Profile for Mr Punch > Reviews

Mr Punch

November (Picador Poetry)
November (Picador Poetry)
by Sean O'Brien

1.0 out of 5 stars RE: This World Consists of Two Sorts of People.., 22 Jun. 2011
Sean O'Brien has received numerous awards and prizes in the poetry world but when he writes in this collection 'This world as we find it consists/ Of two sorts of people; those here in this room and the rest, On the one hand those present and then the great herd...' I wonder what sort of people can possibly see merit in this and I'd like to ask them what merit this is. This is no grand attempt at irony, it's something much darker and best avoided.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 9:53 AM BST

Rain
Rain
by Don Paterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Hyperbole, Froth and The Emperor's Clothes, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Rain (Hardcover)
I am astonished by the reviews of this book - because I find no heart or disturbance at play in these poems, and form is never enough to hold a poem or a collection together. The form here is used to disguise the absence of feeling. The collection lacks authenticity, utterly, and I get this feeling that somewhere in the background a finger is constantly wagging. His work is often cited as being musical but I only hear nagging and preaching, and having heard him read his work, unlike many of his contemporaries,I will not remember or return to it. It simply does not translate from the page via my auditory memory of his reading aloud. There are no coherent ideas, there is a barren imagination and no true feel for the lyric. It beggars belief that this poet has received so much approbation with so little to say.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 9:46 AM BST

Tilt (Cape Poetry)
Tilt (Cape Poetry)
by Jean Sprackland

2.0 out of 5 stars Diluted Air, 25 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Tilt (Cape Poetry) (Paperback)
I was recommended this poets work and enthusiastically sought out a copy, but sadly I found the poems pale and slight, without complexity and too obvious for my taste. Imagery was tired and not original, as if I'd seen it all before and executed better by others. Very disappointing.

Once Upon a Hill: Love in Troubled Times
Once Upon a Hill: Love in Troubled Times
by Glenn Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Is the tank empty?, 25 Sept. 2009
I've read most of Glenn Patterson's novels and enjoyed them thoroughly for their often darkly comic portrayal of modern Belfast - at times brilliantly captured - but I am sorry to say I found this book banal and its self conscious tone rendered it weak and lack lustre - as if the writer was tired. Its a shame as I had hoped for more.

The Way I Dressed During the Revolution
The Way I Dressed During the Revolution
by Jane Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars A Daring Debut, 25 Sept. 2009
This book was shortlisted for the Glen Dimplex New Writers Award and one of the poems I noticed in the Forward Book of Poetry and another in 'Out of Fashion', edited by Carol Ann Duffy. These poems are sensuous and bold, dealing with complex ideas and relationships in a moving and exceptionally original voice. She has a command of and commitment to womens' history which is explored and revealed in many of the poems. With an eye for dress history and literature she weaves surprising and disturbing metaphors into the poems. I would also recommend this to art and fashion practitioners and anyone interested in cross disciplinary work.

Walking the Block
Walking the Block
by Jane Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant & Innovative Mistresspiece, 25 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Walking the Block (Hardcover)
This stunningly beautiful book has just been shortlisted in the Literature Category of the British Book Design and Production Awards - and deservedly so. It interrogates the scope of biography and poetry at the same time as recovering the creative working lives of the two modernist textile artists and handblock printers, Phyllis Barron and Dorothy Larcher. It is a remarkable literary achievement and I saw the writer talk and read from the book at St Ives recently. If you get the opportunity to see Jane Weir alongside her book don't miss it.

This is a refreshing and intelligent work and it is in stark contrast to much modern poetry which is bland and introspective.