dinosaur flees from dangerous creatures and plants. He also likes the dinosaur roaring noises. Quite a good game for a free one.

Star Wars Joke Book
Star Wars Joke Book
by LucasFilm

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy for Star Wars fans., 12 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Star Wars Joke Book (Paperback)
This is an excellent little book for young Star Wars fans. I bought it as a gift for my ten year old granddaughter who is obsessed with Star Wars, and she loves it. She entertained us for hours with corny jokes from the book. Some of them are variations on well known jokes, but they work and they're funny, so altogether a success. Of course it helps if you know the films and the characters otherwise you won't really get some of the jokes, but as we're all fans of Star Wars in our family we all found them amusing.

Ravensburger Thomas Night Work Glow in the Dark Puzzle (60 Pieces)
Ravensburger Thomas Night Work Glow in the Dark Puzzle (60 Pieces)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good picture for Thomas fans, 12 Jan. 2016
I bought this for my grandson for Christmas. He's almost three, so really a bit young to do this jigsaw himself. He certainly had a good try though, and managed to jumble it up more than anything, but still he enjoyed trying and loves the picture. He's obsessed with Thomas! After we'd finished it I turned out the lights to see it glow in the dark. Hmm, not very glowy at all! The eyes and the moon glow a bit, but it was a bit of a disappointment really. It's a good quality jigsaw though, that fits together well and it's a nice picture, so if your child is a Thomas fan you can't go wrong. Just don't expect too much from the glow in the dark aspect.

Schmidt Ciro Marchetti Space Station
Schmidt Ciro Marchetti Space Station

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable challenge!, 12 Jan. 2016
The pieces of this jigsaw are good quality card and fit together very well. It's a lovely jigsaw to do as it's such as striking picture. I bought this as a gift for my husband and he loves it, but I helped him do it as we always do jigsaws together. It's quite a challenging one to do as there are so many subtle shades, so not one for the faint-hearted! I'd recommend it for jigsaw fans who like a challenge and want a good quality jigsaw.

Strappal Zinc Oxide Tape 2.5cm x 10m
Strappal Zinc Oxide Tape 2.5cm x 10m
Offered by PhysioStock UK Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality tape, 12 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Strappal Zinc Oxide Tape (Misc.)
This item has Strappal written through the middle, so is the genuine article. It is excellent for medical taping. My husband has been instructed by his physiotherapist to use this brand on his kneecaps. It does the job, but the tricky thing is getting it off. It leaves glue residue which is a nightmare to remove. It also caused some mild skin irritation, but this seems to be due to trying to get the glue off rather than an allergic reaction. It doesn't help if you've got hairy knees!

Microsoft Lumia 550 - Premium TPU Hydro Grip S Line Wave Pattern Silicone Gel Skin Case Cover pouch + Free Screen Protector & Cleaning Cloth
Offered by EXCELLENT ACCESSORIES

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection for my new phone, 12 Jan. 2016
This cover fits perfectly on my phone. All the slots are in the right place and it has textured sides so I can grip it without it slipping out of my hand. I feel now that if I drop my phone it will at least have some protection. My phone is white so as this cover is quite see-through, it ends up looking a pale lilac colour, which is fine.

It comes with a screen protector, which I made a mess of. Unfortunately the little tab that you use to peel off the outer layer gets in the way of aligning the holes over the camera, so I had difficulty getting in the right place. My first attempt was wonky so I had to peel it off and do it again, which is always disastrous as it lets little bits of dust get under the screen protector. So now I've got bits of dust under there which create tiny bubbles. Fortunately they don't show when the screen is on. The image for this item could be deceptive as it shows a screen pen, but doesn't come with one.

Neoprene Camera Case Bag Pouch For SAMSUNG WB200F WB350F WB35F WB50F WB150F WB30F WB250F WB800F, PANASONIC Lumix DMC XS1 SZ3 LF1 SZ8 TZ35 TZ40 TZ60 TZ55 TZ57 TZ70 TZ71 SZ10 FT30, OLYMPUS Tough TG-850 SZ-17 VG-170 XZ-1 TG-3 SH-1 Stylus 1 TG-4 Stylus SH-2, NIKON Coolpix L28 L29 S32 P340 S9900 S6900 S7000 S3700 L31 AW130 S9050 S6700 S9600 S9700 S3600 S5300 S33 Tough, CANON PowerShot S120 SX280 SX600 SX700 SX710 SX610 HS, Canon Ixus 145 150 155 265 160 170 275 HS, FUJIFILM FinePix AX650 JZ700 XP70 XF1 X20 JZ250, SONY Cyber-shot DSC HX50 HX60V RX100 WX80 W810 WX350 WX220 HX90 WX500
Offered by thanksdolphin

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight camera bag, 22 Dec. 2015
My Samsung WB350F fits very neatly into this bag. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't as the depth didn't seem to be enough from the product dimensions given, but there's some stretch in it, which means the camera fits in with no problem. It's a very lightweight bag, easy to just hang from my wrist or pop in my handbag. I do have a carrying case, but it adds a lot of bulk, so I bought this so that I could carry my camera in my pocket or a bag without it getting scratched and knocked about. It's only a single layer with no padding, but it offers enough protection for what I want.

It doesn't look quite as good as it does in the picture. The one in the picture looks smooth and glossy, but really it's more of a matt finish. But for the price, I'm happy with it and it does exactly what I want.

White Winter Hymnal
White Winter Hymnal

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely music for Christmas, 5 Dec. 2015
This review is from: White Winter Hymnal (MP3 Download)
I heard this on the film Christmas with the Coopers and liked it straight away. I'd never even heard of The Fleet Foxes before but loved their voices.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4