Profile for D. J. Wilden > Reviews

Content by D. J. Wilden

D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
What's Going On: Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970
What's Going On: Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Going On, Taste live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970, 5 Nov. 2015
I was fortunate enough to get to see the European premiere of the film in London on 3rd October, since 5th October I have been playing this album virtually non stop, Taste could have been on top of the world musically, this performance proves they were a force to take notice of, Rory Gallagher's playing is inspired, there was a sound made I could not identify until I saw it on the film, Rory actually hitting the strings with the palm of his hand makes this sound. John Wilson on drums leaning in so as not to miss any notes he counters to Rory's, the same with Richie McCracken on bass, Rory leading and they match him note for note on their instruments, Rory pulls them along with unspoken "you can do this". They played on Friday afternoon, a lot of the crowd hadn't arrived by then, after What's Going On (the opening number) the appreciation starts to grow, by the time they leave the stage (for the first time) after I Feel So Good, the crowd are roaring, its like an avalanche or tidal wave, the crowd know they are witnessing something they will never see again, I reckon they could literally have played all night, the crowd would have demanded they stay on stage.

On the way to the festival, due to appallingly bad management, Rory had decided to break up the band, so they played on stage like they were possessed. It is the most amazing, mind blowing, awesome, tremendous set ever, inventive, as Rory introduces Gamblin' Blues he says "we would like to do a bit of bottleneck, hope you like it" - the crowd didn't like it THEY LOVED IT. I know of one of my friends who was actually at this festival and he waited 45 years to hear it again and to see it on the DVD.

After I Feel So Good, Taste leave the stage but the crowd is not happy, they want them back and are very vocal about this, so they come back and play the Muddy Waters song Catfish and this goes off like an atomic bomb, 14 minutes of absolute perfection, the "play" between Rory and John then Rory and Richie is jaw dropping. 3 encores they did, unheard of at the time when the headline bands that weekend were The Who, Free and Jimi Hendrix, Rory proved he could not only hold his own but actually surpass more well known bands, Hendrix was there to hear them and was by all accounts nervous after hearing what Rory was capable of producing with his strat! I can't praise this highly enough. I am a massive massive fan of all things Rory, being the proud owner of 11 albums by Taste, 41 by Rory and 20 of the 23 albums he guested on.

BUY THIS CD AND PLAY IT TO DEATH!!! Then buy another to replace the first which will be worn out through constant playing!

Temperature Rising
Temperature Rising

5.0 out of 5 stars Temperature Rising, Danny Bryant, 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Temperature Rising (Audio CD)
I love Danny's work, the whole album is fantastic, but the song that blew me away was Guntown, superb slide work, Danny's mentor is the great Walter Trout and I will be seeing both of them LIVE on separate dates in November 2015. Blues like blues needs to be played.

The Best Of Taste
The Best Of Taste
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Taste, 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Best Of Taste (Audio CD)
I love all things Rory Gallagher, I've been listening to Taste virtually non stop for over 4 months now, will continue until the end of this year and then alternate with Rory and Taste. The more I listen, the more I hear, little subtle things I missed the previous 100 listenings, always new, always fresh, always inventive.

What s Going On Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 [Blu-ray]
What s Going On Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rory Gallagher

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste at the Isle of Wight 1970, 5 Oct. 2015
I was very fortunate on Saturday 3rd October to be at the European Premiere at the Picturehouse Cinema in London to see this on the big screen, I did have a DVD which I refused to open until after the 3rd. I'm a massive fan of Rory, only discovered him in April 2012. This footage of Taste at the Isle of Wight in 1970 has been a long time coming, worth the wait, hell yeah. High octane, 1 million miles an hour energy, the ESP between Rory, Richie and John is amazing, a joy to see, even more so because it had been decided before they set foot on stage that Taste were disbanding. They played on stage like men possessed. Rory was quite literally on fire, I held my breath several times as I didn't want to miss a single note, his bottleneck slide on Gamblin' Blues is superb, I'll Remember is jaw droppingly awesome and Catfish, took me into orbit and back again several times. I've been playing Taste almost non stop since I got back from Ballyshannon this year, after the 20th International Rory Gallagher Tribute Festival, will be playing the accompanying CD until Christmas this year. Rory was only 22 at this festival and Taste played on the Friday afternoon. The audience at the festival were kinda sleepy and getting lazy, Taste took the stage and woke everyone up with a bang, 4 encores which was unheard of at the time. The buzz I got from watching this for the first time will never go away. Taste were something else. If I could give more than 5 stars I would, a hundred would not be enough!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2016 8:24 PM BST

Fender Celluloid Guitar Picks Plectrums 12 X Random Mixed Pearl Colours (Medium)
Offered by Printed Guitar Picks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fender picks, 19 May 2015
These have been bought to take to Rory Gallaghers grave in Cork, where I shall be visiting in June 2015. Rory played a battered and well worn Sunburst Fender Stratocaster, the first Strat in Ireland. Only right that he gets the right picks for the Strat.

STANDING IN THE SHADOWS
STANDING IN THE SHADOWS

5.0 out of 5 stars King King - Standing In The Shadows, 19 May 2015
This review is from: STANDING IN THE SHADOWS (Audio CD)
I saw King King live in London in March 2015, they were tremendous. I got their new album at the gig and this was the only one of the 3 they have released so far that I didn't have. They are an amazing band, winners of the best British Blues band for 3 years running, the albums are brilliant but seeing them live just puts the cherry on the cake. Can't wait to see them live again somewhere. BUY THIS ALBUM AND BUY THE OTHER 2 AS WELL!!!!! If you love blues then you will love King King!!

Rory Gallagher Live Black Men's T-Shirt, Size XL
Rory Gallagher Live Black Men's T-Shirt, Size XL
Offered by Jekat

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory Gallagher Live T Shirt, 19 May 2015
I'm off to the Rory Gallagher Festival in Ballyshannon this year, so had to have a Rory T shirt, its mandatory to honour the great man. This year being special as its 20 years since Rory passed on.

Strangers On The Run
Strangers On The Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangers on The Run, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Strangers On The Run (Audio CD)
I'm collecting all the albums Rory Gallagher guested on, he plays on the last track on this album, Falsely Accused - his slide is unbelievably amazing, he holds one note for 9 seconds and I could live and die over and over just in those 9 seconds. I have played the rest of the album but it was bought primarily for the last track. Its a good album.

Top Home Solutions Sturdy Double Adjustable Garment Clothes Rail With Shoe Shelf Chrome / Black
Offered by brands online uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Double clothes rail, 29 April 2015
My daughter doesn't have room for a wardrobe in her bedroom so this is ideal, was very easy to put together and it holds a lot of stuff, mostly T shirts and the shelf on the bottom has shoe boxes on, not heavy but sturdy and its got wheels to its easy to move too.

Juke
Juke

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Walter, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Juke (Audio CD)
Blues harp, nobody does it better than Little Walter, my kinda blues, gutsy, gritty, seductive and sexy, just totally amazing, floats my boat every time, blues is my thing, it feeds my soul like no other music can!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16