ARRAY(0xb1c4b180)

Profile for Capgras Delusion > Reviews

Content by Capgras Delusion

Capgras Delusion (Glasgow)

Gusti Leather Genuine Stationery Pencil Pen Case Art Pouch Office School University Campus Vintage Brown P6
Offered by Gusti Leather
Price: 16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Wonderful Serendipity!, 22 April 2013
A long time ago, when I was a kid growing up in Glasgow, I decided I was going to be a writer.

Since the age of seven, I had spent my days and nights immersed in the worlds of The Famous Five and The Chalet School. It was an escape from the dreariness of Scottish rain, bickering brothers and a restrictive, harsh Catholic schooling where we would be given the belt for such travesties as getting ink on our fingers.

I was ten years old and was reading Little Women when I fell in love with the idea of being a writer. Jo was a tomboy like me, and she wanted to write books. And I wanted to be like Jo. Somewhat nervously (for I was a child who craved approval), I told my mother that I no longer wanted to be a nurse and that I was going to start writing my novel that very day. She didn't laugh; instead she went out and bought me a fine pen and pencil set and a beautiful leather pencil case.

I loved that pencil case. It gave me the confidence to write essays at school that put me straight to the top of the class, because it had been bought for me by someone who believed in me. For the life I wanted, it contained all the tools I needed. It went everywhere with me and I had it until I was 16.

Recently, I was looking on Amazon for a good fountain pen when I came across this beautiful leather pencil case, and suddenly I was transported back across the years ... When it arrived, it was everything I had hoped it to be - the smell, the feel, the association with times and places that had seemed redolent with potential and creativity.

I can't say I have started my masterpiece just yet but this little case goes into my bag every day, keeping my pens tidily together instead of scattered at the bottom. Every time I take it out I am reminded of my ten-year-old self and I feel inspired yet again to get started on that book one day soon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 10:47 PM GMT

HTC 8X Windows Phone Premium PU Leather Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black/Tan
Offered by ClickJunkie
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and good value., 14 April 2013
Quite a nice cover, phone is VERY secure in it (difficult to remove it!) and it feels good in the hand. I like the handy card slots for keeping bus pass and rail tickets.

Qualtex Dust Bags for Henry & Hetty Numatic Vacuum Cleaners Pack Of 10
Qualtex Dust Bags for Henry & Hetty Numatic Vacuum Cleaners Pack Of 10
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the original!, 21 Feb 2012
These bags are excellent - the same in every aspect as the ones that came with the original Hetty except that the material is maybe a little stiffer. But it certainly seems to have the 5 layers that are required for a bag like this to work effectively. The seams are heavily stitched so no chance of bursting and the cuff part is plastic with a little rubber ring inside, just like the original. I think they represent good value for money, and they came within 48 hours of my ordering them so I am very pleased!

Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red
Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The kindle is now truly hands-free!, 23 Jan 2012
Being an avid reader,I bought the Kindle 3 last year as I have problems with my hands and I expected it to be lighter and easier than holding a book. Admittedly, it was, but I still had to hold on to it with one hand. Not a big deal, you may say, but when your hand tends to go into a stiff spasm, or your elbow locks up while you keep it at a 45-90 degree angle, then you look for other ways of doing things.

This little gadget is wonderful. It props up to any angle that suits you and it frees your hands and arms to relax, hold tea,stick them under the bedcovers or whatever.

I love it. If you have aching hands or elbow joints - or if you just like an easy life - buy this! (It is also sturdy enough to protect the Kindle when you take it out and about.)

New Mens Navy Blue Faux Suede Luxury Slippers Size UK 8
New Mens Navy Blue Faux Suede Luxury Slippers Size UK 8
Offered by Crazy Toes
Price: 12.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Come up on the small side!, 6 Jan 2012
Very comfortable and worth the money I paid but be advised that they are at least a size smaller than indicated!Also, the box they came in was thin and weak and it had been stuffed into an envelope - thus, one completely flattened box on arrival so I could not use it to wrap up as a gift at Christmas. The slippers themselves are good, though, and as others have said, the sole is thick and has treads so ideal for going out to the bin etc and very suitable for elderly. They are also smart looking and not at all sloppy or saggy! One star off for dubious sizing and rubbish packaging!

Scratch
Scratch
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars If you scratch below the surface ..., 9 April 2011
This review is from: Scratch (Kindle Edition)
Before writing this review, I had a quick look at the tags and, while most of them are relevant - Glasgow, black humour, romance etc - I was surprised to note that there was no reference to the notion of friendship, for this is also a story about what friendship means, with all its strengths, weaknesses and, occasionally, heartbreak.

The central action revolves round Jim and Paula who meet again after twelve years and who find that the chemistry that once existed between them is still there. Unfortunately(for Jim, at least), Paula is now married and Jim decides that he does not want to progress further in the relationship until she is a free woman. They continue to meet for drinks, however, and share the occasional stolen kiss, presenting a veneer of casual friendship to outsiders. But herein lies the tension - we get to know Jim well as he shares with us his feelings and emotions but we learn virtually nothing about Paula. We are as confused about her feelings for Jim as Jim is himself. This is clever writing - we are kept in suspense about this relationship right to the end of the book.

The plot itself is deceptively simple and perhaps one that resonates personally with a few of us in these days of Friends Reunited and Facebook. Ex-lovers turning up out of the blue has been done before, certainly, yet rarely has it been done better. Gillan does not opt for the easy classic romance, nor do the characters conform to stock love-interest types, yet in the end it all makes complete and utter sense as the structure follows its own internal logic.

The novel is full of wonderful moments of dark humour. Much of it involves the hapless Jim, lovable because humorously self-deprecating and yet, somehow, almost a tragic figure: in describing the sad, lost and lonely drunks and introverts who inhabit the local all-night cafe he remarks, 'I had been all of these things.'

The setting is a modern, familiar Glasgow but the mood and atmosphere is 40s film noir. I think Danny Gillan has created something quite remarkable here and I genuinely look forward to reading future works.

The Girl on the Swing
The Girl on the Swing
by Ali Cooper
Price: 8.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite informative as well as a bloomin' good read!, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Girl on the Swing (Paperback)
I don't always get pulled into novels that are written in the present tense: it seems, at times, to be a clumsy device that can - deliberately or otherwise - break down the fourth wall and leave one feeling unconvinced by the character or the narrative. However, in this case it works beautifully and in fact, it adds to the structure of the story. The present tense highlights the fact that much of the tale is set in the past as the main character, Julia, experiences 'flashbacks' (and at one point a 'flash-forward'). It is not just backfill, however - the writer seems to be suggesting that the past, present and future can exist at the same time, on the same plane. As this is an interest of mine, I found Ms Cooper's handling of the subject to be knowledgeable and informative.

The main story, however, is set very much in the present as Julia tries, on a daily basis, to confront what seems to her a pointless existence, with the recent loss of her son, an impending lawsuit for medical malpractice and a marriage that is growing colder and more distant by the day. What makes this character work for me is that there is real psychological depth as she seems, to me at least, to conform to a certain 'type' who responds to situations exactly as you would expect her to respond. The character is convincing and even recognisable as someone whom I am sure most of us have met in the course of our lives. She is overwhelmed with grief and anger and, in despair, she turns away from her partner and her friends and seeks to make sense of her world in an unconventional way. And who can blame her?

I mentioned in the title of this review that the book is informative and indeed it is - the writer seems to have many interests just as Julia herself does. She touches on areas as diverse as archaeology, psychology and medicine as well as, of course, reincarnation. Ms Cooper writes with conviction, pace and sensitivity and I look forward to reading her forthcoming new book.

Three Men in a Boat
Three Men in a Boat

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the funniest book ever written?, 25 Oct 2010
I think so!

It is a real, laugh-out-loud romp through a completely crazy boating trip up the Thames and I challenge you not to find something to chuckle over on every page!

The narrator is a pompous, self-congratulatory ass who seems entirely unaware of his own shortcomings while eminently critical of others'. The tone of the novel is tongue-in-cheek/ ironic with some unforgettable moments of true comic genius. I hesitate to outline any of the plot as I don't want to spoil it for you but I will say that the language and style are as fresh and immediate as anything you will read today.

3 TIER CHROME TOWEL STAND RACK CHROME BOW FRONTED NEW FREE POSTAGE OT UK MAINLAND ONLY
Offered by Online2Home
Price: 21.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, lightweight and overpriced!, 25 Oct 2010
I checked the height and width of this before I bought it and it seemed fine, but when it is all made up (quite easily) it just seems too small and flimsy to support more than a couple of hand towels. It fits neatly round my very small radiator which is good, but for the fairly hefty price I paid for it, it just does not seem that good a purchase. I have seen a very similar product for one third of the price in tesco and I wish I had gone there first.