Profile for Cheshire Dave > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Rattan Set, 17 April 2011
We bought this as a stop-gap, hoping to pick up a larger set in the autumn when prices will, with luck, drop by half. More comfortable than the aluminium metal-slat version chairs. Table is easier than expected to assemble, compared to a previous, similar set. Just don't tighten everything with the Allen key until it's all put together. Chairs were ready assembled.

Our version has seats that look darker than shown. Chocolate brown-ish blend, and very nice. Table glass is ripple effect clear, maybe slight green tinge. and not frosted. Dark brown slightly speckled finish. There is a warning about not using very hot or very cold items on top of it e.g. a casserole straight from the oven, I guess they mean.

We actually bought this locally much cheaper - for just £35 - at a large 'home bargain' kind of shop on a mini shopping complex. The sort of shop that sells this stuff, shampoo, cushions, mirrors, chocolate, garden stuff and so on. So I'm not sure that paying much more than that would be a bargain.

Hozelock Multi Spray Gun
Hozelock Multi Spray Gun

2.0 out of 5 stars Split / leaks when stored over winter + UPDATE, 5 April 2011
I don't usually post bad reviews but... Stored in a shed over winter after being used twice in late Autumn. In April, tried for the 3rd time. Bad leaks have developed on the seam in the plastic under the spray head. Water sprays out of the handle under pressure, instead of via the spray head. I guess the icy winter 2010/11 may have done that but it's a pretty poor show for a gardening item. Hozelock have offered a (possible) replacement under 1-year guarantee, but only if I return it. As it was half-price at the end of the season, it will cost almost as much to return as it did to buy.
If they replace by a better one or refund postage (unlikely), I will report back with joy.

UPDATE April 2011 - Hozelock replaced with an identical model under 1-year guarantee, so I've upgraded from 1 to 2 stars. It took about 2 weeks, a few emails and I had to post the old one back, which could have cost as much as the original 'end of season' price, but I eventually used the 2nd class, no signature service. (I also had to spend an hour picking up from Royal Mail as it was too big to fit through my large letterbox.)

This is a bit churlish, but I thought Hozelock might send me at least a different model that would NOT split down the handle after winter. After all, it's a garden item - do I have to store ALL my Hozelock hoses, reels etc in a warm place indoors, and not just into a shed, for winter?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2011 9:11 AM BST

P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank
Offered by Direct Entertainment Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloke review - warning - awful awful awful. And depressing, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Oh NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O. Another ladyfilm about romantic letters from dead husbands (that's not a plot spoiler, although I did miss the first few minutes) mysteriously appearing. (See 'The Lake House'.)
I sat - well, reclined, sipping XB to relieve the boredom - through this last night and it was one of the longest nights of my life.

Once again (see 'The Lake House') I couldn't understand who was who, and what was what but, luckily, my wife was on hand to explain everything in minute detail. She loved the film, by the way and, mysteriously, asked why I couldn't be like that all the time. Well, there isn't enough paper or ink in the world for everyone to be constantly writing mysterious letters.

I think it's a bit like S I T City (which I've never watched but have read about) but in the country, although there are New Yorky bits, too. It's about this person, who is a kind of Blue Cross Julia Roberts, trying to find a bloke to replace her irreplaceable dead husband. Wherever she goes, he's second-guessed her and left a mysterious romantic letter waiting for her. That's about it, although she gets through a few blokes in her fruitless search for man nirvana.

Gerard Butler (great in 300 when he was half man / half CG with a beard) has scary pearly teeth, as does the BCJR.

At the end of the film, I politely asked my wife what the film was called. 'Why do you want to know, chuck?'. 'Because I NEVER EVER WANT TO WATCH THAT FILM AGAIN'.

I'm sorry, I just can't write any more. I'm already dreading the day (probably Valentine's Day 2012) when I sit through The Notebook. I hope I can understand that one.

I liked 'The Piano' though! AND those crazy 'The Tudors'. I also felt like chewing a door after watching PSILY.

Verve Remixed Christmas
Verve Remixed Christmas
Offered by davehopetrading

3.0 out of 5 stars Xmas-rated: not the best one in the series, 15 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Verve Remixed Christmas (Audio CD)
OK, but not the best in this interesting series, where jazz classics are messed around with (in a good way, if you're not too precious about your classics) by present-day producers.

I've listened to the whole series on Spotify, and Vol 1 is my favourite and ideal for summertime / barbecue chilled listening. But then again, having to choose Christmas-themed tracks greatly narrows the choice down from Verve's extensive premium jazz back catalogue. Includes an interesting-but just OK -reggaefied Billie Holiday track.

Music quality on this particular Xmas-slanted volume is a bit variable, although SILENT NIGHT (it's not very silent!) and the Mel Torme remix are pretty good. Give everything a fewe listens before judging. A couple - tracks 5 and 7 - are unlistenable for me. So best to listen to everything first.

Actual sound quality (hi-fi-ness) is good, considering the age of some tracks. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

USB Netbook / Notebook cooler, with a single fan and blue LED light, fast del...
Offered by All in One - UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Netbooks only; not for small laptops, 15 Jan. 2011
In case anyone was wondering, I thought I'd point out that this is def just for small netbooks/notebooks, so the product title is correct.
A small laptop would be too heavy, pressing down on the fan and causing it to make a grating noise, then stop. (I tried it.)
So I'll just be using it for our netbook.
(I got my cooler in a pound shop, too, like others have said.)

The Christmas Choir [DVD]
The Christmas Choir [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Gedrick
Offered by simply-well-priced

2.0 out of 5 stars Afternoon TV Movie, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Christmas Choir [DVD] (DVD)
Sorry to be the odd one out, but I found this to be dreadful. I'm not a film critic, but couldn't find anything to really like. It's kind of a chick flick, but for the, er, slightly older chick. The plot (look away if you can't guess it now)..................

Workaholic accountant gets dumped, bumps into homeless guy in bar, goes back to guy's hostel, forms choir, has a few ups and down, sings in front of city mayor, has row with choir, alcoholic father and new girlfrfiend, then gets back with choir, alcoholic father and new girlfriend, fills cathedral to raise money when hostel catches fire and has happy ending.

I'm unfortunately going to have to stick to It's A Wonderful Life for my traditional Xmas emotional-roller-coaster-fest.
Or Cinema Paradiso if it's not Christmas time, mistletoe and wine.

Fantasia 2000 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Fantasia 2000 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Pixote Hunt
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Reply to the Amazon review, 29 Dec. 2010
I'm reviewing the Fantasia 2000 Blu-Ray from the Fantasia 1 / Fantasia 2000 double-pack released late 2010. Called 'Special Edition' on the inner box. Start Googling if you need to know the difference between Platinum, Diamond and Special - it's totally confusing. probably best watched in the dark, with sound turned up to 11. As I watched at 5am, sound was turned down to 2, and I don't have any Dolby stuff yet.

Here are some extracts from the Amazon review, with my own feedback / opinion, and from an adult's point of view... I hope it helps a little bit to describe each section.

"Fantasia 2000... still more often than not has the feel of walking in its predecessor's footsteps as opposed to creating its own path..."
Not a problem. I liked the way that (I think) the new version stylistically is true to the original version. I'm no animation expert, but e.g. the way water and waves are drawn still, to me, looks like hand-drawn water and waves from Pinnochio, for example.

"A family of whales swimming and soaring to Respighi's The Pines of Rome is magical to watch, but ends all too soon..." About the right length for me. Good sequence, lots of, if not all, computer animation.

"A forest sprite's dance of life, death, and rebirth to Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring too clearly echoes the original Fantasia's Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria sequence."
It's not Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, as used in Fantasia 1; it's the last couple of sections of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite edited down into 5 or 6 minutes.
Don't worry about the "echoes", it's the last sequence and the best one, although I think it's the Firebird (Stravinsky) music swaying me. Fantastic. The music's been moved around a bit to fit the storyline. I reckon that's happened elsewhere, but I don't know the other music well enough to be sure. Style - stag from Bambi, snow, pine forests, realism mixed with fantasy in style, and there is an all-consuming firebird character (formed from the lava of a volcano) that is a force of evil and destruction, unlike the original ballet. Fittinf finale.

"Hans Christian Andersen's "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" is a perfect narrative set to Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No. 2..."
OK but not the best for me. Again, I think it's a music thing. Style - Nutcracker. Appropriate Beauty and The Beast's "2D with shading" to create 3D effects, but def not Toy Story style 3D. Dark attic rooms, toys, roaring flames, packs of black sewer rats with red eyes, and a good 'trip down the sewers' sequence which is like a short, midnight blue version of Aladdin's lava carpet ride.

"Donald Duck's guest appearance as the assistant to Noah (of ark fame) set to Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance marches is a welcome companion piece (though not an equal) to The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the one original Fantasia piece included here..."
OK but the prescence of the well-known characters spoils it a bit for me - probably trying to please the whole family and keep the kids interested. Again, Beauty and The Beast in animation style.
It annoyed me that the Mickey sequence from Fantasia 1 is reused verbatim.

"The high point of Fantasia 2000, though, is a fantastic day-in-the-life sequence of 1930s New York City set to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and animated in the style of cartoonist Al Hirschfeld; it's a perfect melding of music, story, and animation..." Agree, except it outstayed it's welcome, for me. Felt like 15 minutes, but maybe it was less. Style - Al Hirschfield, strange colours (in a good way) - wafer-thin, fast-moving spikey lines that even my Blu-Ray player struggled to interpret in the busy, finely-drawn sections.

"The music is provided by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra... with negligible intros by Steve Martin, Bette Midler, Itzhak Perlman, James Earl Jones, and others. " Agree - never liked the original 'interruptions', and don't like these either, although they try to move the presenters round a bit more on screen, to stop you getting bored.

Extras - very long docu about the similarites between S Dali and W Disney. Gets more interesting towards the end. Then a short collaboration (SD and WD) animation called 'Destino', newly computer animated in 2003 from loads of sketches found in the vaults. Like a typical (you know which style I mean) Dali painting come to life.

Solerebels Men's Keepon Abissinian Pure Slip-on
Solerebels Men's Keepon Abissinian Pure Slip-on

3.0 out of 5 stars Massive (well, tiny) sizing issue, 27 Nov. 2010
I really liked the look and recycled concept of these shoes, but...

I am size 10.5 (Clarks brand). I can get away with 11 (other brands). These were, unfortunately, way, way undersized - more like a UK 9, although labelled as 11 on the sole.

I think Amazon accept shoe returns with sizing issues and refund your postage costs, too, so I will report back if they don't.

Great shoes to look at, but sizing has to be sorted - I read many reviews online which quoted problem sizing, so was worried they would be too big, but never expected for a second that they would be so tiny.

The shoes themselves look super-comfy with a suede top, beige cotton (or similar) coarse-weave lining and the expected 'real tyre' (not just mashed up and re-formed) sole and side section. How I wish they fitted.

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Chronograph Rose-Gold Tone Watch #AT0563-01X
Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Chronograph Rose-Gold Tone Watch #AT0563-01X

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really rose gold in colour..., 1 Oct. 2010
My only real reservation about this is that, although the watch face itself has rose gold (coppery-coloured) metalwork, the hands and the whole of the outer case seem to me to be - well, actually ARE, I reckon - the usual "yellow gold". (I wear a plain rose gold ring, so could compare side-by-side. UPDATE - I now have 3 rose gold watches and they are all much more of a copper colour than this one.) If you look very closely at the Amazon pic, you'll see what I mean.

My main reason for buying was because I wanted a rose gold watch. Although slightly disappointed, I'll still keep it because of the 'needs no battery' Eco-Drive function which is worth its weight in, er, batteries.

I'm a big Rotary Revelation/rectangular watch fan. This Citizen, although a bit lighter in weight, hits the spot, too, with its dark brown dial and strap giving it a slightly different edge from many watches.

Everybody Knows
Everybody Knows

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing..., 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Everybody Knows (Audio CD)
...as the Pet Shop Boys so wisely sang, but here is a review of the original album in case anyone's wondering if it's worth buying in the first place...

Of all the last year or so's less well-known SAW Re-releases, this is up near the top, along with Lonnie Gordon. If you like the SAW heyday sounds and songs, you'll love this.

Apart from track 8 (the original album comprises the first 10 tracks), and the slow track 10, the songs are the usual brilliant, hook-filled stormers. 'Climb to the Top of a Mountain' is a 100% neglected SAW classic.

So if you don't mind the cheeky chapesse image, don't worry about not liking this. Sonia's voice is fine, and not half as lightweight and squeaky as some SAW artists. Lonnie Gordon could blast her into the middle of next week, of course, but she could do that to the 3 tenors in a head-to-head. It would be a tough call between these two SAW 2 re-releases.

Will get back later when I've heard the remixes, but I might wait for the price to drop a bit, first - why does single-album Sonia cost more than double-album J Donovan?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2010 1:42 AM BST

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17