Profile for Barry Leslie > Reviews

Content by Barry Leslie

Barry Leslie (Peterborough)

Fretboard Roadmaps: The Essential Guitar Patterns That All the Pros Know and Use (Guitar Techniques)
by Fred Sokolow

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth more that every penny spent., 19 Nov. 2006
Consider this. I bought this book (including the postage) for a total of £5.56. now if you consider that a single 1/2 hour guitar lesson will set you back upwards of £15 this is an absoloute bargain. I have been playing for over 20 years and have been a frequent dabbler. I've done this and that, but never found a way of bringing together what I understand about music.

What this book does, is bring those loose strands together and put them into 12 achieveable lessons. I am currently at about lesson 5 and have been amazed at how much I actually understand about scales, chord formations and key tones.

I would recommend that the reader have some basic understanding of the guitar before using this book, but it is not essential. If I were beginning I would look at something like Begin Guitar - by Douglas J Noble as this will give you the understanding of the easier open chords. This book focuses more on barre chords and sliding scales, which could be daunting for the beginner.

This book has already made me consolidate what I understand and has taught me a lot. I will definitely be purchasing the Fretboard Roadmap Rock book when I am done with this one. Highly recommended to all, especially intermediate player. This book will improve your playing!

101 Guitar Tips (Book & CD)
101 Guitar Tips (Book & CD)
by Adam St. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Yes, Yes! Buy This Book., 1 Oct. 2006
As a guitar dabbler for 20 years I have never really got to grips with the bread and butter of guitars; chords and scales. This book covers those in spadefuls as well as giving both the learner and more experienced guitarist some useful tips on such diverse topics as fret maintenance, setting up a recording, setting distortion and overdrive and loads more. The extra bang for your buck comes in the guise of the CD that comes with example scales and chords to play with, but even better, with 2-3 minutes of backing tracks to perfect those rock/country/blues/jazz riffs. An absolute bargain!

Grub on a Grant
Grub on a Grant
by Cas Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, highly recommneded., 24 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Grub on a Grant (Paperback)
I first bought this book when I was a penniless student in 1997. Ihave used this book this over the years and although I pick up the book occassionally now, I still find some easy to use recipes. I have made banoffee pie for the first time today and it was fantastic. A word of warning however, Cas Clarke does like to recommend using tinned and packet products, but you can adapt many of her recipes, and that's what makes this such a versatile book. Don't hang around, just go and buy it!

Nokia N80 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Nokia N80 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Offered by KICKmobiles® London

4.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of kit, 18 Aug. 2006
Let me start by stating that this would get 5 stars, but for the fact the battery life is ropey. That said, I would highly recommend this phone. I got this on an upgrade, despite wanting a sat nav phone. I was unsure whether I would like it, but this is the first smartphone that I've had that doesn't slow down the computer and synchronises perfectly with a pc to give you a great little handset.

This is further enhanced by the QuickOffice application that allows users to view Word, Excell and Powerpoint documents on the phone, although users can't create or edit them. Users can use the notepad to make notes on and I have ben able to store in note form, a 3 mb document.

As well as this, the phone has all the regular goodies, like media player, fm radio, games and a 3 megapixel camera as well as a forward -facing camera (for video calling). The phone also has an interesting voice dialling system that doesn't require the user to record all their contacts.

What impressed me most about this was the fact that here you have a compact phone that is packed with features, the bluetooth connections are nice and smooth and the display is crisp and sharp. This phone is one that I find simple and straightforward yet highly developed.

Highly recommended

Happiness In Magazines
Happiness In Magazines

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloute Class - This album is a grower, 13 May 2006
This review is from: Happiness In Magazines (Audio CD)
This is an album that marks Coxon's arrival as an established solo artist. The big song from this album has to be Freakin' Out, however there is so much more to this ablbum. Bitter-sweet bundle of Misery and Are You Ready? are finely crafted tracks that deserve more recognition than they currently get.

This album offers the listener an elcectic mix of styles, but unlike the randomness that his earlier albums suffered from, this is a strong, cohesive structure.

I found the album difficult to listen to at first but it takes a few listens to get in to. I found that I really began to love this four or five months after I bought it.

Miss is at you peril!