Profile for GreenInk > Reviews

Dunoon bone china mug with warm hearts design in Jura shape
Dunoon bone china mug with warm hearts design in Jura shape
Offered by NURSERY THYME

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for drinking from, 19 Jan. 2016
A china mug with a jolly design

Arthur Price Easy Care Pair of Polishing Mitts
Arthur Price Easy Care Pair of Polishing Mitts

4.0 out of 5 stars Mitt for purpose, 19 Jan. 2016
They work very well and are easy to use

Dot Con
Dot Con

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice idea, but it palls quickly, 19 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Dot Con (Kindle Edition)
I started this book with high hopes of enjoying it, but unfortunately my interest waned very quickly. It is not that each individual story isn't funny, but just that after one has read a couple , the rest all feel the same. I applaud James Veitch for giving the scammers a cyber poke in the eye, but there was not enough in the idea to fill a book. This would have made an hilarious article in a Sunday newspaper supplement, but it was not enough to sustain a book's worth of interest (even a shortish book at this is).

Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike)
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time best., 18 Nov. 2015
Having read all three of the Cormoran Strike books, Career of Evil is a cut above the first two. Whilst I enjoyed A Cuckoo's Calling and Silkworm, I felt that they suffered by being overly long, with too many suspects and red herrings - all beautifully wrapped up at the end, but too much of a distraction. In Career of Evil, there are a limited number of suspects and the writing is far tighter. In interviews, JK Rowling has stated that she enjoyed writing this Cormoran Strike book the most and I think it shows. It is a real page turner and for me never dragged for a single moment.

Career of Evil is pretty dark, with stalking and dismemberment being central themes, but is a hugely enjoyable read.

SCOTTEVEST Travel Vest for Men (L, NAVY)
SCOTTEVEST Travel Vest for Men (L, NAVY)

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 29 Oct. 2015
A very good garment if you want to be one of those smug people who strolls onto a plane with nothing but a newspaper under your arm. I have on occasions used it to its full potential, carrying in it an iPad, Kindle, iPod, mobile phone, wallet, passport, travel documents, pens etc. and of course all this adds up to quite a weight, but it works. It is quite expensive which I didn't mind as it must be complicated to manufacture; my only slight reservation is that I am not sure how robust it is and how long it will last - time only will tell.

Michelin USA: New England, Hudson Valley Map 581 (Maps/Regional (Michelin))
Michelin USA: New England, Hudson Valley Map 581 (Maps/Regional (Michelin))
by Michelin Travel
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars A good map, 29 Oct. 2015
A very good map for a road trip

Expo 58
Expo 58

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 28 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Expo 58 (Kindle Edition)
This is my third Jonathan Coe book and I enjoyed it rather more than the others. It is not high literature, but good knockabout fun which kept me amused on a long plane journey. Reading "What a Carve Up" and "The House of Sleep", I had found the characters to be caricature goodies and baddies. What I enjoyed about Expo 58, was that the characters were more believable, less one-dimensional, and I became interested in and cared what happened to them.

The story which is set at an international exhibition in Belgium, is of Cold War intrigue that envelops a plucky Brit, Thomas Foley, a low-level Foreign Office employee who has been sent to Belgium as a permanent representative for the 6 month duration of the exhibition. It canters along at a nice pace and is brought to a satisfactory finale.

If you want something to read by a pool or on a journey, then I think you will romp through this and enjoy it as the story unfolds.

Edward Hopper 2016 - Large Deluxe Diary - Art Diary - 16.5 x 21.6 cm
Edward Hopper 2016 - Large Deluxe Diary - Art Diary - 16.5 x 21.6 cm
by teNeues
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent quality, 28 Oct. 2015
Every year we buy a family diary from this series, it happens to suit our needs in terms of size and layout perfectly. But each year we enjoy the high quality plates which decorate it and give the diary an upmarket feel.

The Piano Tuner
The Piano Tuner
by Daniel Mason

4.0 out of 5 stars The star of this book is the magic of Burma, 28 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Piano Tuner (Paperback)
This book has spawned some very lengthy reviews, which probably in itself is an indication that The Piano Tuner is worth a good look at. I won't repeat here a long synopsis of the plot, since there are many available already, but my recommendation is to read and enjoy this book for what it is. The whole basis of the plot is regrettably rather thin and maybe not even adequately explained; it takes a while to get going but when it does it sucks you in and Burma weaves its magical spell. The plot which meandered for a while, accelerates towards the end and left me wanting more - more of this book and more money with which to book a trip to modern Myanmar.

The main character, Edgar Drake, is beguiled by the country and the writing of Daniel Mason, while from time to time a little quirky, brought me to feel the same way.

The Old Grey Whistle Test Live
The Old Grey Whistle Test Live

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable selection of great live tracks, 11 Sept. 2015
I am not sure why it has taken the BBC so long to get round to it, but I really enjoyed this collection of songs from the great years of The Old Grey Whistle Test. It is a very good selection of live tracks on three CD's, which makes great listening.

Can we have more please!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7