Profile for K. Morrison > Reviews

Content by K. Morrison

K. Morrison "kirmildew" (Lincs, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles)
Duncton Wood (The Duncton Chronicles)
by William Horwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfair description!, 13 Jan 2009
Everything I could say about this book has already been said; I think it is a lovely read and I was sad to finish it. Then I was pleased to look on here and discover that there are more!
My main reason for reviewing here is to complain that the "product description" for this book is grossly unfair. It's not a description of the story for the benefit of a new reader, it's a hatchet job review by somebody who clearly disliked the book for whatever reason. All of the subsequent reviews show that the reading public love this book, so why is the author stuck with such a nasty, biased review serving as the Amazon introduction to this great book?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2009 5:28 PM GMT

Sin City [DVD] [2005]
Sin City [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't give a bad review if you haven't read the comics, 4 July 2006
This review is from: Sin City [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Oh, I despair of the people who have come on here and given this stunning film a bad review without even glancing at the comics from which it was taken. The whole point of this film is that it is a frame- by- frame adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City comics, and if you have "no intention" of looking at or appreciating them for what they are then you will not appreciate this film.

For my part, I had only read one of the comics when I watched but I soon borrowed the others. The dialogue, the black- and- white, the splashes of vivid colour, the unrealism; it's all supposed to be like that.

I think the characters were all fabulously cast; Bruce Willis is perhaps a little young for Hartigan, but he plays the world- weary, beaten down cop extremely well.

Mickey Rourke is unrecognisable as brutal killer- with- a- heart Marv. Apparently when Frank Miller saw Rourke in his full Marv make up, he was actually quite wrong- footed and taken aback; it was as if Marv had stepped from the page and come to life.

Elijah Wood shrugs off the residue of cuddly Frodo Baggins and is creepily unnerving in his role as dead- eyed, baby faced monster Kevin.

The women are beautiful, deadly and smell like angels should smell; the men are either black- hearted killers or misunderstood anti- heroes willing to die for what is right. Evil is challenged, restitution is sought, bodies are concealed and men beat each others' brains out in smoky alleys behind sleazy bars. Every character, line and backdrop is a cliche. But as one whole giant cliche it WORKS and is the most well- crafted, watchable film I've seen in a long time.

Hellboy [DVD] [2004]
Hellboy [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ron Perlman
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual comic action movie, 23 July 2005
This review is from: Hellboy [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I had never heard of Hellboy until I saw the posters for this film- I was intrigued, but still didn't see it until it was on DVD. So glad I did... I am a fan of films like X-Men and Judge Dredd, so I thought another comic adaptation would be kind of ok. This is so much different from any other film I've seen; the hero is a massive red demon, cigar- smoking, cynical, rude and offensive. The leading lady is neurotic, angry, reluctant and not a typically beautiful heroine. The plot is utterly peculiar, with many odd surprises and turns. The characters are intruguing: the uber- intelligent fishman Abe; the mad monk Rasputin, slain many times but reborn through blood; the CGI demons which are carbon- copies of Cthulhu, slobbering and shaking their shaggy tentacles. My favourite by far, however, is the best baddie ever; the PVC- clad, wall- climbing, knife- wielding, gasmasked, surgically- altered, undead Nazi ninja. The action moves from the hustle of the city to the snowy wastes of Russia, through an awesomely massive underground network of tunnels, chasms and traps hidden beneath a Russian graveyard. There are Nazis, Elder demons, alien dimensions, talking corpses, pyrokinetics and visions of Armageddon. Fantastic! Stock up on munchies and beer, clear your brain and lose yourself in the utterly strange world of Hellboy.

Anchorman - The Legend Of Ron Burgundy [DVD]
Anchorman - The Legend Of Ron Burgundy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm now a Ferrell fan!, 23 July 2005
I was ordered to watch this film by a male friend, and I did so under duress because I hadn't seen Will Ferrell in anything apaprt from trailers for Elf, which didn't look like my 'thing' to be honest. How indebted to my friend I am, for this is now in my top 3 favourite films. The humour will either be a direct bullseye hit or will bypass you altogether; I started hooting during the opening credits and didn't really stop. In agreement with another reviewer, it really is a Marmite film!

There are so many lines to take for your own and quote, I couldn't really spoil the fun too much by listing my favourites; but if this film strikes a chord with your sense of humour you will strip it of your favourite lines and use them in your conversations. It is also fun to spot the many cameos, ranging from Jack Black to Ben Stiller- even to Tim Robbins, eternally of Shawshank fame, in a curly wig and turtleneck sweater.

This film is never, ever meant to touch on seriousness- a skirmish between rival news teams escalates into full- scale brutality with many inventive weapons and a high body count; Baxter the dog saves his master by telling a story to a giant she- bear; the two leads have a violent office brawl with thrown typewriters and savage beating; I could go on but why spoil the silliness? I will end by saying that if you are buying this on DVD, the "Afternoon Delight" video on the extras is inspired and had tears running down my face. I love it- maybe you will too!

M is for Malice
M is for Malice
by Sue Grafton

5.0 out of 5 stars Such believable characters!, 23 Jun 2005
This review is from: M is for Malice (Paperback)
I have read a few of the alphabet series, in no particular order, and thought every one of them brilliant. I love Kinsey Millhone, she is flawed enough to be funny, believable and human. This outing had me hooked from the off, and when she found Guy Malek I felt like I knew the man. How I wished they would get together! I was so sad at the events that unfolded, and the cruel twist as the truth about Guy's honour among his dishonest brothers was revealed. When Kinsey found the note in her car, I nearly wept- but read the book to find out everything for yourself. You won't regret it- the characters are so real, if you will excuse the tired cliche, I feel as if I know them by now. Guy Malek is another one to add to the list of people I forget aren't real and never have been.

Scooby-Doo 2 - Monsters Unleashed [DVD] [2004]
Scooby-Doo 2 - Monsters Unleashed [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Freddie Prinze Jr.
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 1.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first outing, 27 May 2005
Having been subject to both of these films every other day thanks to my daughter being bought the double box- set, (thanks, auntie Michele!!) I feel I can review with authority!
This one feels much more gelled together than the first film. The characters fit in a lot better with their surroundings- Coolsville seems just as cartoony and two- dimensional as the main characters, but in a good way. It means there can be big creepy old buildings and abandoned factories and the like for the Gang to poke about in! The addition of Seth Green is, for me, always welcome; his character is Velma's rather geeky-but-hot-underneath love interest. Well, I think he's hot... But he and the other new characters are a lot more likeable than the characters in the first film, like Shaggy's blonde girlfriend-cum-monster, who never really appealed. I didn't care if she copped a branch in the face in the first film, but I didn't want Seth Green to turn out to be the baddie in this one! You'll have to watch it to find out if he is. It's strictly another no- brainer like the last film, and Scooby is still rather flat and charmless, but the kids will love it and you may find yourself laughing along too.

Realms of Tolkien: Images of Middle-Earth
Realms of Tolkien: Images of Middle-Earth
by J.R.R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars Much food for the imagination, 27 May 2005
This book is lovely; it would still be an interesting study for someone who had never read a sentence of Tolkien. It simply contains a collection of pictures from various artists, depicting scenes from Tolkien's books through their imaginations. It makes the reader look into their own imagination; thinking "Hey, that's just how I pictured that!" or "No, that's completely wrong- it should be like this!" is interesting. From the uber- detailed watercolour work of Alan Lee to the simplistic, almost cartoony creations of Cor Blok, every picture is different and makes the mind tick. Buy one for your coffee table!

Scooby-Doo - The Movie: He's Live And Un-Leashed (2002)[DVD]
Scooby-Doo - The Movie: He's Live And Un-Leashed (2002)[DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Lillard
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm... it's okay, 27 May 2005
This film could have been SO much better...
Think of how sharp, witty and watchable Monsters, Inc. was; why didn't the writers read the same script- writing guide as those guys? There are many jokes, they are just of the make- you- chuckle- once type, instead of raising a laugh again and again. The writers have gone for quantity of gags rather than quality. However, being of a childish bent I did laugh heartily at the farting contest. Probably because I'm British though...
Like many other reviewers, I agree that Matthew Lillard was seemingly born for the role as Shaggy, and is just voice- perfect. All of the main characters make an OK job of their parts, but I couldn't help thinking that Freddie Prinze Jr. just didn't sit right as the original idea of Fred from the cartoons.
My main problem is with Scooby; with the whole world of CGI at their fingertips, they came up with a rather amateurish- looking creation which didn't charm me at all. I was particularly irritated that the animators gave him 'pricked' ears; it made him look less lovable than the cartoon Scooby and this barbaric ear cutting practice is illegal in Britain. I know it's a cartoon dog but it just looked wrong and the thought that Scooby himself had been given 'pricked' ears made me rather sad! Anyway, I digress; if you have kids they'll love it, though if they are of a delicate constitution they might find the monsters a bit scary. My daughter adores both Scooby- Doo films; but hey, she IS three.

The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars the detail is just as important!, 1 Feb 2005
I started this book when I was 15. I finished it when I was around 22; mainly because life kept interfering (squeezing out a child and whatnot). But I found that the characters and plot were so easy to recall and so vivid that I could remember where I had got to. There are people who say that the detail is boring and gets in the way of the story; you can't have the story without the detail! I have never read a book which is so thoroughly comprehensive in its background. I would rather have a full and rich background than a scant one which leaves one wondering about aspects of the characters' lives or histories.
The story, though slow in unfolding, is never dull to my mind. (look at the difference between film and book; eight or more years between Bilbo's party and Gandalf's return, as opposed to three days in the film!)I think the people who say it is too dull and detailed just can't appreciate that Tolkien has constructed a full, whole, absolutely complete IMAGINARY history of a whole pre- Man Earth that is near flawless and believable in its entirety. I love it- and I don't even own any Elf ears or pretend swords!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2009 8:48 PM GMT

The Ring [DVD] [2003]
The Ring [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars better than original..., 13 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I saw this version before the much- lauded original and I thoroughly enjoyed it... very creepy effects, an intriguing storyline and a horrifying twist near the end which I didn't see coming. When I saw the original, however, I was slightly disappointed; after so much had been made of it, I expected it to far outshine this version. In my opinion, the remake has greater depth and is more streamlined. I know the Japanese films have a style and charm all of their own- I loved The Eye and Battle Royale, among others- but I agree with a previous reviewer in that parts which could have been made terrifying were just not scary. The original Sadako making people die with their mouths open wasn't as jolting as the 0.5 second glimpse of the dead American girl in the cupboard, say. Added parts such as the horses on the beach and the escaped horse on the ferry were very well integrated. There were some parts of the original which just didn't feel right; the psychic and the volcano, etc. This version has more realism, if that can be said of a horror film. I loved it- you'll either agree with me or think it is too far from the original to be worth anything.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4