Profile for Dan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
War Horse
War Horse

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 2 July 2012
This review is from: War Horse (Kindle Edition)
I read the first page and I was hooked.

A story being narrated by a horse. Joey is a special horse. The friendship between Joey, Topthorn, Albert and Emilie is wonderful to read.

Even though this is a childrens story it will appeal to adults too.

Once I started reading, I could not stop and finished the book in half a day.

Read it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Short Circuit: A Guide to the Art of the Short Story (Salt Guides for Readers and Writers)
by Vanessa Gebbie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant book for writers, 2 July 2012
I love this book.

I have already started making notes and highlighting specific tips from the book on almost every page.

This book is essentially a collection of essays on various facets of the short story by published authors. Every chapter contains an insight. It has made me a better reader and a better writer.

I think this book is good for writing novels too and not just for short story writing.

Worth the price!

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read - I strongly recommend it, 13 April 2012
This is an excellent cycling book. At 77p its a steal. Setting aside the price, it is still a very well written book.

I still recommend buying and reading this book.

Why?
Three reasons:
1. It is a fun read.
2. It is inspiring to read about Dave's adventures on two wheels and his passion shines through.
3. It will get you back on your bike.

I throughly enjoyed reading this book. I relate to this book because, I too go through some of the doubts and obsessions with regards to runing, cycling, climbing etc. And after reading Dave's book, I am not feeling guilty about the three bikes in my garage and even thinking about buying another one.

I look forward to more books on Dave's adventures.

Keep writing and riding.

OMM Adventure Light 20
OMM Adventure Light 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent day sack, 29 Sept. 2011
This review is from: OMM Adventure Light 20 (Misc.)
This is an excellent day sack. It is very good for runners as its extremely light. It has good side pouches to carry water bottles and is also designed to accommodate a bladder. I enjoy using this bag and recommend them.

Stairlift to Heaven: Growing Old Disgracefully
Stairlift to Heaven: Growing Old Disgracefully

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning - may make you laugh out loud, 29 Sept. 2011
Please do not read this book, if you have a hot cup of coffee in one hand and your kindle in another. The consequence can be disastrous. I first started with Dear Coca cola and after laughing my guts out moved to this book. This one is even more hilarious. I have brought all his books now and hope to read them all. I recommend his books. Worth reading.

The Throwback
The Throwback
by Tom Sharpe

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic Genius, 8 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
This book is a sheer comic genius. There are very few books which can make me laugh out loud and this is one of them. The writing is wonderful and the characters are eccentric. I started with 'Wilt' which was ok and moved to this one which I found hilarious. I have now ordered 'Riotous assembly' too.

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Three Bent Links
Three Bent Links

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stories, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Three Bent Links (Kindle Edition)
I loved all three stories in this book. I liked Morris story the most as racing is an inherent nature in me and I too like to race during my commute into work. The descriptions and narrations are something that I have not seen done before.

Hope you enjoy these stories as much as I did.

Gifted
Gifted
by Nikita Lalwani

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Gifted (Paperback)
Just 3 main characters and it still kept me reading into the wee hours of the night. The writing is beautiful and all the characters are wonderfully drawn. I felt like the characters were real breathing people. Rumi's pain and anguish as she grows up was something I could relate to. The confession scene reminded me of an event in my own life.

Nikita Lalwani is a talented writer, I hope she writes another novel soon.

Born to Run: The Rise of Ultra-running and the Super-athlete Tribe
Born to Run: The Rise of Ultra-running and the Super-athlete Tribe
by Christopher McDougall

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - makes you want to head out for a run (barefoot), 5 Jan. 2011
I loved this book.

Christopher starts with a question that had haunted me as well 'Why do I keep getting injured'

In the process of answering this question, he weaves a wonderful story of the Raramuri Indians and ultra distance runners. At the end of the book, it felt like I knew most of the ultra runners on first name basis.

It did encourage me to chuck my shoes and buy a pair of vibram five fingers. Be warned, it could do the same to you too!!

If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
by Brenda Ueland

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - a bit too serious, 5 Jan. 2011
I did not enjoy this book.

It seems to make the whole art/craft of writing a bit too seriously.

Somehow it did not strike a chord with me.

I have enjoyed 'Bird by bird' by Ann Lamont more.

Page: 1 | 2