Profile for M. Acott > Reviews

Content by M. Acott

M. Acott

Page: 1 | 2
Disney Infinity Messenger Bag (PS3/Xbox 360/Nintendo Wii U/Wii/3DS)
Disney Infinity Messenger Bag (PS3/Xbox 360/Nintendo Wii U/Wii/3DS)
Offered by ClicGames UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great storage bag, 29 Dec. 2014
Brought this messenger bag as a solution to the dozens of Infinity characters scattered around the kids bedrooms. There are a lot of advantages to the bag including it is well made and sturdy (made with good quality, hard wearing materials), Is kid friendly, holds a lot of Infinity characters, holds the base snuggly, Has movable inserts (velcro) and plenty of storage for discs, collector cards etc. I can't fault the internal design at all but if I had one gripe it's that it does not have a fastening on the front flap so if the bag tips over it will open out. Not the end of the world as everything fits securely inside just annoying more than anything. Is a great solution for Infinity characters and the bag itself is far superior than some cheaper alternatives however, I did not pay anywhere near £40 odd and nor would I. It's worth around £30ish in my opinion.

Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Lions and for Africa.
by Tony Fitzjohn

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky and interesting read, 18 Dec. 2014
You have to admire Tony Fitz-John, the troublesome little bugger from London who read a book as a child (Tarzan) and decided when he was old enough to travel he would up sticks and move to another country in pursuit of the life of his book hero. So off he goes to Africa where he seems to bumble his way around until a meeting with now legendary grandfather of wild cat conservation, George Adamson changes his life. Although Fitz-John did not write the book, the events contained were drawn from his personal memories, notes and other written material. Working with Adamson, he drew on a new found passion for wildlife and African big cats and I bet he never had an inkling all those years ago when he was a rowdy twenty something that he would today become one of the most respected conservationists of our modern day. Tony has a story to tell and an amazing one at that. From his early days working with Adamson at his remote Campi Ya Simba compound in Kora to the driving force behind turning an area of Tanzania into a national park today, Tony's achievements and dedication to the wildlife of a country he is not native to are remarkable. He has battled loneliness, drunkeness, temporary imprisonment, governments trying to deport him, officials trying to oust him and all in the name of conservation. His story is touching, witty and heartbreaking in equal measures. Fitz-John's personality also resonates strongly throughout the book. He is clearly a man with a sense of humoour and whom doesn't take himself too seriously. If his African adventure isn't interesting enough the pace of the book and his amusing quips make this a thoroughly enjoyable read. It's clear he has grown from a conservation novice to a respected and world renowned conservationist. I felt as though we were old friends and he was relaying his personal accounts to me and when the book finished I wanted to know more. Skillful writing but a thoroughly enjoyable read too.

The White Bone
The White Bone
by Barbara Gowdy

4.0 out of 5 stars ... normally only read factual wildlife books but this was recommended to me as a "must read" and since I ..., 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The White Bone (Paperback)
Never heard of Barbara Gowdy before and I normally only read factual wildlife books but this was recommended to me as a "must read" and since I have a passion for wildlife (ellies in particular) I thought it was worth a read. Now it's worth mentioning early in my review the style of this book is very different from any other I have read, with a perspective of the world coming from the mind of an elephant. You will either love or hate it, if like me you opt for the latter, stick with it to around the third chapter. Not because the book is slow or the subject matter uninteresting but simply because the writing style and perspective takes a while to get your head around but once you surrender to the mind of the elephant the book is enjoyable, creative, moving and thought provoking. Writing a book from an elephants perspective (hind leggers are humans for example) is a bit of gamble and one that could have fallen quite flat without imagination and conviction but Gowdy successfully draws the reader in. The overall story is one of survival in a landscape where human hunters are rife, threatening the majestic elephant (and other animals). Is it worth a read? Yes, it really is a good book, well written and with a ton of imagination and one that anyone who enjoys stories about wildlife will enjoy but it's not a book every reader will take to easily.

Across the Ravaged Land
Across the Ravaged Land
by Nick Brandt

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Brant's Photography Is As Iconic As His Subject Matter, 18 Dec. 2014
Getting hold of genuine Nick Brandt books are like getting hold of hens teeth and for good reason. His books sell quickly because quite simply they offer some of the most stunning and superior photography of the natural African world. Across The Ravaged Land offers what appear to be at first glance simple but powerful photography but actually his seemingly simple compositions take the viewer into a much deeper and more moving image. It really sounds pretentious to say his images have the ability to emotionally move but they really do. For any wildlife lover, particularly that of African wildlife, Nick Brandt publications will not disapoint. His books are expensive but they are worth absolutely every penny. from the quality f the overall image to the quality of the print, paper and binding. You can wait a long time for Brandt books to come back into publication (I should know, I waited more than A year For On This Earth, A Shadow Falls) but they are worth the wait.

Vax Steam Detergent Citrus Burst 1L
Vax Steam Detergent Citrus Burst 1L

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the Vax brand and can not fault my vacuum ..., 12 Dec. 2014
I love the Vax brand and can not fault my vacuum cleaner, carpet washer or steam cleaner in their ability to provide superior cleaning and I will always opt for genuine Vax accessories because I feel they offer better value for money in the long run. I do however make an exception with the 1 liter detergent. Yes it is pricey compared to cheaper brands and yes it works out more expensive if you use your steam cleaner on a regular basis (like I do). My Vax steamer works very well providing a superior clean over many surfaces including floors and tiles without using detergent and if I am brutally honest I really don't see a great deal of difference when the detergent is added (other than it seems to make lighter work of harder areas to clean such as grouting and some stubborn floor stains and grease on kitchen tiles). The citrus scent is also almost non existent when the product is in use (although it does have a lovely vibrant scent in the bottle). I like the product and it will last me a very long time because I only intend to use it on ground in dirt (so not very often) other than that I wouldn't bother adding any detergent to my steamer or I will just buy a cheaper brand (and it almost pains me to say that because I love Vax) but I just can not justify paying the extra £££ for this product when I don't really see any better results. It's not bad, it's just not great for the price.

Vax Genuine Total Home 8x Velcro Microfibre Multi-Colour Cleaning Pads
Vax Genuine Total Home 8x Velcro Microfibre Multi-Colour Cleaning Pads
Offered by Dynamic Deals Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars I prefer the genuine Vax accessories because I feel for the few extra pennies you pay you get far superior goods. These pads are, 12 Dec. 2014
I have a Vax Steam Cleaner (model: S86-FS-C) and these fit perfectly (although I think they are compatible with all Vax steam cleaners. I prefer the genuine Vax accessories because I feel for the few extra pennies you pay you get far superior goods. These pads are nice and thick. Trap and hold the dirt when cleaning, are made with good quality materials, are harder wearing than cheaper alternatives and don't fall apart in the washing machine. They also withstand a lot more wear and tear too so actually work out far more cost effective in the long run as they don't need replacing so often. They also came in a little bag too which is perfect for storing them in. A good quality set for a reasonable price and a set that will last a long time too if looked after. Highly recommend.

Golf Bag Novelty Pen Set
Golf Bag Novelty Pen Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Golf Fans, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Golf Bag Novelty Pen Set (Sports)
Brought two of these as fun and novelty items for Christmas for a couple of golf fans. Really pleased with purchase. The set, although small, has a lot of attention to detail, the pens all work and it really is quite fun and quirky and makes a great stocking filler). I had just expected it to be little more than a fun item that would just sit on a desk but in fact it is quite purposeful too as you can also store normal pens in the holder. When the ink runs out though, I see o way of replacing the little golf club pens (it would be nice if spares are sold somewhere). All in all a nice little gift for any golf fanatic. Comes in a nice little box for easy wrapping. Highly recommend.

Kids Army Camouflage Walkie Talkies With Base Station - Kids Army Den
Kids Army Camouflage Walkie Talkies With Base Station - Kids Army Den

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok but it's not great, 9 Dec. 2014
I purchased this for a friends little boy for Christmas who is obsessed with a things army related. The set contains a base unit with built in walkie talkie and 2 additional handsets. The screen and front panels are just stickers stuck on the unit (I didn't expect anything else for the price) and it does look pretty authentic (there is also a little flap at the back of the unit which opens for storage). The walkie talkie themselves are pretty good and very easy for a child to quickly learn how to work (press button when you want to speak and release when you have finished) and there is also a button on the front for Morse code (little more than an overbearingly loud bleep tbh).

Whilst the set works well (we tried it before wrapping) it does have a reasonable range although it seems to work much better when there is little to no interference from other electrical equipment and solid walls). We tested both in the home and outside and the sound quality varies depending on obstructions (for example it was quite crackly when being used between living room and kitchen but almost perfect sound quality when I walked half way down my street other unit was in main house). It seemed to work best outdoors where thick internal walls don't hamper the sound.

My gripes with the product is when in use (both walkie talkie and base unit do have an on/off switch) there is no volume control and when turned on they do have a very loud crackle. Not the biggest problem although slightly annoying. My biggest gripe however is the overall quality of the items. They do seem to be pretty sturdy and they do look authentic but out of the box they also look very cheap with both base unit and walkie talkies feeling very light weight and cheap. When I first opened and removed from the box my heart sank as I honestly thought looking at the overall quality that they wouldn't work. Thankfully this is not a main Christmas present but part of several other army related items otherwise I probably would have returned.

There is also an additional expense for the batteries (3 x 9 volt batteries are required). One for the base unit, the other two for the handheld units). This will lighten your wallet by another £7 odd depending on where you buy the batteries.

All in all this is an ok purchase and although I would recommend for all little army fans I do not feel the build quality is worth the price (especially when you bung on the cost of the batteries on top). One can only hope the batteries have a reasonable longevity otherwise this cheap little set ceases to be worth it.

Kids Camo Helmet & Assualt Vest - Fancy Army Soldier Fancy Dress Up Costume Outfit - Fits ages 5-12
Offered by Kids Army Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little kit, 9 Dec. 2014
I brought this set for Christmas for a friend who has a little boy aged 6 who is obsessed with all things army. For the price, you really do get good quality items that are durable and very well made. The jacket is made of a good quality material and is well stitched together and withstands a lot of rough and tumble play. Plenty of storage pockets (all of a good size to fit all manor of play things). Likewise the helmet is sturdy and robust and also provides a good fit for a small child. I purchased this along with the kids army bag which comes packed with lots of durable play items such as compass, water bottle, torch and other things. I highly recommend both items and seller. All items arrive in good time and are well packaged. A sound investment for any little boy or girl who wants to play army!

Nick Brandt: On This Earth, A Shadow Falls
Nick Brandt: On This Earth, A Shadow Falls
by Nick Brandt

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have an appreciation for quality photography and African wildlife you won't be disappointed. Images are focused powerful, 9 Sept. 2014
I've waited over a year for On This Earth, A Shadow Falls to come back into print and although the book is expensive, boy it is worth every penny and then some. If you have an appreciation for quality photography and African wildlife you won't be disappointed. Images are focused powerful and absolutely stunning and a testament to Brandt's photographic techniques, experience and patience to get the perfect images. I've read other reviews that are quite critical of the blank pages contained in the book however, in my opinion, blank white pages between the images allow you to focus and concentrate on only the one image without distraction.

All images are in black and white as Brandt has captured some pretty impressive images of Africa's wildlife in it's natural state but each image providing it's own unique insight into the photographed animal. A lion in contemplation, a leopard on the lookout, an elephant herd mid migration. These are all examples of pictures most of us have seen before but definitely not with the depth that Brandt has captured.

My husband was gobsmacked when I told him how much I paid for the book but upon opening even he has been engrossed by the images and although he has little interest in pro photography he too has an appreciation for Brandt's work.

The only sad thing about the images is knowing some of the animals photographed have perished at the hands of humans. Igor, a large African bull featured on the of the book drinking peacefully at a waterhole was poached for his ivory.as were some of the elephant herds also featured. Brandt's work is a poignant reminder of the beauty of African wildlife.

Page: 1 | 2